• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre- Hero Marvels!!!!
16 16

15,011 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Great book and a very nice copy ! Lots of eye appeal and strong cover colors. Congrats.

Thank you!

Unfortunately it may be put up for sale in the near future if my grail quest continues. However for now I'm enjoying it, definitely one of my favorite SA covers!

11 hours ago, KirbyJack said:

My first thought was Astonish 13, but ST 97 is right up there.

To me #13 is a relative newcomer because of GOTG. Five years ago nobody cared about Groot any more than they did Goom or Grottu. I still don’t, really, and don’t consider it an A lister in my book.

10 hours ago, Howling Mad said:

Why #97? I recognize that it has the proto Aunt May and Uncle Ben, but I suspect that may not be why it's considered a good issue.

To me their prototypes by Ditko is enough. YMMV.

Edited by mysterio

7 minutes ago, mysterio said:

To me #13 is a relative newcomer because of GOTG. Five years ago nobody cared about Groot any more than they did Goom or Grottu. I still don’t, really, and don’t consider it an A lister in my book.

My love of Astonish 13 has little to do with GotG. And you're exactly correct when you place Groot as an equal to Goom! 

My PHM A-List is the 6 monsters The Hulk fought in annual 5. Those are the issues that got me into pre-hero Marvel, and those are what I kept when I sold! 

9 minutes ago, KirbyJack said:

My love of Astonish 13 has little to do with GotG. And you're exactly correct when you place Groot as an equal to Goom! 

My PHM A-List is the 6 monsters The Hulk fought in annual 5. Those are the issues that got me into pre-hero Marvel, and those are what I kept when I sold! 

That’s fair. The price of #13 has everything to do with GOTG, as does the current love of Groot outside of the regular PHM collector base. 

I think of Fin Fang Foom as the all-time #1 (who wouldn’t?), followed by Xemnu/Hulk. Then all the others arranged by personal preference (Gargantus makes my list if only for the covers).

7 minutes ago, KirbyJack said:

There are some sentimental favorite stories, and in one case a house ad, that also factor in. I once had a complete PHM collection, but these (plus 1or 2 stragglers) are the ones I just couldn’t live without.

9AEFF916-681F-4607-BE2F-750F346EE8C4.thumb.jpeg.b7c717779b6ba8dced7d1863270369b5.jpeg

Those are all excellent choices. ST #95 is the first pre-hero in my family (my brother bought one back in the late 80’s as we were becoming serious collectors). TOS #9 was either my first slabbed pre-hero or one of the first handful, I got it at a Chicago Comicon back in the day. I’ve never owned either TTA #13 or 15, mainly because I’ve never run across a keeper at a price I was willing to pay. That bit me with the #13, as I saw plenty back in the 90’s but never picked up a placeholder. Obviously that was a mistake in hindsight!

1 hour ago, mysterio said:

Those are all excellent choices. ST #95 is the first pre-hero in my family (my brother bought one back in the late 80’s as we were becoming serious collectors). TOS #9 was either my first slabbed pre-hero or one of the first handful, I got it at a Chicago Comicon back in the day. I’ve never owned either TTA #13 or 15, mainly because I’ve never run across a keeper at a price I was willing to pay. That bit me with the #13, as I saw plenty back in the 90’s but never picked up a placeholder. Obviously that was a mistake in hindsight!

My first exposure was buying Astonishing Tales 21-24 off the spinner racks (Colossus and FFF)  - between my little brother and myself we read them to they fell apart. Then got heavy into the Marvel silver-age superhero craze until Nelson Dodd turned me onto an Amazing Adult Fantasy #11 one weekend and that pretty much set the hook for me. Picked up PHMs off and on until deciding in 2009 to focus on completing the set.

ST89 is a must have for any serious PHM-file and I'm obviously a fan of Goom and his offspring Googam (my avatar). My newest OSPG is #34 and that still doesn't call out TTA13 - only the "prototype" issues have a small price bump and notation compared to the rest. So the Groot love is fairly recent but if memory serves, it started before the GotG announcements. ST97 was called out around OSPG #22 (the Atlas Implosion issue-my favorite!) so that became one of the bigger books in the genre.

And kj is right - Stan and company's crazy names and goofy monsters must have made for some fun banter in the office!

-bc