• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre- Hero Marvels!!!!
16 16

15,011 posts in this topic

Being an Anna May Wong fan too it’s cool that Stan got the name from her 1934 film since he was about 12 at the time.

When I was a kid, I loved going to the movies. When I say a kid, I mean 10, 11, 12 years old. And there was one movie I'd seen. I remember nothing about it except the name. It took place in China, I believe, and the name of the movie was Chu Chin Chow. Now I have no idea what it meant — I don't know if it was somebody's name or a country or a city, but I never forgot that name. Those three words just stuck in my memory: Chu Chin Chow. So when I was looking for the name of a monster, I remember Chu Chin Chow ... and that particular meter, that beat, somehow led to Fin Fang Foom.(Transcript of 2005 interview)

2 hours ago, mysterio said:

I think it says something that FFF got his own toy! If you don’t have one this build a figure is a must for any pre-hero fan. 

423570BB-EA34-4F0E-BF5C-0146328EACC2.jpeg

Very cool m !

I've got the cheap version (but it has a button in the back to make his wings flap)

finfangfoom.jpg

1 hour ago, bc said:

Very cool m !

I've got the cheap version (but it has a button in the back to make his wings flap)

finfangfoom.jpg

I’ve wanted to get that one too. Eventually it’ll get added to the collection. There’s room on my little monster shelf with the FFF build a figure, FFF Bowen bust, and a Groot Funko. 

11 minutes ago, KirbyJack said:

Remember the holographic game table in the Millennium Falcon?

I’m waiting for a version of that with PHM monsters as the game pieces.

:headbang:

10 hours ago, KirbyJack said:

There are some sentimental favorite stories, and in one case a house ad, that also factor in. I once had a complete PHM collection, but these (plus 1or 2 stragglers) are the ones I just couldn’t live without.

9AEFF916-681F-4607-BE2F-750F346EE8C4.thumb.jpeg.b7c717779b6ba8dced7d1863270369b5.jpeg

Now hang on a second.  You're telling me that Googam, Son of Goom, didn't make the cut??!!

16 hours ago, bc said:

Hmmm, need to pick a reader copy of that up at the next con. I remember the cover, but that's about it. 

You and me both. I had one in my Hulk run once upon a time, but sold that off about 10 years ago to raise funds when I started attending cons again. 

On ‎8‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 3:22 PM, mysterio said:

I think it says something that FFF got his own toy! If you don’t have one this build a figure is a must for any pre-hero fan. 

423570BB-EA34-4F0E-BF5C-0146328EACC2.jpeg

There is also a nice Eaglemoss lead figurine that was produced. It shows up on eBay but is normally around 50 bucks or so last time I checked. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 8/8/2018 at 9:17 AM, mysterio said:

You and me both. I had one in my Hulk run once upon a time, but sold that off about 10 years ago to raise funds when I started attending cons again. 

Thanks to All American Comics & Cards, picked up an IH Annual 5 at yesterdays NEO Comic Con in Lorain, OH :banana:

Very fun read! Love the Hulk's nicknames for the "dumb monsters". Always fun to see the references to the original sources (like Diablo "Originally presented in Tales of Suspense #9" and Goom "Way back in Tales of Suspense #15, we kid you not."). Leveraging the continuity of the Marvel Universe all the way back to the PHM era!

Thanks for the recommendation all !

-bc

On 8/20/2018 at 10:49 AM, KirbyJack said:

I’m only sorry you didn’t get to read it when you were 11!

It’s certainly not Watchmen, but it sure made for a fun afternoon. Actually, more like 6 fun afternoons!

Hmmm, how did you know I would have just turned 11 when that book came out? 

Maybe I shouldn't ask ..... :)

-bc