• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre- Hero Marvels!!!!
17 17

15,213 posts in this topic

On 7/19/2024 at 6:50 PM, Albert Tatlock said:

But surely that is you in the forefront of the charge towards the monster, in a chivalrous act of self-sacrifice to protect your defenceless womenfolk.

Then again, you might be just out of shot, cravenly seeking safety in a nearby ditch, not too far from my refuge.

Sincerely hope it is the former.

comicvandoom.jpg

And if I were even a little short-sighted, these two covers would be deja vu all over again.

comicjim66.webp

Edited by Albert Tatlock
add 1 line

What I really appreciate about these 2 pre-heros is that they are just about a perfect matching pair.

The centrally positioned advancing monster, the panic-stricken humans fleeing in disarray, the descending shades of the background sky, the gnarled and stunted trees, the bleak and desolate landscape. They bookend each other admirably. They even have a near-identical overall colour scheme.

Wonder if Jack dashed these off in the same sitting? They have the same cover date, so maybe he used one as the template for the other.

Anyone suggest a better matching pair?

And, a considerable bonus is their freedom from unsightly word balloons. The reader can size up the situation at a glance, without the usual exclamations of 'Nothing can stop (insert name of menace), mankind is doomed!'.

There was a lively debate in, I think, the lettercols of the Julius Schwartz stable of titles at DC, on the effect of word balloons on the cover, and the consensus, with which I heartily agreed, was that they were unnecessary at best, and intrusive at worst.

Captions could fulfil the same objective, and sometimes all that was necessary was the story title.

Below is just about the worst example I remember. The word balloon tells the reader what has happened, what is happening, and what will eventually come to pass.

Why fish out your dime to find out what you have just been told?

comictta17.jpg

Superman_v.1_141.webp

Edited by Albert Tatlock
add 1 line

On 7/21/2024 at 3:10 PM, Albert Tatlock said:

What I really appreciate about these 2 pre-heros is that they are just about a perfect matching pair.

The centrally positioned advancing monster, the panic-stricken humans fleeing in disarray, the descending shades of the background sky, the gnarled and stunted trees, the bleak and desolate landscape. They bookend each other admirably. They even have a near-identical overall colour scheme.

Wonder if Jack dashed these off in the same sitting? They have the same cover date, so maybe he used one as the template for the other.

Anyone suggest a better matching pair?

And, a considerable bonus is their freedom from unsightly word balloons. The reader can size up the situation at a glance, without the usual exclamations of 'Nothing can stop (insert name of menace), mankind is doomed!'.

There was a lively debate in, I think, the lettercols of the Julius Schwartz stable of titles at DC, on the effect of word balloons on the cover, and the consensus, with which I heartily agreed, was that they were unnecessary at best, and intrusive at worst.

Captions could fulfil the same objective, and sometimes all that was necessary was the story title.

Below is just about the worst example I remember. The word balloon tells the reader what has happened, what is happening, and what will eventually come to pass.

Why fish out your dime to find out what you have just been told?

comictta17.jpg

Superman_v.1_141.webp

Agree totally on the verbiage minimalism.

The real clincher is when you opened up TTA17 and JIM66, you got to see these:

tta_17_1.jpg.1b164c520b9d586b2b8c62b37ae08403.jpgjim_66_1.thumb.jpg.1f6eb5cc0db0c32d00b600e757e7a102.jpg

How could a kid not resist forking over a dime for those!

-bc

On 7/21/2024 at 9:47 PM, bc said:

Agree totally on the verbiage minimalism.

The real clincher is when you opened up TTA17 and JIM66, you got to see these:

tta_17_1.jpg.1b164c520b9d586b2b8c62b37ae08403.jpgjim_66_1.thumb.jpg.1f6eb5cc0db0c32d00b600e757e7a102.jpg

How could a kid not resist forking over a dime for those!

-bc

The hardback reprints are fine as far as they go, but I find the glossy paper and the recolouring somewhat off-putting, a bit garish. Compare the splash from TTA # 17 in the reprint with the original (below). I wish they could have done them with the original type paper stock, but that's progress, I suppose.

And those who have chosen to entomb their mags in a slice of plastic now have only the covers to peruse. They will miss out on the backup stories, especially those by Ditko.

Of course, he will be longest remembered for his work on Spider-Man, but in my opinion he was at his peak with the short 5 page or so efforts in the pre-hero Marvels. The atmosphere of mystery common to many of these stood him in good stead, as he channelled those little gems for Doctor Strange's trips to alien dimensions.

Two Ditko offerings below, from the pair of mags mentioned earlier.

comictta171.jpg

comictta172.jpg

comictta173.jpg

comictta174.jpg

comictta175.jpg

comictta176.jpg

comicjim661.jpg

comicjim662.jpg

comicjim663.jpg

comicjim664.jpg

comicjim665.jpg

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED! (PART 1)

The last couple of UKPV pre-hero Strange Tales have trickled in, and I now have a full run of all 25 available (ST78 has no pence variant, more's the pity).

Still chipping away at the other titles. Not far off completing Tales To Astonish. Then I need to get the cents copies, then the appropriate Creatures Roam/Monsters Dwell, then the Miller Mystic, Spellbound etc variations,  then the Alan Class with ST covers, then the Mexican editions, and then....................... It's going to be a hectic couple of days.

comicst100 (2).jpg

comicst99 (2).jpg

comicst98 (2).jpg

comicst97 (2).jpg

comicst96 (3).jpg

comicst95 (2).jpg

comicst94 (2).jpg

comicst93 (2).jpg

comicst92 (2).jpg

comicst91 (3).jpg

comicst90 (2).jpg

comicst89 (2).jpg