• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre- Hero Marvels!!!!
17 17

15,038 posts in this topic

I agree that the ST 67 and the JIM 50 are just as significant as TTA #1 and TOS #1. The JIM 50 came as at the same time, Jan 1959 as the two number ones. The ST 67 was a month later. Oversteet makes absolutely no reference to these books as being unique in any way. Just run of the mill issues as ST 66 or JIM 49. Its a disgrace. I had this conversation with other collectors over the years and I believe a few have brought this to the Overstreet guide people's attention, but to no avail.

Some great posts guys. DRX, your TOS 15 looks awesome. Easily looks 8.5 or so. I was going to post my ST 67, but it pales in comparison to Rosland's 8.5, WHOA !!. Here are some others. Just finding some of these issues in a solid fine condition is an accomplishment and worthy addition to any prehero collection.

STR TALES  68

STR TALES 69

STR TALES 70

STR TALES 71

STR TALES 72

STR TALES 73

The highest graded copy of this issue is a CGC 9.0 which sold several months back on the Link (I think) for over $ 1700.00. Stunning!

STR TALES 76

I

STR TALES  68

STR TALES 69

STR TALES 70

I always wondered who inked these covers....probably Chris Rule, but they seem a bit more detailed than his usual work...they definitely seem to be the work of the same hand. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Back from dinner, and always willing to oblige

ST-067-85rosland.jpg

Beautiful. If it's the same book, I remember bidding on this a few years ago at, I think, Heritage: 8.5, white pages, perfect registration -- a real gem.

I believe it to be an historically significant book as a first hint of the Marvel Age --- the first Lee/Kirby/Ditko/Heck book of the long running series. (thumbs u

How does this book hint at the Marvel Age?

:popcorn:

Back from dinner, and always willing to oblige

ST-067-85rosland.jpg

Beautiful. If it's the same book, I remember bidding on this a few years ago at, I think, Heritage: 8.5, white pages, perfect registration -- a real gem.

I believe it to be an historically significant book as a first hint of the Marvel Age --- the first Lee/Kirby/Ditko/Heck book of the long running series. (thumbs u

How does this book hint at the Marvel Age?

:popcorn:

JIM 50/ST 67 are when the Kirby/Ditko work began.

Here are a few TOSs that I finally got around to scanning!

TOS_09.jpg

TOS_10.jpg

TOS_11.jpg

Pre Hero marvels are some of the most fascinating comics ever. For me they are kind of acomic history analogy to a period after dinosaurs, but before man. I own the OA splash of TOS #11, ( http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=520048&GSub=82294 ) a scene somewhat similiar to the cover, and will probably never sell it. Great stuff guys, thanks for posting them.

Joe

Posted this one some time back. Not seen too often. Another one of my $10.00 purchases twenty-five years ago. Sorry the pic is so small. Photobuckets not co-operating.

DRX

CCF08032009_00000.jpg

Edited by DRX

TOS_09.jpg

TOS_10.jpg

TOS_11.jpg

Pre Hero marvels are some of the most fascinating comics ever. For me they are kind of acomic history analogy to a period after dinosaurs, but before man. I own the OA splash of TOS #11, ( http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=520048&GSub=82294 ) a scene somewhat similiar to the cover, and will probably never sell it. Great stuff guys, thanks for posting them.

Joe

TOS 11 is one of the coolest of them all....congrats on that Joe. Now all I have to do is figure out how to get RICK STARR to sell that TTA 20.....another one of the coolest of them all. GOD BLESS...

TOS_11.jpg

Joe

TOS 11 is one of the coolest of them all....congrats on that Joe. Now all I have to do is figure out how to get RICK STARR to sell that TTA 20.....another one of the coolest of them all. GOD BLESS...

Korvac has my old 7.5 White Pager now...at the time last year was in the top 6 in Census...gotta love those brown covers! :headbang: