• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The night uncle Ray got stood up for a movie date

8 posts in this topic

It was back in 1941, or so the story was told me. The war was on, but not everybody was able to go and stick their finger in Hitlers eye. Especially people with disabilities. My uncle Ray was like that. The army wouldn't .....couldn't take him cuz he had a wooden leg. He used to joke about it and would tell us kids whenever he came around, "go ahead and kick me in the leg as hard as you can". We were amazed how he never flinched, but just took it with a smile. My Aunt Cathy, Rays wife was killed in an automobile accident a few years earlier, and he said he wouldn't take off her ring until he found the girl who he could wear a ring for. So he liked to go on dates. Uncle Ray was my hero.

metropics4filmgradenocolor_zps99c53622.jpg

Uncle Ray was pretty hip to all the artsy stuff goin on around town back then. He was pretty up on the latest music, movies and even comic books being produced. Well, this one night he gives this girl a call, and she's a sweet little number, and he asks her if she'd like to go out to the picture show. That an old classic was playin down at the Bijou. That it was called Metropolis and that it was destined to become one of the great film visions ever made. So she says ok....but she'd have to meet him there on account of her father didn't approve of men who didn't go to war while all their fellows did. So Ray, with a sigh says "ok". It gets tiresome explaining over and over to people why he couldn't join in the fight.

metropics16filmgrainnocolor_zpsbad206f4.jpg

So Uncle Ray is waiting and waiting in the theatre lobby when suddenly the phone rings. Since he has nothing else to do but read the comic book he picked up at the corner stand, he decides to answer it.... and guess what? Yea, its the girl !

metropics14filmgrainnocolorsmartfix_zps382025cb.jpg

She starts in with a couple of excuses, and then lowering her voice to a whisper tells him that really its her father who forbid her to go see that German trash.... and then she disappears saying that her pop wants to talk to him. So he waits for a moment....

metropics8filmgrainnocolor_zps74874eb2.jpg

All of a sudden, this angry threatening and abusive voice comes on the line screaming that german art is not art, that its the creativity of Satan's children, and that if Uncle Ray had the gall to invite his daughter out to see something as evil as that, then he must be a Nazi too

metropics10filmgrainnocolor_zpsc949a8de.jpg

And furthermore, if he couldn't find a theatre that showed a John Wayne or Bob Hope movie then he wasn't worth two cents and a stick of gum as far as he was concerned.....

metropics9filmgrainnocolor_zps171a57e2.jpg

By this time Ray is fuming mad and tells the girls father that he wouldn't know Cary Grant from Stan Lee !! And then he slams down the phone and storms out of the theatre, leaving his 10 cent comic book on the phone.

metropics21filmgrainnocolor_zps2f097c33.jpg

It wasn't till a week later that Uncle Ray found out that the girls father WAS STAN LEE !!

Damn straight !! I had to have this one custom made. Cost WAAAAY more than the reproduction poster did (shrug)