• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Most Upsetting EBAY Transactions.

10 posts in this topic

I've a had few bad purchases on EBAY, which have included someone taking $300 from me and not sending the book. He kept giving me excuses about him moving but his boxes not arriving, him visiting his sick daughter in Philadelphia, etc. I finally got a hold of him on his cell phone, and he was in Hawaii with his girl friend (great!). I filed fraud Complaints, contacted the authorities in his state, but nothing happened.

However, the biggest fraud occurred last year, when I was fairly new to EBAY. This one person had listed a bunch of early Silver Age Marvel and DC books. The books had scans shown and were listed in excellent and superb conditions. After the bidding was completed on all his books, I wound up with X-Men 1-10, Avengers #2, JLA#1 and a lot of 20 SA books. The total came out to $5,000, and I sent him a personal check. I was assuming that the books were in FN / FN+ range from the scans. The person had only 7 feedbacks but were all for key books, such as AF#15. As I was checking his feedbacks, I noticed the 6th one was from a person who stated the books were in much better condition than described. I clicked on that persons purchases and noticed the same books sold to me. The kicker was that most of these books were CGC graded, low grade, restored books. The seller had used 2 separate ID's and was taking his recently bought restored books out of their CGC slabs and selling them as his 30 year old collection. I became sure when I noticed the same pencil marks on the scans for the books I had purchased. I quickly called my bank, and thankfully was able to cancel the check 7 days after I had sent it. I called the person and he denied everything but was very scared when I threatened to expose him. The weird thing was that he had aleady sent the books before the check cleared. However, once I received the books I sent them right back to him at my own expense. From that point on, I only purchase books from reputable sellers.

Does anyone else have any weird tales to tell from their EBAY experiences?

Cutypie82

foreheadslap.gif Search that name here and you'll be even more greatfull you got that check canceled.

You know I almost won some stuff from this guy when I was new to ebay last year. I got suspicious just because all he had were key books with basically the same history behind them. I didn't know any better, so I talked to my local shop (who deals a lot on Ebay) and he told me that I should back off and see what happens with a few of the auctions after they close. I followed his advice and luckily was out bid on everything. About the same time I read some pretty negative stuff on the boards. Lucky for me. Glad you were able to cancel the check in time. tonofbricks.gif

I've stopped using ebay to purchase comics, aside from a few reputable people on my approved list...too much fraud, misrepresentation, and other issues. To me no comic is worth the aggrevation of possibly getting ripped off....between all the great comic sites that are around i can usually get the books i want without ebay.