• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Spidey senses tingling on an offline direct deal

49 posts in this topic

I know others are saying to give it time and such, but I personally don't have $2K to just play around with so if I paid someone $2k and didn't get my items almost immediately, then I would be very concern and would open up a case with Paypal. You stated you already paid him and didn't even get a tracking number for two more weeks. Then it was the wrong number. I know someone said, "he wouldn't give you the wrong tracking number if he was scamming you." Um, yeah, he would. Cause he then just bought himself more time. Cause then he can then blame it on the post office or whatever to buy more time. You paid him $2k. He could have expressed mailed or air mailed those books to you without cutting into his profit. Sorry, it sounds like a scam. I would open the case with Paypal and if/when you get your books you can close the case and he will get his payment back.

The only time that the seller bought by providing the wrong tracking info is the amount of time it took to check the tracking online.

As far as this seller goes, I would prepare for the worst and hope for the best. Has he explained why he sent the wrong tracking info? By now he should've apologised for the mix up and provided the correct tracking infoi if he's legit. If he's being evasive then it probably is a scam. As long as the claim against him is in by the deadline then there shouldn't be a problem with getting the money back.

My guess is that this is a USPS tracking glitch with the dates and the notice was lost.

I assume you are going to show up at your post office in the morning looking for it?

Its not USPS. The tracking is Royal Mail from the UK.

Actually I can track it via USPS too as you probably know. This particular package was delivered in a completely different state.

I assume that you have by now pointed this out to him? If so, has he responded?

You're right to be wary but he could've just accidentally quoted you the tracking number from a different postal receipt. It seems a little unlikely that he would send you a tracking number of an already delivered parcel if he was scamming you as it's obvious as soon as you check it that it's not correct.

Paypal should refund you under these circumstances if it does turn out to be not legit.

Yes earlier today I emailed him and told him that tracking number can not be for my package. Because the date of delivery was before I ever even emailed him and also the package was delivered to a completely different state.

He did acknowledge it and thanked me for pointing it out and is going to look into it. But at this point that really does not mean much.

I know others are saying to give it time and such, but I personally don't have $2K to just play around with so if I paid someone $2k and didn't get my items almost immediately, then I would be very concern and would open up a case with Paypal. You stated you already paid him and didn't even get a tracking number for two more weeks. Then it was the wrong number. I know someone said, "he wouldn't give you the wrong tracking number if he was scamming you." Um, yeah, he would. Cause he then just bought himself more time. Cause then he can then blame it on the post office or whatever to buy more time. You paid him $2k. He could have expressed mailed or air mailed those books to you without cutting into his profit. Sorry, it sounds like a scam. I would open the case with Paypal and if/when you get your books you can close the case and he will get his payment back.

I was kind of thinking the same thing. My favorite one, especially from an international seller is the old, oh, it was sent back to me because the label fell off.....but I re-sent it to you. Well if the label fell off, how did the package make its way back to you in the first place; Harry Potter delivered it?

Going to sit on this for a few more days but that is max. Its now going into the 3rd week since payment and basically I got nearly 2 weeks of radio silence and now a tracking number that appears to be totally invalid.

The only time that the seller bought by providing the wrong tracking info is the amount of time it took to check the tracking online.

As far as this seller goes, I would prepare for the worst and hope for the best. Has he explained why he sent the wrong tracking info? By now he should've apologised for the mix up and provided the correct tracking infoi if he's legit. If he's being evasive then it probably is a scam. As long as the claim against him is in by the deadline then there shouldn't be a problem with getting the money back.

That is what I am doing -- preparing for worst, etc. No tangible response yet on actual tracking number other than acknowledging the fact that I pointed it out and thanking me. I think strategy wise I am going to play it totally cool and not let on to him about my skepticism that this deal is going to legitimately conclude. Just open the paypal case. That way he can not play connect four on his end because I decided to rant in an email and giving him the heads up. It would be pointless too.

That is what I am doing -- preparing for worst, etc. No tangible response yet on actual tracking number other than acknowledging the fact that I pointed it out and thanking me. I think strategy wise I am going to play it totally cool and not let on to him about my skepticism that this deal is going to legitimately conclude. Just open the paypal case. That way he can not play connect four on his end because I decided to rant in an email and giving him the heads up. It would be pointless too.

That sounds about right to me. (thumbs u

I've sent lots of valuable comics to the US and a couple of them have taken longer than expected. The key thing is good communication and making the effort to ensure the transaction is as smooth as possible for the buyer. If I'd accidentally provided the incorrect tracking information on a parcel that was taking a long time to arrive then I would be making sure that I got the correct tracking info to you immediately and apologising sincerely.

Parcels can take a while to get to the US sometimes but at best this seller is providing extremely bad customer service and I think you're right to be ready to get your refund back as it could well be a scam. Keep us updated and good luck.

I've sent lots of valuable comics to the US and a couple of them have taken longer than expected. The key thing is good communication and making the effort to ensure the transaction is as smooth as possible for the buyer. If I'd accidentally provided the incorrect tracking information on a parcel that was taking a long time to arrive then I would be making sure that I got the correct tracking info to you immediately and apologising sincerely.
I've had similar experiences both shipping and receiving books from the UK and Europe in general. I've had some show up within a week's time and others that took almost a month. 2c

I've had similar experiences both shipping and receiving books from the UK and Europe in general. I've had some show up within a week's time and others that took almost a month. 2c

I can understand there being a long wait with international since I had such an experience with shipping to a customer in Canada. However, the seller only provided a tracking number TWO WEEKS after the sale. I mean, I have gotten tracking numbers on books and items within hours on very low cost items. Also, The seller hasn't been communicating with the buyer in any reasonable way. And for anything I paid $2K for I would expect some major customer service from a seller. I agree that you should quietly open the case with Paypal. As you said, ranting in emails just tips him off and gives him time to run with your money.

My guess is that this is a USPS tracking glitch with the dates and the notice was lost.

I assume you are going to show up at your post office in the morning looking for it?

Its not USPS. The tracking is Royal Mail from the UK.

Actually I can track it via USPS too as you probably know. This particular package was delivered in a completely different state.

I assume that you have by now pointed this out to him? If so, has he responded?

You're right to be wary but he could've just accidentally quoted you the tracking number from a different postal receipt. It seems a little unlikely that he would send you a tracking number of an already delivered parcel if he was scamming you as it's obvious as soon as you check it that it's not correct.

Paypal should refund you under these circumstances if it does turn out to be not legit.

Yes earlier today I emailed him and told him that tracking number can not be for my package. Because the date of delivery was before I ever even emailed him and also the package was delivered to a completely different state.

He did acknowledge it and thanked me for pointing it out and is going to look into it. But at this point that really does not mean much.

A few times in the past I gave the incorrect tracking info to a buyer when I had sold and shipped multiple items. A fellow emailed me one morning telling me his package was delivered two states over according to the USPS website the day before. Later that day he messaged again saying his was delivered and informed me the tracking number I gave him was different than the was associated with his shipment, ultimately no harm but a few raised heart rates during the day.

Hopefully that is the case here but it would be nice if he put a little more weight behind his efforts as there is a time limit on the action you can take. You may reply again that if he isn't a little quicker with a resolution that you will have little choice but to escalate it to protect yourself and see if that gets you a more timely explanation (provided there is one).

Hey Kryptonslabs, whatever happened with this situation?

Thanks for checking in. The seller has been great communicating with me. So right after that first tracking # he sent me did not pan out as it was clearly the wrong one, his explanation was that he was on the road for work and had obtained the # from his wife at home by asking for the US shipment tracking # from the paperwork there. Turns out, according to him there was more than one shipment to the US in the last month. He mentioned his wife by first name, so since I had all of his info, I googled them. At least that checked out.

So he promptly gave me a second tracking number. Everything was looking groovy as it was sent registered mail and arrived here to the states a few days ago to be sorted and dispatched for delivery. But literally a few hours ago, the latest update has the shipment going to a state not even close to being near me --- basically the item is totally moving away from me as if its not intended for me. It makes no sense.

At this point giving it a few more days to let this package delivery play out and no longer communicating with the seller. Looks like I will be quietly opening a case.

Not saying this is the case here, but:

I live in downstate Illinois and ordered some LCD displays from Dell a while back. They shipped out of a warehouse somewhere around Chicago and were supposed to show up the next day. After 3 days when they still hadn't showed I checked the tracking info and they were at a sorting center in Washington hm

Finally about 9 days after I ordered them the displays showed up. Sometimes shipping companies do some messed up things.

It could be a genuine case of the shipment going astray but you're right to make sure a case is opened in time. If the parcel doesn't turn up then the seller should be reimbursed by the insurance and if it does eventually arrive at your address then you can always pay him again if you've already been refunded.

Hey Kryptonslabs, whatever happened with this situation?

Thanks for checking in. The seller has been great communicating with me. So right after that first tracking # he sent me did not pan out as it was clearly the wrong one, his explanation was that he was on the road for work and had obtained the # from his wife at home by asking for the US shipment tracking # from the paperwork there. Turns out, according to him there was more than one shipment to the US in the last month. He mentioned his wife by first name, so since I had all of his info, I googled them. At least that checked out.

So he promptly gave me a second tracking number. Everything was looking groovy as it was sent registered mail and arrived here to the states a few days ago to be sorted and dispatched for delivery. But literally a few hours ago, the latest update has the shipment going to a state not even close to being near me --- basically the item is totally moving away from me as if its not intended for me. It makes no sense.

At this point giving it a few more days to let this package delivery play out and no longer communicating with the seller. Looks like I will be quietly opening a case.

Well, I'm crossing fingers for you that you either get your books or get your money back.