• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

what the BLEEP is a 9.5?

53 posts in this topic

see that's a good answer, i could have done without the sarcasm, but i can deal with it,

i cant say ive never made fun of someone on these boards, but me and he(or is it he and me) seem to have reconciled.

still, its a shame that some on here just have to make fun of others, you know, behind their computer that is. not in the real world. :fear:

Cant tell from your comment if it was entirely directed at me... did you think my post was making fun of you? I did question your selective reading (you noted the existence of the 9.5 & the 10.0 but glossed over the 9.0), but beyond that I think I limited my ribbing at your supposition and your argument.

Anyway wasn't sure, so I'll just assume you were talking about someone else. :D

yeah sorry, wasn't talkin bout you, you answered my question, and i appreciate it.

I wanted an answer and i seem to have gotten one, one that was well explained and pointed out when it happened, the only other question i have is how many of these copies exist? it seems 2 of them are 10's but how many 9.0's and 9.5's?

It's my understanding that the books did not get put into the census, and with Wizard out of business - no one will really know. I liken these Wizard First slabs to collecting POGS - no one knows or cares how many were made because they're krap.

I want CGC to be around a long damn time, so lets get some of these questions out of the way now.

The Board got these questions out of the way a long time ago (you've heard of Google now?), you're just late to the party and are slowly (very slowly) catching up. Please Google any questions first before you embarrass yourself some more.

^^

I wanted an answer and i seem to have gotten one, one that was well explained and pointed out when it happened, the only other question i have is how many of these copies exist? it seems 2 of them are 10's but how many 9.0's and 9.5's?

It's my understanding that the books did not get put into the census, and with Wizard out of business - no one will really know. I liken these Wizard First slabs to collecting POGS - no one knows or cares how many were made because they're krap.

I thought I read somewhere, though it may not be 100% accurate, that the two 10's made it into the census.

yeah, thanks tons, now i know, i appreciate you digging up that original post from a decade back. and your take on who cares how many were made got thru to me, krap is krap, like a wizard ace edition of hulk 181(just sayin)

that was a very interesting read, and now ive lost a little more respect for CGC.

sorry, but that aint right. that's something pgx would do.

lets sign a contract with wizard and grade their books either a 9.5 or a 10.0, don't know whose bright idea this was but, it shows everyone can have a brain fart from time to time.

I guess in the future when one of the big publishers decide to start putting out their own books graded direct to the market, then cgc will sign a contract to put them out at either a 9.7 or a 10.1,

hurry and pick up you variant Guardians of the Galaxy #50, 1 in 250 retailer incentive copy guaranteed graded a 10.1, high as you can go(for now) for only 3000.00, guaranteed grade by cgc.

aint that just stupid!

:boo:

CGC says that comic goes to 11

Nigel_zps6689487c.jpg

it's one minter.

If we're being serious, only two books in the Wizard First program were ever graded 10, and they were legitimate 10.

9.5 was a 'quick grade' which meant 9.2 to 9.9. The books were sent to CGC from the printer, so they're essentially 'uncirculated'... which was the real point of the program. "Untouched near mint in a slab".

There were Wizard First 9.0 as well.

Neither the 9.0 or the 9.5 Wizard First books were added to the CGC Census. The two Wizard First 10s are in the census, but they're indistinguishable from regular 10s (unless you could see the label).

Wrong. 9.5 was anything 9.6 through 9.9.

There were not enough of these books graded to matter before CGC came to their senses and stopped.

It was an admitted bran fart and it's over.

Think of them as the Heroes Reborn of comics grading.

If we're being serious, only two books in the Wizard First program were ever graded 10, and they were legitimate 10.

9.5 was a 'quick grade' which meant 9.2 to 9.9. The books were sent to CGC from the printer, so they're essentially 'uncirculated'... which was the real point of the program. "Untouched near mint in a slab".

Neither the 9.0 or the 9.5 Wizard First books were added to the CGC Census. The two Wizard First 10s are in the census, but they're indistinguishable from regular 10s (unless you could see the label).

There were not enough of these books graded to matter before CGC came to their senses and stopped.

I dug back through that thread. Valiantman was correct. 9.5 was any book 9.2 through 9.9.

10 was the only grade that held it's integrity.

:foryou:

Way to selectively read/think

lets sign a contract with wizard and grade their books either a 9.5 or a 10.0

1. They also graded them 9.0 (read the Wikipedia entry)

2. These were "off the presses" copies. Dont most new, undistributed copies typically end up being 9.4 and up? So How is Grading them 9.0, 9.5 or 10 (assuming the grades are accurate) a problem. Most uncirclated moderns are in that range too.

I guess in the future...

They dont do that anymore (started in 2004, ended in 2004) and havent done anything like it since... so obviously CGC figured out (with some help from the boards) that this was a bad move. So there's no "in the future"...

Are we going to bring up every bad decision that's someones made even after they corrected it? And re-bring it up almost a decade after the fact (a decade is 10 years, the Wizard grading was 9 years ago)

You want to "make sure they dont repeat the mistake" well they've made it almost a decade, and it seems like at the time they understood why it was a bad call.

Lots of scenarios "could" happen in the future, are you going to cover them as well. I mean scenarios they learned from are less likely to occur than new scenarios.

Not sure what the point of dredging it up serves. It was a bad decision a decade ago. They realized their mistake and they havent made anything like it since.

Any point in beating a decade old dead horse that's already been resolved?

Lets speculate about other mistakes that CGC might make in the future and try to prevent them.. .

• Will CGC start to grade pets?
  • What if CGC started muxing human remains in with theyr slab material?
  • What if time machines made it possible for me to go back and pre-discover the Edgar Church find, would it still be a pedigree?
  • What if CGC started to offer notary services as part of the SS program?
  • what if CGC starts to note appearances of GLTB characters with a special rainbow colored label?

see that's a good answer, i could have done without the sarcasm, but i can deal with it,

i cant say ive never made fun of someone on these boards, but me and he(or is it he and me) seem to have reconciled.

still, its a shame that some on here just have to make fun of others, you know, behind their computer that is. not in the real world. :fear:

Better be careful there, Tina, that sounds kinda threatening.

see now that wasn't so hard to answer now was it?

oh wait, 2 differing opinions, and we have no way of knowing if either of them is right.

and how many is not enough to matter? if CGC gives out a grade of 9.5 to an Action #1 and that's the only copy that gets that grade, does that copy matter?

DUH!

yeah, I ask the hard questions, and it ticks some folks off, but I want CGC to be beyond reproach.

look at the mainstream media nowdays, you see more and more stories about comic books. and like it or not, when and if that media machine gets started on CGC if they find a crack in the armor, they gonna exploit it hard.

I want CGC to be around a long damn time, so lets get some of these questions out of the way now.

does anyone know for sure how we could see what books got graded during this fiasco(brain fart)?

:roflmao: TRUTH TO POWER!! Keep fightin' the good fight brother!!!

Here you go Tiny, I'm gonna help you out. Here's the old CGC Wiki page, it has a lot more info than the current page: http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Comics_Guaranty_LLC&diff=204866376&oldid=204718888#Process

This will help you learn about what has come before. If some of the links don't work, that's because CGC nuked the page (sometimes years later - that should get you mad!).