• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Collection Armor

17 posts in this topic

Saw a link for this, thought some people on here might be interested. My bad if general isn't the correct place. I didn't see a storage/care board

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1770694694/collection-armor

If only it were actually for sale now. I'm moving next weekend and I can't decide if it's ok for me to leave my short box in the non-climate controlled storage locker for 2 weeks or not. Still trying to figure out what to do with them.

My understanding is that something like this may keep moisture out but like a fireproof safe will trap gases within it that will accelerate certain decomposition processes. This is how we saw the decomposition and rust of staples when slabbed books were stored in certain types of fireproof gun safes.

My understanding is that something like this may keep moisture out but like a fireproof safe will trap gases within it that will accelerate certain decomposition processes. This is how we saw the decomposition and rust of staples when slabbed books were stored in certain types of fireproof gun safes.

Yeah, this was my thought. If the temperature changes you could get condensation.

The 'backer boards' comparison pictures seem a little suspect, as I have had books in bags/boards since the mid 70's that I recently opened and none looked like the bad one on the left. In fact, I have NEVER seen a board look like the one in his picture.

The 'backer boards' comparison pictures seem a little suspect, as I have had books in bags/boards since the mid 70's that I recently opened and none looked like the bad one on the left. In fact, I have NEVER seen a board look like the one in his picture.

He probably wet one and baked it or something for demonstration purposes.

I'm confused, how has he had time to store that X-men book with and without his product for decades in the Neeley's house?

Magic!

This stuff is already sold in rolls and it can be heat sealed to cover any size item you want. We use stuff like this where I work to ship huge motors. You don't want condensation on the windings. I like the way the comics shown are in polypropylene bags. If you sealed those comics in these reflective bags, they''d smell like plastic years later when you opened them.

What a wasted effort creating a kickstarter project for this. What's next.... a kickstarter project for toilet paper?

DG

This stuff is already sold in rolls and it can be heat sealed to cover any size item you want. We use stuff like this where I work to ship huge motors. You don't want condensation on the windings. I like the way the comics shown are in polypropylene bags. If you sealed those comics in these reflective bags, they''d smell like plastic years later when you opened them.

What a wasted effort creating a kickstarter project for this. What's next.... a kickstarter project for toilet paper?

DG

"As long as people accept krap, it will be financially profitable to dispense it."

Yeah, this was my thought. If the temperature changes you could get condensation.

Normally this stuff is used to ship product overseas and it seals moisture out. Bags of desiccant would be sealed inside the bag as added protection. On sea freight, a shipping crate will absorb humidity. It can release the moisture through thermal cycling and you need a sealed barrier like this to shield product from condensation. Otherwise you'd open a crate and it would look like it'd been raining on the contents within. I'm sure the people who designed this material would be laughing if they saw how these guys are trying to market it.

Interesting that no one has developed a slab shield with UV coating. Pop the slab into it, vacuum out the air and pump argon into it. Sounds wild, but if you had a $350k comic, would it seem so wild? If they have it for my 15 year old home windows I am sure the technology is stupid simple.

Staples should not react in argon.

The bumpers are not really a bad idea. You have to give the guy credit for putting stuff out there too.

I'm wondering how they tested that UV film? Most test kits I've found were 290-390nm. UV is around 10nm-400nm. Leaves a big gap. It's early, I'm hung over, but I think the reactive UV is 10nm to about 100nm. I don't know of any test kit that gets down to that level that's affordable. It also makes me rethink my own 99% UV glass on frames and which part of the UV spectrum they consider UV for their advertising.