• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Record for Flash #1 in grade

29 posts in this topic

I could be wrong but I actually think it was $42,000 + 10% ($46,200) Even if that book were pressed up to an 8.0 the buyer would still be paying 100% of guide. I have a copy of this book and would gladly sell it at guide, I don't really know what this buyer was thinking.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I think It's a pretty darn nice looking copy. Excellent candidate (not that anyone would do that of course)

Flash #1 link

Seems like a pretty stiff price to be paying for a high mid-range GA book since you are basically looking at approx. 70% over guide. Depending upon the defects, not sure if cleaning and pressing is going to help the lower left spine or the tan line along the right edge of the book.

Hard to tell without seeing the book in person. confused-smiley-013.gif

Just a general question and using the first poster. Unless there is a better scan of that book, I don;t see how pressing could bring it up a grade and a half. Or up much of anything.

Could the folks who feel pressing my be able to up the grade please indicate from the scan what they see that pressing would eliiminate? And by how much that which they see WOULD increase the grade.

I thank you! smile.gif

Of course you would have to call to get the grader's notes to be sure (and I certainly hope the buyer did this), but from looking at the scan, I think that the lower right side instead of being a dust shadow, is actually a slight roll and could be pressed out (of course it could also be a trick of the light).

The spine looks very tight and clean and the two corners we see are also very sharp.

I think this is an excellent candidate to maybe go as high as 9.0

I didn't look at the high bidder ID, and thought it was an in-person sale so no buyers premium would apply, but yes it looks like another $4,200 needs to be added to that price. A 6.5 would probably bring 15-20 as is, so it looks like a

$25-30,000 premium in the hopes that it cleans up well.

Of course you would have to call to get the grader's notes to be sure (and I certainly hope the buyer did this), but from looking at the scan, I think that the lower right side instead of being a dust shadow, is actually a slight roll and could be pressed out (of course it could also be a trick of the light).

The spine looks very tight and clean and the two corners we see are also very sharp.

I think this is an excellent candidate to maybe go as high as 9.0

I didn't look at the high bidder ID, and thought it was an in-person sale so no buyers premium would apply, but yes it looks like another $4,200 needs to be added to that price. A 6.5 would probably bring 15-20 as is, so it looks like a

$25-30,000 premium in the hopes that it cleans up well.

Hmmm - the lower right seems to go all the way up to the top, at least on my display. There are density differences but they seem due to the colors beneatch the shadow.

I have to ask you another question, Zilla - when you say I think this is an excellent candidate to maybe go as high as 9.0 are you talking about just from pressing? Or form other processes as well? smile.gif

Where are you seeing the winning bids? Can someone tell me what the Thrilling #15 went for?
The 15 8.0 went for $490.

DSC04481.jpg

If you want to view old ones, go to 'Archives' at the top and select the date of the auction you want to look at.

The page quality on the Swenson auction books were pretty nice. You had to pay a premium for a book if buying via proxybid. I put in a bid for $6,500 plus ten percent buyer's premium for the Superman #1 and still lost. The floor bid was 7,000 but I am not sure they needed to pay the premium.

Where are you seeing the winning bids? Can someone tell me what the Thrilling #15 went for?
The 15 8.0 went for $490.

DSC04481.jpg

If you want to view old ones, go to 'Archives' at the top and select the date of the auction you want to look at.

Cool! That means it's mine... cloud9.gif

Interesting ... the ID of the winner is "triksr4kids," which also shows up on eBay as a card seller. His/her auction listings place him/her in San Francisco. Anyone ever deal with this person?

I've dealt with him ... a great guy and loves Wacky Packages. smile.gif

You have to think the buyer felt a pressing need to have the book.

ZT, I'm a little curious as to what axe you have to grind with the buyer. Unless you know that's his motivation, why would you poison the well regarding this book by posting speculative innuendo on one of the most inflammatory subjects on these boards? Doesn't seem to be your MO.