• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What do I do here

53 posts in this topic

Purchased a four-figure book on feebay (could have tried to make an offer, but I went ahead and snagged the book. I wanted it and felt like it was a good deal).

Seller emails me 2-3 days later and says "sorry, book is gone, refunding your money"

How do you handle it

a) neg him and move on

b) let him off the hook and move on

c) something else (elaborate!)

Thanks,

Joey

Purchased a four-figure book on feebay (could have tried to make an offer, but I went ahead and snagged the book. I wanted it and felt like it was a good deal).

Seller emails me 2-3 days later and says "sorry, book is gone, refunding your money"

How do you handle it

a) neg him and move on

Thanks,

Joey

Unless you're a completely tool, you choose B. You got your money back, no harm, no foul.

I would go A. It's a legally binding contract. Had something happened to the book they would have told you. But seems like either seller's remorse, or someone else saw it and offered more. Letting them get off the hook just encourages more unethical behavior.

How do you handle it

a) neg him and move on

Thanks,

Joey

Unless you're a completely tool, you choose B. You got your money back, no harm, no foul.

3rzzsl.jpg

How do you handle it

a) neg him and move on

Thanks,

Joey

Is the individual a dealer and possible they sold it at SDCC or similar? Do you believe the book is actually sold or just going to relist with a higher tag? Find out why it took them 2-3 days to tell you it was gone.

Think that should make a more reasonable choice.

Quit buying off eBay.

Then punch yourself in the nuts as a reminder. :eyeroll:

I'm with you on this one. :applause:

A ringing endorsement from Forumite of the Year, Oakland!!! Suh-weet!!!! :whee:

Seriously though, I don't understand the appeal of eBay. How many times does it have to happen. I've spent quite a bit of money on comics in the past month. Every purchase was through the boards. Not even the slightest issue. Not one.

No hassles, no shipping delays, no packaging issues, nobody backing out.

Not sure why i would cut myself off ebay, lots of great books to be found there......maybe I like swatting myself in the jewels?

But the question is, under the circumstances, how you think i should handle?

All opinions are welcome, but to say i'm a complete tool for negging the guy - well that's tool belt award of the month right there.

If there answer were that black and white, I wouldn't have posted it.

By the way

- seller just said someone else bought the book before me and he was sorry

- didn't tell me what took too long

- my gut tells me something is "up" here

- i've never blasted someone with a neg in my life (thought that might be relevant too)

You cant even do A. He's asking to cancel the transaction which means no feedback.

I think if a seller has enough cancelled transactions it can affect their five star status, but I dont know that for sure...

I've been hit with that before, on a lesser book that was a good deal. As soon as I bought it he came back with "oh sorry that sold a while back and I just didnt update the inventory"

I even called ebay to complain and they noted something (yeah right) on his account, but there was nothing else to be done.

You could ask for compensation of equal value based on what you thought the book was worth..If he has something else listed that you are interested in.

B

There are two ways that it could have happened. He may have simply hit the relist button on eBay with all of his auctions and accidentally included it. He would not have noticed it until you purchased it.

I admit that this happened to me last month. I had sold something that I had previously sold off eBay. When I went to relist all my auctions at once it was mistakenly included in the group. Someone hit the buy it now. I received notification on my phone and immediately refunded the guy's money.

Sometimes it happens and is indeed an innocent mistake.

The other way?

Someone may have actually negotiated a deal for the item and beat you to the punch. In that case the seller is an honest one in honoring the deal with the offline seller rather than accepting your purchase at the full price.

Quit buying off eBay.

Seriously though, I don't understand the appeal of eBay. How many times does it have to happen. I've spent quite a bit of money on comics in the past month. Every purchase was through the boards. Not even the slightest issue. Not one.

The buying opportunities on eBay dwarf the deals on this board by a huge order of magnitude. I would literally give up every other buying venue combined, including cons, before eBay.

Quit buying off eBay.

The buying opportunities on eBay dwarf the deals on this board by a huge order of magnitude. I would literally give up every other buying venue combined, including cobs, before eBay.

Totally agree, eBay is an invaluable tool when properly leveraged.

I love the boards and the books I get here, but I cannot get everything I need.

Dealer can't be bothered to remove a $4k book from his online store when it sells? I'm pretty much for moving on with life on most things - however, in this case, I'd neg him just to let future buyers know what happened.

Not sure why i would cut myself off ebay, lots of great books to be found there.

I have 10X more good experiences with Ebay than I do bad, and for the most part, I get the book I am expecting. It's rare (but not unheard of) to get a surprise in the mail.