• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Manifest Destiny - Skybound - Chris Dingess, Matthew Roberts
1 1

2,663 posts in this topic

Don't pull a youmechoose and list 12 of them as auctions at once like he did with peter panzerfaust #9

Although I am seriously doubting the stories of people still having stacks of 20+ of the Ottley... pics or it didn't happen.

Every week I am surprised by the amount of boardies that have begun to chime in here lately with very low post counts. I am no longer surprised by the amount of people doing this now. This past year growth has been incredible here.

They watch this thread religiously and I am quite sure several have a nice stack. I am more convinced due the PMs some of us are getting lately from new posters. I mean why should they even post some of us provide them with all the info they need.

this years NWM, all it needs now is a pre-sale WD homage cover, CBDLF created of course, so its a good cause, and its deja vu all over again. The shiller's hit a homerun on this one, my only regret is that by arguing with cheerleaders I might have helped them in their work.

Here comes another auction ending today ( not mine ). I don't know what these have been bringing but this makes me want to get a couple graded.

Manifest Destiny #1 CGC 9.8 $92 with 9 hours to go.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Manifest-Destiny-1-CGC-9-8-Image-Comic-New-NM-Mint-Graded-Hot-Book-Fast-Ship-/111297211047?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item19e9d4aaa7

Nice, top tier seller, that's an auction I can cheerlead. Go Ryan

Here comes another auction ending today ( not mine ). I don't know what these have been bringing but this makes me want to get a couple graded.

Manifest Destiny #1 CGC 9.8 $92 with 9 hours to go.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Manifest-Destiny-1-CGC-9-8-Image-Comic-New-NM-Mint-Graded-Hot-Book-Fast-Ship-/111297211047?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item19e9d4aaa7

Nice, top tier seller, that's an auction I can cheerlead. Go Ryan

+1

comparing the market action, the threads, and the comments people make. All of those are identical:

start around page 6 and read for a few hours, educational on what's going to happen to this book without a tv show or a massive increase in readership. Shillers and this board can drive ebay prices, but they can't drive primary sales figures

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=6865053&fpart=6

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=6865053&fpart=15

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=6865053&fpart=54

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=6865053&fpart=72

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=6865053&fpart=80

some polyanna warning people:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=6352671Post6352671

what's his problem lol

I can't believe I am even responding to this drivel.

NWM had two large factors contributing to its demise. The primary one being the slow release and eventual stoppage all together. Had NWM continued to put out books on a monthly pace it would probably be one of the top 3 image titles.

Second, printing multiple variant covers months after #1 debuted is not going to help either.

So are you actually trying to say MD is going to fall off like NWM?

Let me ask you this... Do you think Saga would be a as strong as it is had it slowed and stalled out on number #6?

I can't believe I am even responding to this drivel.

Then dont.....

NWM had two large factors contributing to its demise. The primary one being the slow release and eventual stoppage all together. Had NWM continued to put out books on a monthly pace it would probably be one of the top 3 image titles.

it's prices collapse long before that

Second, printing multiple variant covers months after #1 debuted is not going to help either.

what part of a books real value does that harm? If Marvel released a AF15 variant, dont think it will effect the price of the real deal. Obviously, a silly example, but the point remains, future variants,printings, etc, can't change in any way the original book.

So are you actually trying to say MD is going to fall off like NWM?

Are people actually believing its got somewhere to fall from already? a couple weeks ago it was nothing, it popped on fake sales and hype in this thread. If that counts, then yes, without a tv show or a doubling+ increase in readership, it will fall from where it "already is".

Let me ask you this... Do you think Saga would be a as strong as it is had it slowed and stalled out on number #6?

Saga got ahead of itself, well ahead, and has corrected and stabilized. It's print run doubled from the first release, was out for almost a year before it started really moving (but was above cover from launch). It won all the awards for comic of the year, (plus timely ebay bucks according to some) and was part of the whole market lifting in spring on speculation mania.

No i dont see any of that going on for MD, but I did see some blatantly fake sales, and people with multiple copies foaming at the mouth trying to defend the obviously fake sales.

Separate post for tl'dr crowd,

other comparisons to NWM(or saga and PP during the jan-feb '13 bubb):

- people buying multiples of later issues, not just #1 and variants

- people saying the books are harder to find then they really are

- new people signing up to join in the mania

- massive glut of CGC submissions in the pipe

- people posting each ebay auction and blow by blow plays of the sales

etc

etc

I've been giving some of the blow by blows because I'm impressed that it's moving at these numbers. I want to qualify my position. I have given away 6 of the Ottleys (100% free) over the last month to people who helped me out with my East of West collection. I'm holding a few of these still though it is getting to be difficult with the prices they are bringing. I haven't sold any yet. This book strikes me the same way Saga did. I was surprised by the numbers it did also.

Comics don't always need rhyme or reason as to their pricing. The big awards winners this year were EOW, Todd, Sex Criminals, Hawkeye, and a few more and while all of those books bring well over cover, they aren't exactly closing in on Manifest Destiny on the secondary market.

Several things go in to making a "hot comic" such as the story, publisher, writer, artist, print run, and mostly supply/demand. People were down on Image a couple of months ago and the writer and artist aren't exactly household names. I think this book did have an initial spec push but I also think people actually read it and liked it. I know I did. I don't think this book will go away like NWM did unless they stall for a very long period.

I could be wrong, wouldn't be the first time but I believe this book is a keeper.

I've been giving some of the blow by blows because I'm impressed that it's moving at these numbers. I want to qualify my position. I have given away 6 of the Ottleys (100% free) over the last month to people who helped me out with my East of West collection. I'm holding a few of these still though it is getting to be difficult with the prices they are bringing. I haven't sold any yet. This book strikes me the same way Saga did. I was surprised by the numbers it did also.

Comics don't always need rhyme or reason as to their pricing. The big awards winners this year were EOW, Todd, Sex Criminals, Hawkeye, and a few more and while all of those books bring well over cover, they aren't exactly closing in on Manifest Destiny on the secondary market.

Several things go in to making a "hot comic" such as the story, publisher, writer, artist, print run, and mostly supply/demand. People were down on Image a couple of months ago and the writer and artist aren't exactly household names. I think this book did have an initial spec push but I also think people actually read it and liked it. I know I did. I don't think this book will go away like NWM did unless they stall for a very long period.

I could be wrong, wouldn't be the first time but I believe this book is a keeper.

i can attest to this man's generosity. lol

i can attest to this man's generosity. lol

You are the man and you started with helping last year. Thank you. :applause:

a 12 to 13 is well within speculator bump territory, absolute value matters too, Revival and many others had good bumps, what was the NWM bump after the boards went coocoo for coca puffs on it?

1.) I've been giving some of the blow by blows because I'm impressed that it's moving at these numbers.

2.) This book strikes me the same way Saga did. I was surprised by the numbers it did also.

3.) I don't think this book will go away like NWM did unless they stall for a very long period.

1.) Sorry, I didnt mean to imply the people giving those updates were doing anything wrong, not at all, just watching books they like. +1. I have had several debates on this board about its ability to move markets. I think its ability to do so is MUCH MUCH greater than most people admit or realize.

Lurkers out number posters by 10 -1. I have visited these boards on and off since 2003, (dont let account sign up dates fool you). This site hits high on google, and is the pseudo official home for all things CGC.

When a thread gets hyped up here, a lot of people start buying. That was my point.

2.) It might, I havent taken a stand on the book itself, just certain auctions that preceded the rise in price, and how pointing up obvious and logical facts about them met with vehement opposition.

3.) I think it likely will, but all it takes is one tv rumor and its gong show time. If it ever reached 20K sales, it'd have my attention, pass 30/35K and the book would have me sold. BUT, it still would have started its run-up off a shilled sale. Nothing will ever change my opinion on that 5 feedback-er sale. That's Pamela Anderson level fake.

a 12 to 13 is well within speculator bump territory, absolute value matters too, Revival and many others had good bumps, what was the NWM bump after the boards went coocoo for coca puffs on it?

it seems a lot of books get little bumps:

WD #1 7,300

WD #2 6,100

WD #3 7,000

WD #4 8,400

WD #5 9,000

WD #6 7,800

hsDtzEh.jpg

MANIFEST DESTINY #7

STORY: CHRIS DINGESS

ART / COVER: MATTHEW ROBERTS & OWEN GIENI

JUNE 11

32 PAGES/FC/T+

$2.99

NEW STORY ARC! Lewis, Clark and the surviving members of their expedition continue westward, only to learn there is nowhere to run on the river...

3.) I think it likely will, but all it takes is one tv rumor and its gong show time. If it ever reached 20K sales, it'd have my attention, pass 30/35K and the book would have me sold. BUT, it still would have started its run-up off a shilled sale. Nothing will ever change my opinion on that 5 feedback-er sale. That's Pamela Anderson level fake.

All future sales of a book are now suspect because of a single auction.

You heard it here first, folks.

Disregard the fact that the book was a CGC 9.8 variant that is limited to XXX copies. It WILL impact sales of all raw copies - even standard covers - and issue #10, whenever that comes out.