• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Manifest Destiny - Skybound - Chris Dingess, Matthew Roberts
1 1

2,663 posts in this topic

Strong emotions in this thread :o

lol no doubt. Thanks for trying to explain it, but i believe its ignorance by choice. No sense getting some of my haters directed at you. Also, quoting people I have blocked, almost tempts me enough to read it :)

Although I believed there was some shilling going on, especially with as few slabbed books as there were early on, but believe that as the supply increases, sellers will have less pricing power to shill auctions.

That one auction is for sure, the second one, debated, highly probably. But I havent said anything other than those two were. This thread and the sales since those shilled ones have created a self-sustaining reality now. (which is the point of jacking up sales afterall)

My hats off to the shill crew from those early auctions, I have no doubt they lurk here.

A warning is fine, but his warning has turned into him being fully invested in the book's failure at this point to save face somehow.

Are there really some here who think a single shilled auction on the LBCC is a major driving force (notice I didn't say sole driving force) behind the popularity, numbers, and prices on this book?

No. ZaCrew, if you go back and read the thread, you'll see it was backhanded comments by people that drew me back into the debate. I had moved on. At this point its more a curiosity than anything else. The modern forum barely gets any posts, at least this thread is active.

I don't want the book to fail, and what price it gets on the secondary market will neither make or break a book. In fact, rampant speculation is terrible for a book, it causes misallocation (over printing) which leads to oversupply sitting on shelves, retailers cutting orders, and dropping sales figures.

I am happy for the book to succeed, and happy to see boardies make money selling it. But, just like when someone says a saga book is hard to get in 9.8, or these MD books are the next WD, I'll say my 2 cents.

A warning is fine, but his warning has turned into him being fully invested in the book's failure at this point to save face somehow.

Are there really some here who think a single shilled auction on the LBCC is a major driving force (notice I didn't say sole driving force) behind the popularity, numbers, and prices on this book?

No. ZaCrew, if you go back and read the thread, you'll see it was backhanded comments by people that drew me back into the debate. I had moved on. At this point its more a curiosity than anything else. The modern forum barely gets any posts, at least this thread is active.

I don't want the book to fail, and what price it gets on the secondary market will neither make or break a book. In fact, rampant speculation is terrible for a book, it causes misallocation (over printing) which leads to oversupply sitting on shelves, retailers cutting orders, and dropping sales figurethat's.

I am happy for the book to succeed, and happy to see boardies make money selling it. But, just like when someone says a saga book is hard to get in 9.8, or these MD books are the next WD, I'll say my 2 cents.

Honestly ZaCrew and Krighton, this is truth. It's not like people who've voiced a different opinion don't still read this thread and care about this book. As stated, even though I disagree as to why it's currently hot, doesn't mean I don't want it to be. The repeated backhanded comments are just asking for a response. You call it raining on a parade...I call it doing a rain-dance......you're gonna get wet. :)

you'd be surprised at the many different cliques and groups within groups that are on these boards. Lots of conflicts of interest, lots of back dealings...just the way the world works, especially when money is involved.

I'm a loner....so that leaves me out.

Yeah, I have no real clique. I have a few people that seem to like me, a few that don't seem to mind me, and a few that don't really like me much - but no real group I hang with. No member of #TEAMTARANTULA here.

As I keep saying, I wouldn't be part of any group that would have me for a member.

(:

-slym

Neat little fact about the Lewis and Clark expedition. During the entire trek, only one man died. Considering they were on an expedition of such vast expanse of land and the time in history. That is simply remarkable.

After reading the letter in the back of issue #5 I downloaded the Ken Burns documentary: Lewis and Clark.

Almost done with part 1 of 2.

History is cool.

Supernatural historical fiction is even cooler.

I wonder if he says, "Excellent Smithers" much :P

Honestly ZaCrew and Krighton, this is truth. It's not like people who've voiced a different opinion don't still read this thread and care about this book. As stated, even though I disagree as to why it's currently hot, doesn't mean I don't want it to be. The repeated backhanded comments are just asking for a response. You call it raining on a parade...I call it doing a rain-dance......you're gonna get wet. :)

This is why I was asking several pages back about what others who frequent comic stores have bee hearing.

I don't remember seeing a Bleeding Cool article, or other large internet source, saying anything about MD.

Is there a general buzz at the comic shop? If not, how are people hearing about it?

my one store - they only get a few copies in - I tell the owner every time I pick up an issue of MD that he needs to check it out.

the other store - they have/had large stacks of 3 2nd print and 4 1st/2nd print. They are definitely more keen on what's hot.

I found it in previews and ordered a few copies based on that. I imagine most others here did the same.

This is why I was asking several pages back about what others who frequent comic stores have bee hearing.

I don't remember seeing a Bleeding Cool article, or other large internet source, saying anything about MD.

Is there a general buzz at the comic shop? If not, how are people hearing about it?

I think there was either a bleeding cool article or image article showing the ottley variant 3 or 4 days before the deadline to order #1. Ottley variants were available for almost 2 weeks after release. I remember I posted a link to midtown showing they were still available.