• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Showcase your best Platinum age in your collection

88 posts in this topic

I was hoping to land the third and final piece of the first three comic trilogy, but someone wanted it more than I did

Over double guide :(

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Funnies-on-Parade-CGC-2-0-unrestored-/171075217404?autorefresh=true&nma=true&si=lpeydEOQVfWf%252Bh1zrhyWVkoOEdE%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557#ht_207wt_1399

Sorry buddy :(

I was watching that one too. Sorry you didn't land it Bill. :(

I was hoping to land the third and final piece of the first three comic trilogy, but someone wanted it more than I did

Over double guide :(

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Funnies-on-Parade-CGC-2-0-unrestored-/171075217404?autorefresh=true&nma=true&si=lpeydEOQVfWf%252Bh1zrhyWVkoOEdE%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557#ht_207wt_1399

Sorry buddy :(

I was watching that one too. Sorry you didn't land it Bill. :(

No telling what his high bid was. I kept pushing it up and never cracked it. Oh well, thanks to me, he paid more than he would have without me

Had seen this Buster Brown Drawing Book before. It's fun because it is a wild, action-packed story. Notable for featuring an early comic celebrity team-up / crossover - Buster Brown, The Yellow Kid, AND Pore Li'l Mose! And is that Buddy Bear in there, too?

Wondered more about the book and how it was distributed.

Recently found this complete box set. Includes box, paint tray, envelope with instructions printed on it, and a copy of the booklet. The envelope contains little cloth strips with pigment in them, which children would place in the paint tray and add water to make paint.

Nice to find the comic in the original complete package!

139619.jpg.91644650c70280becd202593d82eb104.jpg

139620.jpg.d644e24b365cb88f7e421a5e0366971e.jpg

139621.jpg.722c0b1d4233648ae95bbe8ab12fd9cd.jpg

139622.jpg.4210fca80bf74a9a13790dec17f89f1f.jpg

139623.jpg.79d5297808bd72a1cebd4c2a945d618b.jpg

Somewhat arbitrarily picked from the dozen issues of The Funnies I have that qualify as platinum; if it's not the very best it's one of the top 2 or 3 at most (and the other issues go down hill fast from those 3):

Funnies14_zps8358e4a6.jpg

Then again, I'm happy to have ANY Platinum Age books in my collection!

Had seen this Buster Brown Drawing Book before. It's fun because it is a wild, action-packed story. Notable for featuring an early comic celebrity team-up / crossover - Buster Brown, The Yellow Kid, AND Pore Li'l Mose! And is that Buddy Bear in there, too?

Wondered more about the book and how it was distributed.

Recently found this complete box set. Includes box, paint tray, envelope with instructions printed on it, and a copy of the booklet. The envelope contains little cloth strips with pigment in them, which children would place in the paint tray and add water to make paint.

Nice to find the comic in the original complete package!

As you indicated, the Drawing Book shows up on a regular basis. However, this is the first time that I have seen the complete boxed set and I think you made a major discovery.

Two technical points. The first is that it is "Billie Bear" and Mose sometimes even referred to him as "Li'l Billie Bear." Clearly his popularity was due in part to Roosevelt creating a bear mania. Billie was even used on postcards, valentines, and other media by himself because of his popularity.

The second is that in 1903 the Burr-McIntosh Magazine published a partially colored 10-postcard set by Oucault titled "Buster Brown and His Bubble." This was a story about BB getting a new car and his adventures. Half of the cards had the Yellow Kid and Pore Li'l Mose and his entourage, which included Billie Bear, appearing with BB. At the time, Outcault called it the finest work that he had ever produced. The cards were also available in a large size, larger than a sheet of paper as I recall, and they were often imprinted with the name of an advertiser like a new car dealer, and these are as rare as the postcards are common. If you type "Outcault" in the eBay search line, most of the postcards are pictured and available on any given day.

I was hoping you would see this, and as hoped, you provide some good info! Thanks!

The first is that it is "Billie Bear" and Mose sometimes even referred to him as "Li'l Billie Bear."

Sorry 'bout that. Mashed up "Buddy Tucker" and "Billie Bear".

Regarding Burr-McIntosh, I have seen the ads for the larger cards, but have never seen the actual cards. Do you have them?

Also, do you know if the story itself originally appeared in the pages of Burr-McIntosh?

I think Outcault was right about the quality of the work. It is a real joy and every time I look at it again I find something else to laugh at!

As you indicated, the Drawing Book shows up on a regular basis. However, this is the first time that I have seen the complete boxed set and I think you made a major discovery.

Two technical points. The first is that it is "Billie Bear" and Mose sometimes even referred to him as "Li'l Billie Bear." Clearly his popularity was due in part to Roosevelt creating a bear mania. Billie was even used on postcards, valentines, and other media by himself because of his popularity.

The second is that in 1903 the Burr-McIntosh Magazine published a partially colored 10-postcard set by Oucault titled "Buster Brown and His Bubble." This was a story about BB getting a new car and his adventures. Half of the cards had the Yellow Kid and Pore Li'l Mose and his entourage, which included Billie Bear, appearing with BB. At the time, Outcault called it the finest work that he had ever produced. The cards were also available in a large size, larger than a sheet of paper as I recall, and they were often imprinted with the name of an advertiser like a new car dealer, and these are as rare as the postcards are common. If you type "Outcault" in the eBay search line, most of the postcards are pictured and available on any given day.

Burr-McIntosh was an unusual magazine but it had several Outcault illustrations in its first few years and I used to have a nice set. To the best of my memory, the cards were never presented in the body of the magazine but were only advertised in the back in the ad section. Some issues showed three cards large enough to fill the page, and some showed all ten in smaller size, with instructions on how to order them..

The large cards are rare but I used to have a set of them in their original portfolio jacket. About that time, somebody made me an incredible offer for them and I got a high quality large format printer so I could just print my own, so mine are long gone. The large format printer makes incredible postcards and even comic book covers.