• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SDCC/Balitmore ComicCon 2013 Jam Sketch

14 posts in this topic

I started on my second major jam piece during SDCC. I have to say I was able to accomplished far more than I excepted. Especially considering how hectic SDCC becomes. It's finally complete with the last touches done @ Baltimore ComicCon 2013.

• Bill Maus
  • Mike DeBalfo
  • Ale Garaz
  • Val Mayerik
  • Eric Basaldua
  • Jeff Balke
  • Siya Oum
  • Paolo Pantalena
  • Alex Konat
  • Franchesco
  • Rick Basaldua
  • Bill Dinh

Below are notes and pics documenting the progression of the piece.

Bill Maus did the layout and also Wonder Woman:

group-shot-WW.jpg

20130717_133234.jpg

Mike Debalfo added a beautiful Psylocke:

20130718_125533.jpg

Ale Garaz added Superman and Val Mayerik added Howard the Duck:

20130718_202657.jpg

Eric Basaldua added Anakin Skywalker and Jeff Balke colored Superman and Howard the Duck:

20130720_143649.jpg

20130720_143653.jpg

Siya Oum added Thanos wearing The Infinity Gauntlet:

IMG_20130720_180859.jpg

Paolo Pantalena added Mjölnir:

20130721_113643.jpg

Alex Konat added a extremely detailed cracked Captain America's sheild:

20130721_142537.jpg

Jeff Balke colored Captain America's shield and Wonder Woman's lasso:

20130721_151534.jpg

Franchesco! added Wolverine's adamantium skeleton:

20130722_124101.jpg

20130722_124155.jpg

Rick Basaldua tweaked the layout, made a few additions and inked the pencils of other artists.

2013-08-04%252003.51.00-medium.jpg

Bill Dinh adding a Fire Flower

20130907_001525.jpg

Jeff Balke colored the remainder of the sketch

20130913161838_001.jpg

The final framed result:

20131207_115008.jpg

That thing is really cool, thanks for sharing the whole process, it's really fun watching it evolve. Any particular reason why you chose the artists you chose, or even why you chose each one for what part? I was thinking about having one artist do a jam piece with themself over the course of a few years. But I don't know how open to it this particular artist would be.

For my jam sketches I always put together a list of artists who I want to work on it and also tend to have them sketch to their strengthens. Additionally I put together list of backup artists (just in case). Finally I reach out to each artist in advance to see if they are interested in working on the piece.

For this particular piece Siya Oum, Paolo Pantalena, and Alex Konat, were unplanned and unknown to me when I started the piece. While waiting on eBas to do his portion, I observed these three sketching and decided I had to have them contribute. Bill Dinh was a last minute addition as well, we were goofing off in the hotel and I just picked something random for him to add.

There are some artists who will not work on jam sketches @ all. While there are other who love working on them.

While I Baltimore ComicCon this year I saw one guy working on a David Finch only jam sketch. He had David sketch one full figure character a year for the last three years.

Below are some general tips for jam sketches:

• Pay someone to do the layout. I always have the first artist do the layout and one completed character. Scott Blair has done the layouts for 3 of 5 jam sketches I've done so far and he's extremely easy to work with.
  • Don't try these on a sketch cover. While it can be done (I have two jam sketch covers) the repeated grading fees, the need for a constant CGC witness, and size constraints cause way too many headaches.
  • Get the highest quality paper possible
  • Don't rush the artists! The more time you give them, the better their results.
  • If you're going for a big name, contact them early and try to be the first in line.

For my jam sketches I always put together a list of artists who I want to work on it and also tend to have them sketch to their strengthens. Additionally I put together list of backup artists (just in case). Finally I reach out to each artist in advance to see if they are interested in working on the piece.

For this particular piece Siya Oum, Paolo Pantalena, and Alex Konat, were unplanned and unknown to me when I started the piece. While waiting on eBas to do his portion, I observed these three sketching and decided I had to have them contribute. Bill Dinh was a last minute addition as well, we were goofing off in the hotel and I just picked something random for him to add.

There are some artists who will not work on jam sketches @ all. While there are other who love working on them.

While I Baltimore ComicCon this year I saw one guy working on a David Finch only jam sketch. He had David sketch one full figure character a year for the last three years.

Below are some general tips for jam sketches:

• Pay someone to do the layout. I always have the first artist do the layout and one completed character. Scott Blair has done the layouts for 3 of 5 jam sketches I've done so far and he's extremely easy to work with.
  • Don't try these on a sketch cover. While it can be done (I have two jam sketch covers) the repeated grading fees, the need for a constant CGC witness, and size constraints cause way too many headaches.
  • Get the highest quality paper possible
  • Don't rush the artists! The more time you give them, the better their results.
  • If you're going for a big name, contact them early and try to be the first in line.

I know I'm not going to try that again

I know I'm not going to try that again

Yep I learn that lesson in @ C2E2 (and am still working on that one). Although you snagged quite a few big artists :D Did you ever post a pic of the result?