• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

my SDCC review

264 posts in this topic

So this has turned into a one way conversation rather than a solution to what happened in SDCC..

Back on point here, if a facilitator is souly responsible for tarnishing the relationship between a publisher and CGC then he/she should be held accountable. However, mind you, this wouldn't be the first time this has happened so tread lightly.

I recall several incidents with other creators who now refuse to sign with CGC.

What a fustercluck.

I re-opened (then re-locked) this thread to say a few things on my Sunday, before Chicago, while my niece is in town, on my only day off.

Laying the blame for DC’s decision at SDCC solely at DWC’s feet is ridiculous. This decision was not a knee-jerk reaction as it may have appeared to some. This was on its way and it played out at SDCC with a representative from DWC. It easily could have been some other facilitator that had 20 books in a line with a 5 book limit that had friends waiting to hold books for them, or a facilitator who had to get back into line 4 times to get all their books done. Most every Facilitator has done one or the other and sometimes both. Some Facilitators did these very things in SDCC this year, AFTER what happened with DC!

Trying to keep DC’s decision in perspective, this affects us 3 shows out of the year. CGC is working to try to get private signings set up with those creators as a resolution.

Trying to keep this thread in perspective – Steve started a good thread that became yet another DWC bashing/end of SS thread. With posts flowing either directly or indirectly; take your pick.

However, a lot of this, I realize, is not really about what happened with DC. It’s not even about what happened at the Marvel booth.

This is about the Facilitator’s Code of Conduct and the lack of respect people think other people are showing and how it all reflects upon the CGC Signature Series. Then there is the projection that the integrity of the books are in jeopardy. Am I missing anything? Oh, yes I am – CGC does not seem to care.

Code of Conduct-

Personalities clash; especially when everyone thinks they are the Alpha. What CGC is concerned with is how Facilitators treat Creators and Clients. We expect friction amongst Facilitators; that happens from time to time. Looking through this thread (and others), there is plenty that I could construe as a break in the Code of Conduct from a few various Facilitators, if I so chose. We also have this policy (which I can’t quote verbatim because it is at work): Facilitator’s shall not police each other. Obviously that seems to have gone out the window, but we could focus on that as well.

So, we’ll do this – Every CGC Facilitator, you’re Conduct is now under review. Specifically we will be looking at how you work with creators, with clients and do you go out of the bounds of normal behavior when dealing with a competing Facilitator. If you don’t think you’ve done anything wrong, you probably haven’t and have nothing to worry about.

And for the record, the only Facilitators I have never gotten a complaint about are Joel Elad, Andy (GACollectibles) and Kevin Boyd.

Integrity of the Books:

CGC has started a “Secret Shopper” program for policing its Facilitators. We told no one because it seemed it would defeat the purpose. The dry run was at SDCC and so far there have been no problems. Our “Secret Shopper” reported nothing amiss; pre-signed books were not accepted by different Facilitators, including the CGC Booth Staff and some of our CAW’s.

There has never been any proof that there has been any wrong doing with books. Mike is not afraid to Green label a book if there is something fishy, and we support his decisions 100% in that respect. We have heard conjecture, rumors and seen videos where you can not tell what is going on, but never anything concrete. A few years ago we even completely redesigned the Signature Series program getting rid of Witnesses and creating CAW’s which add another layer of security to the procedure.

CGC Doesn’t Care:

This is the busiest time of the year for us, the week before SDCC through the week after Chicago. I got some great responses to my request for ideas (Steve, Doug and a few others that I need to reply to, I apologize.) but at this point it seems actions will speak louder then words. We all know that CGC is slow when it comes to actions/policy changes. We have not been able to have any meetings on this yet as our higher ups have been out of the country and our focus has been on the upcoming onsite.

All I can say is; we care. Expect a pausing of the CGC Signature Series at the end of the year so we can revise the Signature Series if we feel it is necessary. The last time we did this, we created the CAW’s. We’ll announce the pause after Chicago.

I think we are heading in the direction of more private signings set up by CGC with creators who want to remove bulk books from their lines. Look for us to work more with the Hero Initiative to that end as well.

Well, would you look at that, an Eladesque lengthy post.

Do you guys remember this post? Let’s try this again:

"Treat others as you would want to be treated" is a good start. Perhaps we should strive for "treat others better then you expect to be treated" and we’ll see where that gets us.

As usual, you can reach me via PM or email. And really, this isn’t a “everyone is in check, you are all doomed.” post. CGC Signature Series is still strong, it is still vital and we need to come together to steer it’s future forward for everyone.