• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How much of a discount should a person get on approximately $14,000 worth...

102 posts in this topic

I already bought the comics. I think I got a deal, but I am looking to see what others say. Also, when I say High Grade I am talking mostly 9.2-9.4 range with some 9.0s and possible 9.6s. I am also interested in knowing how others in here calculate 9.4 prices since the guide only goes up to 9.2. Any feedback good or harsh would be appreciated. Thanks.

I already bought the comics. I think I got a deal, but I am looking to see what others say. Also, when I say High Grade I am talking mostly 9.2-9.4 range with some 9.0s and possible 9.6s. I am also interested in knowing how others in here calculate 9.4 prices since the guide only goes up to 9.2. Any feedback good or harsh would be appreciated. Thanks.

First of all, are you talking:

1) Non certified books

2) What age GA/SA/BA/Modern

3) Keys or popular titles / issues or more common books

All these have a huge factor on the true market value.

Tell us what you got and post some scans. grin.gif

too vague a question.

but in general, depending on the circumstance of the dealer that day, the particular books you bought, and what the dealer was into the books for.... Id say $11K would be a superb deal (nice round number). You probably paid around 12.5K. and a tough no-discount dealer might not budge below 13.500, saying stuff like "you took all my best books, or I could get way more breaking it up. or Im into it for that. or I cant replace these books, or I never discount, or Ive got a buyer for most of em already.....

what did you pay? was it cash cash?? Sometimes that makes a difference, sometimes not.

Based on the books you showed, if most really grade 9.2 or higher, then you got an excellent deal.

If most of the books grade less then 9.2, then you probably paid a fair price.

Of course, there is always the possiblity of some small color touches or other restoration. Who were the dealers?

Rather not say the dealer because I might do more deals. He did guarantee no restoration. I went through all the comics (about 150+) and graded them myself. I agree with the dealers grade on most of them. The ones whose grades I didn't agree with weren't off by much except 2 or 3 which had some hard to find flaws. A few were better than he graded in my opinion.

Personally I would be hesitant to drop $14K on raw books unless they were from a well known dealer and I made it clear that I was going to send them in for immediate grading with CGC to not only verify the grade but to eliminate the possibility that they are PLOD's. The premium on books that are 9.4's to a 9.0 or even a 9.2 can be 2-3X so buying raw is a tremendous risk. Whether you are pro-CGC or not, if you ever wanted to eventually sell and maximize your return on HG books worth thousands of dollars your going to have to go down the CGC route.

Whether you are pro-CGC or not, if you ever wanted to eventually sell and maximize your return on HG books worth thousands of dollars your going to have to go down the CGC route.

Looking at my most recent auctions I would say you are very right. I don't think it is possible to get close to guide for HG SA and BA without CGC. Now I just need to find out how to get my raw comics CGC'd the most economical way. From what I understand CGC will be at the next comic con in NYC in November. I am thinking of submitting there.

The premium on books that are 9.4's to a 9.0 or even a 9.2 can be 2-3X so buying raw is a tremendous risk.

He just said he spent 50-60% of guide.

sorry.gif missed that. Well the books you have shown us are pretty darn nice. Hopefully you have a few Marvel's in the pile. tongue.gif

The majority of the stuff I have is Marvel. My plan was to sell the DC and make back most of the money I spent so that I could keep the Marvel. Even at the discount I bought the books at I doubt I could make the money I spent selling them RAW on Ebay.

The only thing that I would say, is that it might make sense to have some of them pre-graded by CGC. If a lot of the books are late SA or BA, if they don't come back at least 9.2, then you will probably lose out having them CGC'd. Basically you could take your fifty best books and have them pre-graded by CGC as 9.2 or higher.

Just my take.

The premium on books that are 9.4's to a 9.0 or even a 9.2 can be 2-3X so buying raw is a tremendous risk.

He just said he spent 50-60% of guide.

sorry.gif missed that. Well the books you have shown us are pretty darn nice. Hopefully you have a few Marvel's in the pile. tongue.gif

The majority of the stuff I have is Marvel. acclaim.gif My plan was to sell the DC and make back most of the money I spent so that I could keep the Marvel. Even at the discount I bought the books at I doubt I could make the money I spent selling them RAW on Ebay.

Those DC 100 pagers look kind of cool but when you have some time share some of the SA and BA Marvel's. 50%-60% of guide sounds like a hell of deal.

so you got 60% off the 14K?? or you paid 60% of guide???

which is it?

if you got 60% off the 14K total you did great!!!

but, where did the 14K total come from? were the book sreally worth 14K?

and if you paid 60% of guide...well...there is no 9.4 in guide.... so what multiple of 9.2 was used for 9.4?

Or do you mean 60% of 9.2 guide across the board?

or was every book graded and a Guide price calculated....and THEN you paid 60% of that total??

makes a huuuge difference..

if so, what was the 9.4 multiple you twp agreed on.

and if I missed something, did you calculate this 60% figure yourself atwhen you got home by grading th ebooks yourself and calculating Guide values??

I was at 3 shows in the past month and it was at one of them. devil.gif When I was at the dealer looking through his comics a guy came up to sell him a stack of HG SA comics. The dealer basically went through the guys stack and cherry picked the best 75 or so for $500 bucks. I jokingly told him I will give him $600 for those same books. He grinned and declined. I continued looking through his other stuff in his boxes and picked out quite a stack of HG Marvels. We came to an agreement on 3 separate deals for the comics in his boxes which was several thousand. Then I said I would give him a $1,000 for that same stack he had just bought from the other guy. He declined, but he let me look through them. I then proceeded to pic out 25+ of the stack. He looked at them and said he would give them to me for 8.0 guide which came out to $675. I offered $600 and he accepted (most of these books were easily 9.2-9.4 or better). The guy seemed very honest to me and was only looking to make a nice profit based on what he paid to get his books and not trying to gouge anyone. It could be just me, but most of the other dealers there would not hagle over 5-10% of their cover price they had stickered on their comics which was usually marked up 1.5 to 3 times guide in most cases. This dealer I bought most of my stuff was willing to deal so I gave him most of my business and will do so again once I replenish my bank account and my wife says it is okay. headbang.gif