• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How much of a discount should a person get on approximately $14,000 worth...

102 posts in this topic

Put up a want list (title, issue number, and desired grade) in the Marketplace thread and I'm sure you'll get some responses.

My want list is basically Marvels entire SA and BA (put it in my Sig Line). Specifically any FF, Spidey, JIM, TOS, TTA, Hulk, Thor, Ironman, Avengers, X-men, Tomb Of Dracula, Werewolf By Night, Marvel Premiere, Marvel Spotlight, Marvel Team-Up, Marvel Presents, Marvel Super-Heroes, Marvel Two-In-One, Warlock, Marvel Feature, most Giant-Size issues, Sub-Mariner, SGT. Fury, Nick Fury, Agent Of Shield, Captain America, Captain Marvel, Silver Surfer and Strange Tales in 9.2-9.4 condition at prices less much better than the 64% of guide I paid. I figure 50% for core SA titles and 40% for non-core SA tiles and early BA stuff. takeit.gif

I think youre kinds misreading the comments around here. We'd ALL love to buy 9.2s and 9.4s for what, 50% guide, 40% guide?? Where do I sign up!!! Thats not gonna happen (help me out here Bob!

Dealers never sell true 9.2s and 9.4s for half off.

What I have been saying and I think a few others, is that you may only think you got these books for 40% off list price or total value.

Yikes. I hate to be The [!@#%^&^], but if that's what you got for $8K, you seriously overpaid. blush.gif

Since we don't know how the individual issues grade out, we can't say this for sure. If the average grade of the best 25% of the lot is closer to 8.5 or 9.0, then he probably overpaid...if they're closer to 9.2/9.4, then he might not have.

SpideySense, if you decide to slab any of these, be sure to update this thread with the grades you get.

I think youre kinds misreading the comments around here. We'd ALL love to buy 9.2s and 9.4s for what, 50% guide, 40% guide?? Where do I sign up!!! Thats not gonna happen (help me out here Bob!

Dealers never sell true 9.2s and 9.4s for half off.

What I have been saying and I think a few others, is that you may only think you got these books for 40% off list price or total value.

I see. You are saying you doubt I know how to grade and the dealer marked up his 8.0s and 8.5s to 9.2-9.4s. Fair enough. I admit I am not an expert grader, but most of my buyers on Ebay have been happy with the grades I assigned my comics.

I see. You are saying you doubt I know how to grade and the dealer marked up his 8.0s and 8.5s to 9.2-9.4s.

He's saying that the majority of collectors do fall into this category, and that we haven't seen reason to believe you're one of the minority of graders who have spent the focused, disciplined time it takes to become a tight grader who can efficiently identify all defects on a comic and consistently assign grades to that set of defects. It takes years of very focused effort to gain that skill. Pointing at satisified E-Bay customers isn't helpful...some of the worst graders on E-Bay have surprisingly high feedback since most customers can't grade, either, and since many don't want the hassle or confrontation of trying to get refunds, nor do they want retaliatory e-bay feedback battles.

The people around here are very used to hearing "I thought I was a tight grader, and then I sent my books to CGC...MAN they're harsh" stories. Most forum members here carry around tiny little violins to set those stories to music whenever they get posted...

but what did you get that added up to the other $8000??

DCs

Adventure Comics #435

Batman #185

DC 100 Page Spectacular #DC-18, DC-20

Detective #412, 439, 468

Flash #218

Justice League of America #41, 50

Strange Adventures #213

Superman #222

Superman Family #164

Superman's Girlfriend #53, 64

World's Finest #170

Marvels

Amazing Spider-man #53, #129

Avengers #9, 11, 77, 79

Captian America #107, 108,

Daredevil #41, 42, 46, 92

Defenders #2, 3, 5, 6, 9, 15, 16, 23

Fantastic Four #25, 60, 64, 67, 80, 81, 83, 109, 129, 144

Giant Size Defenders #1, 2, 3

Gian Size Super Stars #1

G.I. Joe #21

Incredible Hulk #110, 112, 113, 122, 162

Ironman #5, 7

Journey Into Mystery #114, 124

Marvel Spotlight #11

Marvel Team-Up #7, 9, 14, 18

Nick Fury, Agent Of Shield # 3x2, 6, 7x2

Strange Tales #168

Tales Of Suspense #52, 90

Tales To Astonish #50, 60, 79, 85

Thor #153, 190, 192, 197

Tomb Of Dracula #6

Werewolf By Night #32

X-men #21, 30, 45, 46, 52, 117, 125, 127, 129

Warlock #1, 10

Yikes. I hate to be The [!@#%^&^], but if that's what you got for $8K, you seriously overpaid. blush.gif

First time saw the list...

I agree with FD.

Not enough keys! foreheadslap.gif

Oh and BTW if you want to sell some to get some money back I need one book off that list.

Hulk 110.

I'll take it for 66.666% of book if you want to sell provided it's a 9.0.

You'll make a small profit! 27_laughing.gifshy.gif893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Im not saying that I dont think you know how to grade, cause Im not sure I know how to grade. None of us can really grade exactly like CGC does (just look at the scores in the grading contest!)

Im saying, Spidey, that this deal is as good or bad on paper expressed as a percentage off or of true value as YOU calculated it in Excel based on the grades YOU came up with. Ive done it myself and come up with similar numbers. But I have been known to be an optimistic grader, especially of my own stuff. And many dealers are too.

and since CGC came along, there are three kinds of grades: yours, mine and CGCs. Which one do you think is the "final grade" that matters most?

Sorry, but if your goal is to aquire runs of SA Marvels in true 9.2/9.4 shape for 40-50% of guide, you're living in a dream world. If I could get books off of my want list in raw 9.4, and be sure I was getting unrestored and accurately graded copies, I would be willing to consistently spend a lot more than 40-50% of guide, and so would a lot of other people with much deeper pockets.

There are a lot of high grade collectors, spending 1.5 - 5X guide for graded 9.2's and 9.4's, and we're certainly not doing it because of the purdy labels. makepoint.gif

I see. You are saying you doubt I know how to grade and the dealer marked up his 8.0s and 8.5s to 9.2-9.4s.

He's saying that the majority of collectors do fall into this category, and that we haven't seen reason to believe you're one of the minority of graders who have spent the focused, disciplined time it takes to become a tight grader who can efficiently identify all defects on a comic and consistently assign grades to that set of defects. It takes years of very focused effort to gain that skill. Pointing at satisified E-Bay customers isn't helpful...some of the worst graders on E-Bay have surprisingly high feedback since most customers can't grade, either, and since many don't want the hassle or confrontation of trying to get refunds, nor do they want retaliatory e-bay feedback battles.

The people around here are very used to hearing "I thought I was a tight grader, and then I sent my books to CGC...MAN they're harsh" stories. Most forum members here carry around tiny little violins to set those stories to music whenever they get posted...

Ok, lets ASSUME (yeah, I know what assuming does) for the sake of this discussion that I am an accurate grader and the dealer didn't screw me with a bunch of defective books and the majority are in fact 9.2-9.4. Did I get a deal? That's what I need to know. If it turns out they aren't what I think they are I will find that out later when I go to get them slabbed which will suck frown.gif , but if they come back what I think they should or even 9.0s then I will be happy. yay.gif

Sorry, but if your goal is to aquire runs of SA Marvels in true 9.2/9.4 shape for 40-50% of guide, you're living in a dream world.

Kind of figured that, but the way people were talking I was beginning to believe it was possible.

If I could get books off of my want list in raw 9.4, and be sure I was getting unrestored and accurately graded copies, I would be willing to consistently spend a lot more than 40-50% of guide, and so would a lot of other people with much deeper pockets.

Me to.

There are a lot of high grade collectors, spending 1.5 - 5X guide for graded 9.2's and 9.4's, and we're certainly not doing it because of the purdy labels. makepoint.gif

True that. I already offered 11xguide for a Subby #8 CGC 9.6 OW/W and got shot down. All I really wanted to know is that if I graded accurately, and the majority came back from CGC in the 9.2-9.4 range did I get a deal. I think the obvious answer would be yes, wouldn't it? confused-smiley-013.gif I know most people think it is impossible that they are graded that high and I got suckered, but what if?

Ok, lets ASSUME (yeah, I know what assuming does) for the sake of this discussion that I am an accurate grader and the dealer didn't screw me with a bunch of defective books and the majority are in fact 9.2-9.4. Did I get a deal? That's what I need to know.

Probably, IF you got them slabbed, but then you've got to add the CGC costs to the equation. One of those nice Silver Age books in 9.6 would make up for a lot of sins on the other books, but then again, it's unlikely the dealer passed those on to you if the person does much slabbing.

Did you notice whether the dealer usually uses CGC? Most of the dealers in my area I deal with don't and aren't in the habit of cherry-picking their own books to get slabbed, but I assume most dealers are better at it at the bigger shows.

Ok, lets ASSUME (yeah, I know what assuming does) for the sake of this discussion that I am an accurate grader and the dealer didn't screw me with a bunch of defective books and the majority are in fact 9.2-9.4. Did I get a deal? That's what I need to know.

Probably, IF you got them slabbed, but then you've got to add the CGC costs to the equation. One of those nice Silver Age books in 9.6 would make up for a lot of sins on the other books, but then again, it's unlikely the dealer passed those on to you if the person does much slabbing.

Did you notice whether the dealer usually uses CGC? Most of the dealers in my area I deal with don't and aren't in the habit of cherry-picking their own books to get slabbed, but I assume most dealers are better at it at the bigger shows.

He told me he had sent a lot of books to CGC and none came back restored. I bought the ASM #136 CGC 9.6 OW/W from him. I think my ace in the hole is the ones I bought from him that he just bought of a guy while I was standing at his table. He didn't get a good chance to look through them and a lot of them look very sweet especially the DDs #41, 42, and 46. cloud9.gif

He told me he had sent a lot of books to CGC and none came back restored. I bought the ASM #136 CGC 9.6 OW/W from him.

The concern there is that some of the best books in your lot would be worth slabbing if they were really in 9.2 or better, so the dealer--hedging as most do that a 9.0 could reasonably end up coming back anywhere from 8.5 to 9.2--thought they were a bad risk to get slabbed to help fetch full Overstreet value or better.

If you posted your grades on the top 10 or 20 Overstreet-valued copies in the lot, I'd have a clearer picture of how good the deal was. Many of the non-key late Silver and Bronze books don't say much for the overall deal, but the handful of better books would.

I'll post some pics of the top 10 tomorrow. I am done for today. My auctions are over and I am going to relax. I think I let my enthusiasm get the best of me and I felt I had to share what I thought was good fortune with the rest of you about my deal. I am back down with my feet firmly on the ground again.

I think I let my enthusiasm get the best of me and I felt I had to share what I thought was good fortune with the rest of you about my deal. I am back down with my feet firmly on the ground again.

It very well might have been a good deal--PARTICULARLY if you're looking to keep most of them! So don't get down; I'd definitely be on cloud 9 if this were my purchase since it ain't easy to come away from a con with a set of books you're semi-happy with. cloud9.gif Nobody is in a position to assess your deal except you (and the dealer).

Further--though I know posting scans in the grading forum here has just EXPLODED in popularity recently--I believe we still won't have an accurate picture even if you did post scans. I still strongly feel an accurately described, written list of defects including severities (length, width, area, location) is superior to any scan. My grandma can find defects if she's in a clear, focused state of mind...it's assigning a grade to a well-defined set of defects where the controversy and years of focused study are required. But neither my grandma, nor someone with steely concentration like a Tiger Woods, can effectively evaluate many types of defects based upon a scan.

Posting scnas could possibly allow us to spot defects that you may have missed, but examining a book in-hand at different angles under bright light is the only real way to grade. That's also the tough thing about buying at cons, even if you're a tight grader...more often than not, the 9.0 or 9.2 books I buy end up being 8.0 or 8.5 once I get them home and find the harder-to-spot defects under raking light.

The easiest way to find out if you got a good deal would be to name the dealer.Many of us have alot of experiance at Big Apple shows and knowing whom you were dealing with would go a long way towards us giving your an insight into if it was a good deal or not.Of the books you listed,ther are perhaps four that I would have been looking at,if the Sox weren't in town.There are very few backstabbers on this board,from my experiance.

If you told me you bought books that were as described from Blazing Bob,I think everyone would say good deal.

If they came from Rich Muchin or Neatstuff,you'd be in a bit of trouble.

Getting 40% off an overgraded,overpriced book is no bargin. 40% off a strictly graded and priced book is a great deal.Without knowing who the seller was,we are just whistling in the haze.

Please join us for our forum dinner if you'll be at the show.

He told me he had sent a lot of books to CGC and none came back restored. I bought the ASM #136 CGC 9.6 OW/W from him. I think my ace in the hole is the ones I bought from him that he just bought of a guy while I was standing at his table. He didn't get a good chance to look through them and a lot of them look very sweet especially the DDs #41, 42, and 46.

The first statement is a little concerning. Basically, it say that he didn't feel the need to get some of these certified. We've seen the TOS #52 (key book) and we've seen the Avengers #11, which is a minor key. It looks great, but has a huge date stamp.

Basically, if the Avengers #9, FF#25, Sgt. Fury #13 comeback as 9.4's or higher, then you have done fine. If they are 9.0's, you probably could have gotten all the books CGC'd already for about the same price.

Regarding the new batch of books, the problem there is a DD #41,42 and 46 in CGC 9.4 are $100-150 books (and that means you have to spend $30 to get the money). In other words you might have gotten a really good deal, but maybe not enough if the other books don't pan out.

The first statement is a little concerning. Basically, it say that he didn't feel the need to get some of these certified.

The first thing I'm always asking myself when I see an unslabbed book like an FF 25 or Avengers 11 is "why didn't he slab this book?" If I don't know the dealer, then I try to figure out if they even use CGC. Many smaller, regional dealers still don't. If they do, then I've gotta think the book has a defect not visible under dim convention lights, or the book is right on the cusp of what's worth slabbing and what isn't. A 9.0 Avengers 11 is a great example of this since it's probably not worth subbing if it's 8.5, but it is if it's a 9.2, so a 9.0 is a bit of a risk unless you're sure.

The easiest way to find out if you got a good deal would be to name the dealer.Many of us have alot of experiance at Big Apple shows and knowing whom you were dealing with would go a long way towards us giving your an insight into if it was a good deal or not.Of the books you listed,ther are perhaps four that I would have been looking at,if the Sox weren't in town.There are very few backstabbers on this board,from my experiance.

If you told me you bought books that were as described from Blazing Bob,I think everyone would say good deal.

If they came from Rich Muchin or Neatstuff,you'd be in a bit of trouble.

Getting 40% off an overgraded,overpriced book is no bargin. 40% off a strictly graded and priced book is a great deal.Without knowing who the seller was,we are just whistling in the haze.

Please join us for our forum dinner if you'll be at the show.

I won't say who the dealer is for a couple of reasons. The first is because out of all the dealers at the con I liked this guy's attitude and willing to deal approach and will want to do business with him in the future without having to compete with anyone in here for his comics (although looking at the posts I don't think anyone in here would do the same deal I did). Second, I see no reason to possibly have this guy's name and reputation dragged through the mud because some people in here had dealings with him and don't like him for whatever reason. I feel he was more than fair with me. I am quite happy with the deal I made even if the comics turn out to be a little lower in grade than I think they are. cool.gif

I think I let my enthusiasm get the best of me and I felt I had to share what I thought was good fortune with the rest of you about my deal. I am back down with my feet firmly on the ground again.

It very well might have been a good deal--PARTICULARLY if you're looking to keep most of them! So don't get down; I'd definitely be on cloud 9 if this were my purchase since it ain't easy to come away from a con with a set of books you're semi-happy with. cloud9.gif Nobody is in a position to assess your deal except you (and the dealer).

Further--though I know posting scans in the grading forum here has just EXPLODED in popularity recently--I believe we still won't have an accurate picture even if you did post scans. I still strongly feel an accurately described, written list of defects including severities (length, width, area, location) is superior to any scan. My grandma can find defects if she's in a clear, focused state of mind...it's assigning a grade to a well-defined set of defects where the controversy and years of focused study are required. But neither my grandma, nor someone with steely concentration like a Tiger Woods, can effectively evaluate many types of defects based upon a scan.

Posting scnas could possibly allow us to spot defects that you may have missed, but examining a book in-hand at different angles under bright light is the only real way to grade. That's also the tough thing about buying at cons, even if you're a tight grader...more often than not, the 9.0 or 9.2 books I buy end up being 8.0 or 8.5 once I get them home and find the harder-to-spot defects under raking light.

I think I am going to hold off on posting anymore scans until I get some CGC'd. Thanks for the kind words. I am happy with my purchase.