• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How much of a discount should a person get on approximately $14,000 worth...

102 posts in this topic

so you got 60% off the 14K?? or you paid 60% of guide???

which is it?

if you got 60% off the 14K total you did great!!!

but, where did the 14K total come from? were the book sreally worth 14K?

and if you paid 60% of guide...well...there is no 9.4 in guide.... so what multiple of 9.2 was used for 9.4?

Or do you mean 60% of 9.2 guide across the board?

or was every book graded and a Guide price calculated....and THEN you paid 60% of that total??

makes a huuuge difference..

if so, what was the 9.4 multiple you twp agreed on.

and if I missed something, did you calculate this 60% figure yourself atwhen you got home by grading th ebooks yourself and calculating Guide values??

I paid exactly 64% of guide value based on my grading which was very close to the dealers grading. As far as the price that the dealer had actually marked on the comics I probably only paid closer to the 50% range of that (because the books were marked up in value a bit above guide). Either way I figure it was a considerable discount.

well... i see you're from Jersey, and since I lived there for a long time I know there's the Clifton show (which stinks) so I'm guessing Big Apple or Baltimore.

At any rate, $14k is a lot to drop at any one time, even if you got a good deal, especially since if you're ever planning on trying to get your money out of the books, it will be so time and labor intensive it'll seem rediculous. If you bought them for your collection, congrats, but plan on holding on to them for awhile... raw books is such a [!@#%^&^] shoot these days -- but at least in 9.0/2 it's a little less risky.

I've got to say that almost every dealer I've dealt with has been willing to deal. Most will go a reasonable amount off sticker if you don't try and nickel and dime them afterwards. If I was spending $10k, I'd expect a pretty big discount. If spend $200, then a nice discount for non-key books (even in high grade) will make me a repeat customer.

I'm glad this deal worked out for you, but I would be curious as to who it is.

clifton huh? dude, i've never encountered one dealer in Clifton (outside Gary Platt) who ever had accurately graded stuff or had much of a clue about comics. I'm glad your experience was different, but I gave up on that show years ago. I think JP does it just to get out of the house.

Those Swamp Things I just sold this morning on Ebay were bought at Clifton at a much better deal than the one I started this thread about. It is a good thing I got a deal because I didn't even get 40% guide on the Swamp Things or the Kamandis which is why I am re-thinking selling non-CGC high grade stuff on Ebay. I am actually really regretting listing the Swamp Things now. I thought for sure they would do better. I had a nice Showcase #60 7.5-8.0 (1st SA Spectre) that didn't even make my rediculous reserve of $59.99 on a $170+ comic. confused-smiley-013.gif

so you got 60% off the 14K?? or you paid 60% of guide???

which is it?

if you got 60% off the 14K total you did great!!!

but, where did the 14K total come from? were the book sreally worth 14K?

and if you paid 60% of guide...well...there is no 9.4 in guide.... so what multiple of 9.2 was used for 9.4?

Or do you mean 60% of 9.2 guide across the board?

or was every book graded and a Guide price calculated....and THEN you paid 60% of that total??

makes a huuuge difference..

if so, what was the 9.4 multiple you twp agreed on.

and if I missed something, did you calculate this 60% figure yourself atwhen you got home by grading th ebooks yourself and calculating Guide values??

I paid exactly 64% of guide value based on my grading which was very close to the dealers grading. As far as the price that the dealer had actually marked on the comics I probably only paid closer to the 50% range of that (because the books were marked up in value a bit above guide). Either way I figure it was a considerable discount.

heres the thing... and try to believe Im not trying to disbelieve your good fortune...

If YOU went home and graded the stack of comics and calculated that you only paid 64% of what they are worth.... just go back and grade them again only higher, and youll have saved even MORE money!! Ill bet you can get it down to a 50% discount!!

seriously, the flaw in the accounting is that you yourself graded them. Not so much "you' in particular, I mean that the buyer/collector of the story did. And you say your grading pretty much matched the seller's grading.... well, we all know dealers who mark up the prices and or grades in order to be able to come way down on prices.. (or not, even better!!)

so I suggest you go back in a day or two, and grade a dozen of them again at random.. They might all look a bit lower grade in a second evaluation. (And try to imagine what CGC will grade them.... and do it in a bright light to spot all the tiny stresses and stains and creases on the fronts AND backs that they wont gloss over in a greedy frenzy of good fortune) See how many 9.4s and 9.2s now honestly and conservatively only look like 9.0s and very nice 8.5s.. and then calculate the 50% LESS profit you made when 9.4s(at 4 times the 9.2 guide price) turn into 9.0s (about 80% the 9.2s...

and dont hate me for splashing cold water on you. Trust me, Ive been there !! Probably the worst grader is a collector trying to calculate how awesome a recent deal was!!! Raw books are a tough game right now.

Those Swamp Things I just sold this morning on Ebay were bought at Clifton at a much better deal than the one I started this thread about. It is a good thing I got a deal because I didn't even get 40% guide on the Swamp Things or the Kamandis which is why I am re-thinking selling non-CGC high grade stuff on Ebay. I am actually really regretting listing the Swamp Things now. I thought for sure they would do better. I had a nice Showcase #60 7.5-8.0 (1st SA Spectre) that didn't even make my rediculous reserve of $59.99 on a $170+ comic.

I did not see your Swamp Thing auctions but every once in a while, I can buy NM copies (or #1-10) at shows for about 60% of guide. I love those books, but they are rather ubiquitous. The truth is, unless a book is a stone cold NM or better, getting 60% is probably the max you will get. I been lucky the past two months and have bought a few Silver-Age books in CGC 9.2 for less than GUIDE PRICE.

Feel free to have some forum members grade the books. Take very clear pictures of the front and back and put them in the grading forum. If the books really are that nice, then I would bet some forum members would offer pretty reasonable amounts for the books that you want to sell (to recoup some of your investment). Take that money and CGC the nicest books.

Just a suggestion.

Some nice corners on those raw books but too bad about the grease pen on that Avengers #11.

Where it is, and how big, literally kills that book. Would be lucky to get half of what the true market value of the book is.

Also, one of the biggest reasons I don't buy unslabbed books much, is page quality. A lot of times, even a NM book will get the dread C-OW from CGC, which reduces the value at least 20%.

Where it is, and how big, literally kills that book. Would be lucky to get half of what the true market value of the book is.

Half seems an exaggeration...70% to 90% is more like it. I don't buy books with prominent writing like that, but for some odd reason, there are plenty of people who don't seem to mind it much. Don't ask me why. confused-smiley-013.gifscrewy.gif

Spidey:

At this year's Chicago show I sold nearly $20,000 of GA books to dealers on Thursday afternoon before the show opened. They were all raw. They consisted of Timely/Atlas super-heroes, humor, teen humor, and romance.

I was giving dealers $15% off if they bought $1,000 or more. One dealer spent $10,000. His books stickered at $12,200.

Now this was stuff that rarely shows up - especially in complete runs - but it was priced at about 1.25 to 1.5 of Overstreet to begin with.

I feel a discount for large purchases is both expected by buyers and just good business.

--Gary

If you don't think you can get what you paid for the books by auctioning them on eBay,I think you overpaid.

Do like Aman(?) suggested and let the books sit a few days. I bought a real nice run of what I thought were strong VF books in Philly but when I sat down to read them I was surprised by how weak some of them were.

Some nice corners on those raw books but too bad about the grease pen on that Avengers #11.

Also, one of the biggest reasons I don't buy unslabbed books much, is page quality. A lot of times, even a NM book will get the dread C-OW from CGC, which reduces the value at least 20%.

I bought an Avengers #4 raw and then sent it for grading but it came back with cream to off-white pages. frown.gif

heres the thing... and try to believe Im not trying to disbelieve your good fortune...

If YOU went home and graded the stack of comics and calculated that you only paid 64% of what they are worth.... just go back and grade them again only higher, and youll have saved even MORE money!! Ill bet you can get it down to a 50% discount!!

seriously, the flaw in the accounting is that you yourself graded them. Not so much "you' in particular, I mean that the buyer/collector of the story did. And you say your grading pretty much matched the seller's grading.... well, we all know dealers who mark up the prices and or grades in order to be able to come way down on prices.. (or not, even better!!)

so I suggest you go back in a day or two, and grade a dozen of them again at random.. They might all look a bit lower grade in a second evaluation. (And try to imagine what CGC will grade them.... and do it in a bright light to spot all the tiny stresses and stains and creases on the fronts AND backs that they wont gloss over in a greedy frenzy of good fortune) See how many 9.4s and 9.2s now honestly and conservatively only look like 9.0s and very nice 8.5s.. and then calculate the 50% LESS profit you made when 9.4s(at 4 times the 9.2 guide price) turn into 9.0s (about 80% the 9.2s...

and dont hate me for splashing cold water on you. Trust me, Ive been there !! Probably the worst grader is a collector trying to calculate how awesome a recent deal was!!! Raw books are a tough game right now.

Your didn't rain on my parade. I am pretty realistic and grounded about things. Thanks for all the input. I understand a person can over-grade 1st time around. I usually try to under-grade. I almost never grade anything better than 9.4 because it gets so subjective. You are probably right some of what I think are 9.4s probably are 9.2s etc... and I would be happy with that. On the other side of the coin some of what I think are 9.0s might be 9.2s and some that I graded 9.2 might actually be 9.4. To me, any SA Marvel Super-Hero in 8.5 or better (especially keys) are very collectable. Yes, I would be disappointed if a lot of the books turn out to be not what I hoped for if I CGC them, but I don't think I will loose any money based on what I paid for them. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif CGC is a [!@#%^&^] shoot, you never know what grade you will get back. I will probably pick what I think are the best candidates out of the lot and send them in. The dealer I bought the majority of the comics off says he never had 1 come back restored. Since most of the comics I bought are below $100 in value I doubt anyone would have wasted their money to get such a comic restored. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif Anyhow, I am going to hope for the best. Hopefully, CGC will give me some nice X-mas presents this year. yay.gif

thanx for understanding my comments.

as for the dealers comment about them not being restored, I think the concern is not that they were sent out for true professional restoration, but a danger of amateur color touch. Many collectors succumb to the irrational compulsion to make their comics look nicer...

Color-touching in SA Marvels is a huge problem.Almost half of the TOS 58s I've bought off ebay have had ct.

I kept all but one as I've gotten them so cheap,but am very leery of buying any black or purple cover books on ebay for much more than 10% of their worth unless seller has strong return policy.I think others must feel that way too,as I've managed to win a few books at these ridiculas bids.

As a dealer and you've already gotten another dealers comment (Moondog's) I would be happy that you got a great deal. If you happy with the grades and the price you paid then enjoy them. You will not find my dealers willing to give discounts of 50% off high grade regardless of how much you spend.

Those Swamp Things I just sold this morning on Ebay were bought at Clifton at a much better deal than the one I started this thread about. It is a good thing I got a deal because I didn't even get 40% guide on the Swamp Things or the Kamandis which is why I am re-thinking selling non-CGC high grade stuff on Ebay. I am actually really regretting listing the Swamp Things now.

Everyone has Swamp Things and Kamandis. Those books are super common. They only really generate interest in top grades.

that's the whole reason you got a deal on most of the books... it's because the books themselves don't seem to be all that rare... but as Bob noted above, if you're happy with the books you got, then why worry about it, if you got them for resale, you're in trouble.

And as I said with the grading before, I haven't seen one dealer, outside of Gary Platt, who knew how to grade at the Clifton or Wayne shows. Once in awhile you can find a gem there, but other than mid grade, or overgraded NMs that are really VFs, you'll have a tough time finding a real bargain there.

not that the no minimum bid auction in wayne isn't a lot of fun...