• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How much of a discount should a person get on approximately $14,000 worth...

102 posts in this topic

thats a nice pile of books and if in grade a pretty good haul. Not too many really 'exciting' books on the list, so the question becomes would it have ben better to spend 8K on one or 2 very key book sin 9.4 lets say, or one big Marvel key like an AF15 in 7.0 - 7.5??? dont know. Its a judgement call.. easier to move smaller books, but more work (and grading fees) ....

Welcome to the world of being a dealer. No matter what you get it's not what "everybody" wants. Of course if "cherry picking" could get you just the books you want for the discount you got then dealers would buy fewer collections. I'm sure your "discount" factored in the fact that some of these books were "commons".

Most of the Marvels will go into my personal collection except for a few that didn't make the cut do to condition. The DCs I will probably CGC some and sell the rest raw in the future. The collection as a whole guides at $7,700 in 9.0 guide, not counting the CGC 9.6 ASM #136. I think the vast majority are 9.2-9.4 with a few worse and a couple possible 9.6s, but I will have to wait and see when I have them CGC'd. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Most of the Marvels will go into my personal collection except for a few that didn't make the cut do to condition. The DCs I will probably CGC some and sell the rest raw in the future. The collection as a whole guides at $7,700 in 9.0 guide, not counting the CGC 9.6 ASM #136. I think the vast majority are 9.2-9.4 with a few worse and a couple possible 9.6s, but I will have to wait and see when I have them CGC'd.

Well, if a nice amount of them grade 9.4 (and I mean a CGC 9.4), then you did fine. But to really sell them and make a healthy profit, you will probably need to CGC them (which will cost you between $30-50 a book).

Also, one of the key books was the TOS #52 which is at best an 8.5. And there is a huge difference in price between an 8.5 and a 9.2 on that book.

Also, one of the key books was the TOS #52 which is at best an 8.5. And there is a huge difference in price between an 8.5 and a 9.2 on that book.

I knew the TOS #52 was in the VF+ range when I bought it, but it is so hard to find a decent copy at a resonable price. The 9.0s of that issue as well as #57 (1st Hawkeye), Avengers #57 (1st Viston) and TTA #44 (1st Wasp) go for multiples of guide from what I have seen. I just hope CGC has a lazy eye if I ever send it to get slabbed.

Most of the Marvels will go into my personal collection except for a few that didn't make the cut do to condition. The DCs I will probably CGC some and sell the rest raw in the future. The collection as a whole guides at $7,700 in 9.0 guide, not counting the CGC 9.6 ASM #136. I think the vast majority are 9.2-9.4 with a few worse and a couple possible 9.6s, but I will have to wait and see when I have them CGC'd.

Well, if a nice amount of them grade 9.4 (and I mean a CGC 9.4), then you did fine. But to really sell them and make a healthy profit, you will probably need to CGC them (which will cost you between $30-50 a book).

Almost $1,000 difference, to be precise. 893frustrated.gif

I knew the TOS #52 was in the VF+ range when I bought it, but it is so hard to find a decent copy at a resonable price. The 9.0s of that issue as well as #57 (1st Hawkeye), Avengers #57 (1st Viston) and TTA #44 (1st Wasp) go for multiples of guide from what I have seen. I just hope CGC has a lazy eye if I ever send it to get slabbed.

Good luck. They seem to really hammer TOS#52.

You don't need our feedback if you are confident in your buying and selling ability.

Not at all. I am confident, but that doesn't mean I am 100% sure. I find all feedback useful whether it is harsh or good. You don't learn unless you ask. My selling ability has just been proving to be very lacking looking at my auctions yesterday. I was really expecting to do better on those Swamp Things, Kamandis, and Showcase #60. I put huge digital pics (not as good as a scanner, but still pretty good). For the price I got those I would still buy them again, but I would research a bit more before I sell. Basically, I proved I don't know 893censored-thumb.gif about DCs and was lucky to make a little money on that Clifton deal and get to keep the Marvels.

On e-Bay, you need to do real volume to make any money.

If you can get a 10% markup you are doing well.As your feedback grows more people will watch your auctions.

Its not your selling abilities at all.e-Bayis the worlds largest flea market,nothing more.

Its all about volume. And a 12.5% markup. hi.gif

but what did you get that added up to the other $8000??

DCs

Adventure Comics #435

Batman #185

DC 100 Page Spectacular #DC-18, DC-20

Detective #412, 439, 468

Flash #218

Justice League of America #41, 50

Strange Adventures #213

Superman #222

Superman Family #164

Superman's Girlfriend #53, 64

World's Finest #170

Marvels

Amazing Spider-man #53, #129

Avengers #9, 11, 77, 79

Captian America #107, 108,

Daredevil #41, 42, 46, 92

Defenders #2, 3, 5, 6, 9, 15, 16, 23

Fantastic Four #25, 60, 64, 67, 80, 81, 83, 109, 129, 144

Giant Size Defenders #1, 2, 3

Gian Size Super Stars #1

G.I. Joe #21

Incredible Hulk #110, 112, 113, 122, 162

Ironman #5, 7

Journey Into Mystery #114, 124

Marvel Spotlight #11

Marvel Team-Up #7, 9, 14, 18

Nick Fury, Agent Of Shield # 3x2, 6, 7x2

Strange Tales #168

Tales Of Suspense #52, 90

Tales To Astonish #50, 60, 79, 85

Thor #153, 190, 192, 197

Tomb Of Dracula #6

Werewolf By Night #32

X-men #21, 30, 45, 46, 52, 117, 125, 127, 129

Warlock #1, 10

Yikes. I hate to be The [!@#%^&^], but if that's what you got for $8K, you seriously overpaid. blush.gif

and there's the point. I'm a little more negative on this transaction only as a precaution. It's the books themselves or the deal that I'm negative so much as it is the thought that if you spend $8k on books that are for your collection, no argument, but the original question was, was this a good deal, and my answer is no, if it was done for profit or even partially for profit. We have to assume the books are in grade, and even assuming that, there's a lot of time and effort that's going to be put into selling those books.

Bob noted that it was a problem that you couldn't cherry pick through a collection to get a deal... and I agree... but this "deal" is just one that I would never do, and I guess that's why I'm not so high on it.

thats a nice pile of books and if in grade a pretty good haul. Not too many really 'exciting' books on the list, so the question becomes would it have ben better to spend 8K on one or 2 very key book sin 9.4 lets say, or one big Marvel key like an AF15 in 7.0 - 7.5??? dont know. Its a judgement call.. easier to move smaller books, but more work (and grading fees) ....

Here is the way I look at and how my mind works. I would rather buy a bunch of minor key or common HG SA and early BA omics and risk making a mistake on a few of them than buy 1 or 2 big Keys and find out one or both have defects or were restored.

DCs

Adventure Comics #435

Batman #185

Detective #412, 439, 468

Flash #218

Strange Adventures #213

Superman #222

Superman Family #164

World's Finest #170

Marvels

Amazing Spider-man #53, #129, #136 CGC 9.6 OW/W

Avengers #9, 11, 77, 79

Gian Size Super Stars #1

G.I. Joe #21

Ironman #5, 7

Marvel Spotlight #11

SGT. Fury #3, 4, 5, 7, 9, 13

Strange Tales #168

Thor #153, 190, 192, 197

Tomb Of Dracula #6

Werewolf By Night #32

Warlock #1, 10

Yikes. I hate to be The [!@#%^&^], but if that's what you got for $8K, you seriously overpaid. blush.gif

I added the SGT Fury's and the ASM #139 CGC 9.6 OW/W to the list above that I missed in that original post. I respect your opinion that I overpaid. All I know is I will have money in my pocket at the national show in NYC in November and I am looking for the names of dealers who are going to be there who think they could give me a much better deal than this one and I will drop by their booth and do some business. I am totally serious. Give me an example of what I can get from you for $8,000 in HG Marvel SA and early Bronze. What guarantees will you give about restoration and your grades if CGC'd?

DCs

Adventure Comics #435

Batman #185

Detective #412, 439, 468

Flash #218

Strange Adventures #213

Superman #222

Superman Family #164

World's Finest #170

Marvels

Amazing Spider-man #53, #129, #136 CGC 9.6 OW/W

Avengers #9, 11, 77, 79

Gian Size Super Stars #1

G.I. Joe #21

Ironman #5, 7

Marvel Spotlight #11

SGT. Fury #3, 4, 5, 7, 9, 13

Strange Tales #168

Thor #153, 190, 192, 197

Tomb Of Dracula #6

Werewolf By Night #32

Warlock #1, 10

I added the SGT Fury's and the ASM #139 CGC 9.6 OW/W to the list above that I missed in that original post. I respect your opinion that I overpaid. All I know is I will have money in my pocket at the national show in NYC in November and I am looking for the names of dealers who are going to be there who think they could give me a much better deal than this one and I will drop by their booth and do some business. I am totally serious. Give me an example of what I can get from you for $8,000 in HG Marvel SA and early Bronze. What guarantees will you give about restoration and your grades if CGC'd?

Its not so much how much you paid, but what you bought. What is the purpose of this buy? Is it to flip and make a profit? Is it to go into your personal collection? For $8K you should have been able to get the price down further on these books. There's nothing in here that is a major (or minor) key outside of the FF 25, WWBN 32, Spidey 129 and the Fury 13, and unless you're going to get 9.6s, there's nothing that will sell for a significant multiple of Guide.

If you're looking for investment appreciation, these are not the books to purchase. A sizeable majority of them (most, if not all of the Bronze Age books) are plentiful in HG, and the Silver in this buy are also relatively plentiful in HG. I believe you essentially paid retail for these books.

Here is the way I look at and how my mind works. I would rather buy a bunch of minor key or common HG SA and early BA omics and risk making a mistake on a few of them than buy 1 or 2 big Keys and find out one or both have defects or were restored.

I meant a slabbed copy, taking all the guesswork out of the equation except the price and future prospects of the book in that grade.

I too sometimes prefer a slew of smaller books for my money, but keys always have greater demand working on their side when you want to unload

Its not so much how much you paid, but what you bought.

I am a Marvel collector and buy what SA and BA I can get my hands on that are HG. The reason I bought the comics I bought off this dealer is that those were the highest grade titles and issues that he had available.

What is the purpose of this buy? Is it to flip and make a profit? Is it to go into your personal collection?

I bought the Marvels to put in my personal collection and the DCs to possibly flip.

For $8K you should have been able to get the price down further on these books. There's nothing in here that is a major (or minor) key outside of the FF 25, WWBN 32, Spidey 129 and the Fury 13, and unless you're going to get 9.6s, there's nothing that will sell for a significant multiple of Guide.

What do you think I should have paid for them and what do you think they are worth if the average condidion is 9.2-9.4 with a few in lesser condition and a couple that are possible 9.6s?

If you're looking for investment appreciation, these are not the books to purchase. A sizeable majority of them (most, if not all of the Bronze Age books) are plentiful in HG, and the Silver in this buy are also relatively plentiful in HG.

I believe any HG Silver or early BA Marvel Super-Hero comis are good for investment (not counting reprint issues like X-men #67-93, Marvel Tales etc..). Although the may very well be plentiful in HG, the fact is I can't find them in HG and if I do I definitely don't get them at a discount, but instead have to pay multiples of guide. Like I said before, I need names of dealers where I can get better deals because I am definitely looking for better deals. yay.gif

Its not a deal I would have done either,but if he is happy,so be it.If the purpose of this thread was to find out if you got a good deal,You are getting the opinions you wanted.

At the national,when will you try to make this large purchase? The first day or the last day?Either are good,for very different reasons.

Its not a deal I would have done either,but if he is happy,so be it.If the purpose of this thread was to find out if you got a good deal,You are getting the opinions you wanted.

At the national,when will you try to make this large purchase? The first day or the last day?Either are good,for very different reasons.

I love the input I am getting. Very informative and it makes me think. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif Here is the way I see things. I like the idea that I can get a much better deal than the one I got. thumbsup2.gif Believe me if there are dealers who will give me better deals ( or people who know dealers that will) than the one I made please step forward and let me know what you have to offer and if you will be at the NYC national. takeit.gif I am basically interested in HG SA and early Bronze Marvels with major and minor keys as well as common stuff (its all collectible to me except the reprints). headbang.gif I got to cherry pick the best stuff this dealer had to offer in his boxes as well as HG books he had on his display wall. I saw what this dealer paid to a guy who sold him a stack of comics while I was at his table (the best of which I ended taking home with me) so I know this dealer isn't looking to gouge me, but wants to make a reasonable profit for himself. I am sure the same dealer will be back in November and I will give him more of my money unless someone else comes forward with a more inticing deal. cloud9.gif

Oh and I plan on going both days to the convention. Early the first day and late the second to get the stuff dealers don't want to lug home with them and that they will hopefully sell for cheap. yay.gif

Believe me if there are dealers who will give me better deals ( or people who know dealers that will) than the one I made please step forward and let me know what you have to offer and if you will be at the NYC national. takeit.gif I am basically interested in HG SA and early Bronze Marvels with major and minor keys as well as common stuff (its all collectible to me except the reprints). headbang.gif I got to cherry pick the best stuff this dealer had to offer in his boxes as well as HG books he had on his display wall. I saw what this dealer paid to a guy who sold him a stack of comics while I was at his table (the best of which I ended taking home with me) so I know this dealer isn't looking to gouge me, but wants to make a reasonable profit for himself. I am sure the same dealer will be back in November and I will give him more of my money unless someone else comes forward with a more inticing deal. cloud9.gif

Oh and I plan on going both days to the convention. Early the first day and late the second to get the stuff dealers don't want to lug home with them and that they will hopefully sell for cheap. yay.gif

Put up a want list (title, issue number, and desired grade) in the Marketplace thread and I'm sure you'll get some responses.