• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The umpire is calling strikes..................

5,775 posts in this topic

Chucked. Ignored. It's a rocky road when a few on here feel that they set the standards what acceptable behavior is for the group.

Actually, that is exactly what society in general and a "community" does. Speaking out against scammers, rude sellers, guys with shady morals, sociopaths or those that cross way over the line and defend it by saying they were "joking" and showing no remorse (and their buddies that defend them) is not setting the standard for the group no matter how cool their books are.

'Cool books' has been a small group's rallying cry for a little while now. But it seems to be the same people trying to use that to stir the pot versus trying to better the forum.

But that's okay. They'll either get over it - or they won't. There are better things to focus on.

;)

No, actually it is not a small group and it isn't any attempt to stir the pot and of course you know that but thanks for confirming for me which side you call on. lol

And yeah there are many better things to focus on but I like to know who I am dealing with on these boards and after murder memeapolooza, I am firmly in Transplant's camp of never putting any more personal info out there.

One of these days you will learn to ignore him. (thumbs u

When I pretty much first got to the eBay chatboards, someone posted a picture of a teapot on the board.

Everyone was laughing. I figured it was a nice teapot...but couldn't figure out what they were laughing about...or why they were posting a teapot in the comics section.

Until I saw the reflection;)

I've been very careful when taking pictures of shiny objects ever since;)

Ebay has chat boards? Learn something new everyday.

When I pretty much first got to the eBay chatboards, someone posted a picture of a teapot on the board.

Everyone was laughing. I figured it was a nice teapot...but couldn't figure out what they were laughing about...or why they were posting a teapot in the comics section.

Until I saw the reflection;)

I've been very careful when taking pictures of shiny objects ever since;)

Ebay has chat boards? Learn something new everyday.

Yeah, and they are filled to the brim with people who can't spell or type.

That approach would go a long way towards making the boards a better place. Trolls and troublemakers want the attention. Ignore them and deny them an audience.

However, that's not the way it works on message boards ;)

If this forum started chucking people for being troublemakers (whatever that definition is), at least half this place would be gone. But I guess that comes down to who is defining 'troublemaker', right?

:baiting:

What Jeffro was responding to was shunning, not chucking. Banning people is not the answer, and never is. Shunning simply means ignoring them, and having nothing to do with them, until they improve their behavior.

Chucked. Ignored. It's a rocky road when a few on here feel that they set the standards what acceptable behavior is for the group.

That's correct. The only people here who can set the standards for what is acceptable behavior is the moderation team. Unfortunately, this team doesn't keep the standards they set, and makes up new ones as they go along.

Thankfully, I don't see anyone else trying to set those standards.

And yeah there are many better things to focus on but I like to know who I am dealing with on these boards and after murder memeapolooza, I am firmly in Transplant's camp of never putting any more personal info out there.

Pffft.

Puhleaze.

I was harping on the no personal info bandwagon in the 20th century.

:acclaim:

You probably think my name is really RMA.

I used to be a moderator for the Ebay chat boards. I quit being a mod and quit visiting those chat forums a few years ago. When I found these boards.

But the trouble makers here are pretty much the same troublemakers that were there on Ebay.

It is a small world. Especially the comic book collecting world.

I used to be a moderator for the Ebay chat boards. I quit being a mod and quit visiting those chat forums a few years ago. When I found these boards.

But the trouble makers here are pretty much the same troublemakers that were there on Ebay.

It is a small world. Especially the comic book collecting world.

Good to know I'm not missing anything. lol

Sounds just like here. (shrug)

There was a time....long since passed into the mists....when the eBay comics chatboard was all sparkly and new.

TimDrake72 was there.

So was Stupidman.

And Comicsgirl showed up.

And then there was Dubbl-T.

Gwentleaf made his way there.

And the Rabid Badger...

Before the CGC boards. Before CBR boards. Before CPG boards, Before STL. Before Valiantfans.

And.

It.

Was.

Magic.

:cloud9:

Sounds like a Dr Who kinda thing. Is there only one in this timeline? This internet?

hm

I was in AZ a couple weeks ago, and one of the local community colleges had one of those flashing neon change-y type signs that have messages. This was the current one:

"knock knock"

(screen changes)

"who's there?"

(screen changes)

"Yes!"

(screen changes)

"Dr. Who!"

(screen changes)

"Join Mesa Community College for a celebration of Dr. Who blah blah blah blah."

I had to endure that stupid sign for 3 weeks.

Seems like a lot of these guys are fans of posting the first thing that pops into their heads without any consideration. Yeah, sure, freedom of speech or whatever, but that doesn't alleviate any responsibility to maintain some decorum or propriety. I can't believe anyone would honestly think solarcadet1's comment was acceptable in this forum, or really in any public discourse, but despite having to formulate the thought, type it into the text box, then click "submit" his mental filter never kicked in.

But hey, I heard he's got cool books.

I think they are all foreign editions, thus, " Cüel Bööks "

lol

lol

lol :think:

Seems like a lot of these guys are fans of posting the first thing that pops into their heads without any consideration. Yeah, sure, freedom of speech or whatever, but that doesn't alleviate any responsibility to maintain some decorum or propriety. I can't believe anyone would honestly think solarcadet1's comment was acceptable in this forum, or really in any public discourse, but despite having to formulate the thought, type it into the text box, then click "submit" his mental filter never kicked in.

But hey, I heard he's got cool books.

I think they are all foreign editions, thus, " Cüel Bööks "

lol

lol

lol :think:

k4iy.gif

Actually, that is exactly what society in general and a "community" does. Speaking out against scammers, rude sellers, guys with shady morals, sociopaths or those that cross way over the line and defend it by saying they were "joking" and showing no remorse (and their buddies that defend them) is not setting the standard for the group no matter how cool their books are.

'Cool books' has been a small group's rallying cry for a little while now. But it seems to be the same people trying to use that to stir the pot versus trying to better the forum.

But that's okay. They'll either get over it - or they won't. There are better things to focus on.

;)

What's worse, the "cool books" rallying cry or the willful ignoring of reprehensible behavior because of the promise of said cool books? Amazing isn't how a person's past transgressions are magically forgotten because they pimp sweet comics to people. The "cool books" meme wouldn't exist if not for a few problem children. Let's put the blame where it belongs.