• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The umpire is calling strikes..................

5,775 posts in this topic

Cool Books is a tale as old as time itself. It's no less true today and here than it has been in the past.

+1

I recall people dealing with a friend of mine in comics way back in the pre-internet days - his repuation was horrible, and everyone had a different story about how this guy scammed this or that. And they would still deal with him. Regularly. Because he had cool books.

Kav hasn't posted in two days. Something must be up.

It's been more than 2 days since kav last posted. A wrist slap is 2 days, right? Nothing in the strike records.

Actually, I'm a little worried about the guy.

I think it's three days. He posted on 06/24 so he should be back today.

Anyone know calmerica's real name? Is it Jack Remington?

Sure is.

Ok, just wondering. lol

You've been on Facebook, haven't you?

I so wanted to post something.

I've often wondered if it is indeed his real name. Not only does it sound like a made up name, but it sounds like a made up name that HE would come up with.

It's been more than 2 days since kav last posted. A wrist slap is 2 days, right? Nothing in the strike records.

It has been quiet.

Chucked. Ignored. It's a rocky road when a few on here feel that they set the standards what acceptable behavior is for the group.

Actually, that is exactly what society in general and a "community" does. Speaking out against scammers, rude sellers, guys with shady morals, sociopaths or those that cross way over the line and defend it by saying they were "joking" and showing no remorse (and their buddies that defend them) is not setting the standard for the group no matter how cool their books are.

'Cool books' has been a small group's rallying cry for a little while now. But it seems to be the same people trying to use that to stir the pot versus trying to better the forum.

But that's okay. They'll either get over it - or they won't. There are better things to focus on.

;)

What's worse, the "cool books" rallying cry or the willful ignoring of reprehensible behavior because of the promise of said cool books? Amazing isn't how a person's past transgressions are magically forgotten because they pimp sweet comics to people. The "cool books" meme wouldn't exist if not for a few problem children. Let's put the blame where it belongs.

Jeff, no matter what, you know I respect what you have to say.

But come on. There are people blending in situations where someone is a crook or potential threat to buyers and sellers with their personal vendetta candidates. When the lines get blurred like that, all you get is a powder keg of trouble.

It's one of those situations of while the heat is on, let's throw some more names on the list for good measure. Even someone throwing out 'we know what side you are on' - like there is clear black and white in these situations - is just another attempt at stirring up trouble.

Meanwhile, I'd rather have more discussions about comics, comic TV shows and movies, and the periodic zaniness in the Water Cooler.

Personal vendetta and blurred lines? Stirring trouble? :facepalm:

The guy made many, many hideous memes that should have gotten him banned permanently. You defended him and helped him with his insane conspiracy theories and not once has he showed any remorse or made an attempt at an apology. Deflect and blame others was all that was done.

And what happened when he got back? Sales thread!!! No remorse. No apology but all kinds of people, including quite a few that spoke out against him, buying books and celebrating his return which would be fine if there was any attempt, publicly or not, at making amends.

What conclusion is to be drawn here, other than one hell of a PM PR campaign?

Cool books.

And the issue is not the sellers as they are so obvious to be easily avoided but it is the buyers,and enablers, that brush aside all morally repugnant acts in the pursuit of effing comic books and fully enable these people to excuse their own pathetic behavior. :facepalm:

Spin and dismiss and have fun.

I think the conclusion is that moderation was done, you don't agree with it, and you're unwilling to get over it, along with your tight circle of friends. So, you like to fly around in a flock, swoop in and disrupt threads, and cast aspersions on folks' moral character, just because they don't agree with you. Cool books!

I mean seriously guys - the cool books stuff is ridiculous. The guy just does not have the type of inventory that supports your ridiculous hypothesis. People buy from him because they don't care what you think, and don't agree with your conclusions. Get over it. Cool books!

Exactly!

Park can try all he wants to say I defended the images his crew went off-boards to dig up on an open Photobucket account which they then proceeded to post on here. The memes were definitely . What I took issue with was the approach of bringing this up while disregarding all the historic back-and-forth nastiness leading up to the situation as if none of that behavior mattered. All that mattered was that Rupp fell back on his crazy humor to continue taking on the attacks, publicly and privately.

Rather than moving on, and just taking the approach of not dealing with one another or responding to people they do not care for, it is a constant nitpick of the same BS over and over. And that is the same approach and behavior leading up to the entire blowup.

Get over it.

You guys keep saying get over it. How does that happen when there is no remorse, no admission of guilt, and no apology? Please answer that for me.

Yes, I know that some will never get over it regardless if an apology is offered, but the gesture will be appreciated by a great many people. It's that effort that shows character on the part of the person who committed the wrong.

By the way, this issue goes beyond one person and one hobby. The unfortunate desire to acquire the things we want leads some to deal with all sorts of questionable people.

I agree that 5-6 boardies will never get over it, regardless of apology, and they are the same 5-6 boardies that currently keep bringing the issues up. Moderation has occurred, and the 5-6 of you don't agree with the results - so you travel in a flock, sowing disruption in a gang, in an attempt to moderate things yourself - I get it.

People don't agree with you, and will continue to buy from people you don't like - I'm guessing at least some will do this to be in your face. Your perpetual threadcarpping and negativity are insulting to many, and not a positive influence on the board. Get over it, and move on.

I have to somewhat agree with this statement - and I like the people on both sides so :eek::shy:

But what's done is done. The mods handed down what they thought was the appropriate punishment and as much as people complain about the mods - they have the final say so (shrug) . Even IF an apology was offered up, no one's opinion is going to change on either side. Some people just don't like others. So why not just let it go and ignore. People have their ignore lists and they just go about their business here as if the other person doesn't exist. I'm NOT defending the behavior and several of the memes were in very poor taste. But there is ZERO point to keep bringing it up. Nothing is going to change and it just becomes the same circular argument ad nauseum. 2c

It has been quiet.

You haven't been in the right places.

:eyeroll:

Cool Books is a tale as old as time itself. It's no less true today and here than it has been in the past.

I agree, it doesnt have to be collectibles hobbies. Money talks, period. Whether its a seller's inventory or a buyer's wallet. Really at the end of the day, why would anyone expect any differently.

You could say CGC wait times are an example of this. Everyone complains, but they deal with it anyway. If a seller is a bad person, but the only one with a book you need, I wouldn't NOT complete a collection just on principle/spite. I would jsut say, well, he has me over a barrel, guess I'll have to take it on the chin this time.

Sure is.

Ok, just wondering. lol

Chicken.

I know. I didn't want to start that on Steve's page.

Sure is.

Ok, just wondering. lol

Chicken.

Learn to be creative.

:gossip:

Sure is.

Ok, just wondering. lol

Chicken.

Learn to be creative.

Something like "For only $700/yr you too can become a Charter Member".

That's off the top of my head. Need more time to come up with something better.

Chucked. Ignored. It's a rocky road when a few on here feel that they set the standards what acceptable behavior is for the group.

Actually, that is exactly what society in general and a "community" does. Speaking out against scammers, rude sellers, guys with shady morals, sociopaths or those that cross way over the line and defend it by saying they were "joking" and showing no remorse (and their buddies that defend them) is not setting the standard for the group no matter how cool their books are.

'Cool books' has been a small group's rallying cry for a little while now. But it seems to be the same people trying to use that to stir the pot versus trying to better the forum.

But that's okay. They'll either get over it - or they won't. There are better things to focus on.

;)

What's worse, the "cool books" rallying cry or the willful ignoring of reprehensible behavior because of the promise of said cool books? Amazing isn't how a person's past transgressions are magically forgotten because they pimp sweet comics to people. The "cool books" meme wouldn't exist if not for a few problem children. Let's put the blame where it belongs.

Jeff, no matter what, you know I respect what you have to say.

But come on. There are people blending in situations where someone is a crook or potential threat to buyers and sellers with their personal vendetta candidates. When the lines get blurred like that, all you get is a powder keg of trouble.

It's one of those situations of while the heat is on, let's throw some more names on the list for good measure. Even someone throwing out 'we know what side you are on' - like there is clear black and white in these situations - is just another attempt at stirring up trouble.

Meanwhile, I'd rather have more discussions about comics, comic TV shows and movies, and the periodic zaniness in the Water Cooler.

Personal vendetta and blurred lines? Stirring trouble? :facepalm:

The guy made many, many hideous memes that should have gotten him banned permanently. You defended him and helped him with his insane conspiracy theories and not once has he showed any remorse or made an attempt at an apology. Deflect and blame others was all that was done.

And what happened when he got back? Sales thread!!! No remorse. No apology but all kinds of people, including quite a few that spoke out against him, buying books and celebrating his return which would be fine if there was any attempt, publicly or not, at making amends.

What conclusion is to be drawn here, other than one hell of a PM PR campaign?

Cool books.

And the issue is not the sellers as they are so obvious to be easily avoided but it is the buyers,and enablers, that brush aside all morally repugnant acts in the pursuit of effing comic books and fully enable these people to excuse their own pathetic behavior. :facepalm:

Spin and dismiss and have fun.

I think the conclusion is that moderation was done, you don't agree with it, and you're unwilling to get over it, along with your tight circle of friends. So, you like to fly around in a flock, swoop in and disrupt threads, and cast aspersions on folks' moral character, just because they don't agree with you. Cool books!

I mean seriously guys - the cool books stuff is ridiculous. The guy just does not have the type of inventory that supports your ridiculous hypothesis. People buy from him because they don't care what you think, and don't agree with your conclusions. Get over it. Cool books!

Exactly!

Park can try all he wants to say I defended the images his crew went off-boards to dig up on an open Photobucket account which they then proceeded to post on here. The memes were definitely . What I took issue with was the approach of bringing this up while disregarding all the historic back-and-forth nastiness leading up to the situation as if none of that behavior mattered. All that mattered was that Rupp fell back on his crazy humor to continue taking on the attacks, publicly and privately.

Rather than moving on, and just taking the approach of not dealing with one another or responding to people they do not care for, it is a constant nitpick of the same BS over and over. And that is the same approach and behavior leading up to the entire blowup.

Get over it.

You guys keep saying get over it. How does that happen when there is no remorse, no admission of guilt, and no apology? Please answer that for me.

Yes, I know that some will never get over it regardless if an apology is offered, but the gesture will be appreciated by a great many people. It's that effort that shows character on the part of the person who committed the wrong.

By the way, this issue goes beyond one person and one hobby. The unfortunate desire to acquire the things we want leads some to deal with all sorts of questionable people.

I agree that 5-6 boardies will never get over it, regardless of apology, and they are the same 5-6 boardies that currently keep bringing the issues up. Moderation has occurred, and the 5-6 of you don't agree with the results - so you travel in a flock, sowing disruption in a gang, in an attempt to moderate things yourself - I get it.

People don't agree with you, and will continue to buy from people you don't like - I'm guessing at least some will do this to be in your face. Your perpetual threadcarpping and negativity are insulting to many, and not a positive influence on the board. Get over it, and move on.

I have to somewhat agree with this statement - and I like the people on both sides so :eek::shy:

But what's done is done. The mods handed down what they thought was the appropriate punishment and as much as people complain about the mods - they have the final say so (shrug) . Even IF an apology was offered up, no one's opinion is going to change on either side. Some people just don't like others. So why not just let it go and ignore. People have their ignore lists and they just go about their business here as if the other person doesn't exist. I'm NOT defending the behavior and several of the memes were in very poor taste. But there is ZERO point to keep bringing it up. Nothing is going to change and it just becomes the same circular argument ad nauseum. 2c

I agree with a lot of what you say. But personally I feel that some things should not be forgotten or let go of. I like to know what people are about and what they stand for. Sweeping bad things under the rug is never a good thing IMHO.

Sure is.

Ok, just wondering. lol

Chicken.

Learn to be creative.

I hope you have other talents.

Sure is.

Ok, just wondering. lol

Chicken.

Learn to be creative.

I hope you have other talents.

Sadly...I do not. :cry:

this is an interesting debate, but funny how the root of it ultimately comes down to the mods. This board has by far the worst moderation of any forum I have ever seen/been on. One of the reasons I lurked for nearly a decade before finally giving in and posting.

PGX may be "run out of a garage", but 80% of what CGC does is "out of a garage" level professionalism too. Including how these boards are run, and the so called "mods", which are really just long term members hiding behind generic mod accounts with 0 accountability and all the nepotism you can handle...

I would agree with you that the moderation here is a bit whacky. However, it isn't the worst I've seen. It all depends on how you want the boards to be run. I've spent time on boards where any and every off topic post is removed instantly. The mods are active participants of discussions and hold vendettas.

Here it is sort of self policing and sometimes it works out nicely. I'd rather the mods not be in your face like other places. I think they need some consistency and some people might not to go, but they do in time.

I wouldn't call moderation here "The worst" and I like the hands off approach sometimes. It gives us some freedom in what we discuss.

I agree with a lot of what you say. But personally I feel that some things should not be forgotten or let go of. I like to know what people are about and what they stand for. Sweeping bad things under the rug is never a good thing IMHO.

There is also truth to what you say...however, accepting ones own bigotry would go along way as well.

Sure is.

Ok, just wondering. lol

Chicken.

Learn to be creative.

I wanted to post something as well...just decided to be nice instead. That would be a terrible thing if it happened. lol

There is also truth to what you say...however, accepting ones own bigotry would go along way as well.

Cool books :cloud9:

Cool books :cloud9:

spadeisspade1.jpg