• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The umpire is calling strikes..................

5,775 posts in this topic

While not talked about like the FS threads, this is one that I was on the fence about:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=7355650#Post7355650

:whatthe: Good lord, what a tool this fella can be!

Really? I thought that was pretty benign and it sounds like he ended up selling the guy a book…

It sure is curious how some people can get away with the same mess and no one bats an eye…

I'm talking about this post: http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=7356629#Post7356629

I'd be right pissed if someone jumped into my WTB thread offering more than I was. That's just not friendly.

Yea I figured you were. I think Brock was sort of pointing out that 9.6s were going for a lot more than this guy was offering to pay.

Heck my wife bought me a raw copy that graded out to a 9.4 about 5 years ago. I think she paid 150-200 for it if not more. Saying he wanted a 9.6 for $250 was a little foolish.

If you keep reading the discussion, Brock explained himself and offered books.

Yeah, I'm sure he did. That's who he is…it's the BSD syndrome.

I might be being dense, but what is BSD?

Man, this is like the third time in as many days I've been asked that. I always assume that once I learn something, everyone knows it.

BSD = Big Swingin' :)

is that what the "D" in Speedy-D stands for?

lol - just kidding

While not talked about like the FS threads, this is one that I was on the fence about:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=7355650#Post7355650

Really? I thought that was pretty benign and it sounds like he ended up selling the guy a book…

It sure is curious how some people can get away with the same mess and no one bats an eye…

I'm talking about this post: http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=7356629#Post7356629

I'd be right pissed if someone jumped into my WTB thread offering more than I was. That's just not friendly.

Yea I figured you were. I think Brock was sort of pointing out that 9.6s were going for a lot more than this guy was offering to pay.

Heck my wife bought me a raw copy that graded out to a 9.4 about 5 years ago. I think she paid 150-200 for it if not more. Saying he wanted a 9.6 for $250 was a little foolish.

Man, this is like the third time in as many days I've been asked that. I always assume that once I learn something, everyone knows it.

lol - just kidding

That's it, I'm putting you on Cal's list. :sumo:

Wait, what happened to Cal anyway?

ssshhhhhhhh! Don't say his name.

Especially three times in a row while standing in front of a mirror in the dark. :eek:

lol - just kidding

What's Cal's list? Is this thread becoming the "ask dumb question" thread?

Sometimes I do not think it is a consistency issue. I believe it all has to do with the button hump. If no one is offended by the post then there is no reason for a mod to conduct an investigation into the matter. If someone is offended or claim that a post is in violation of the rules, they hump the button and the mod renders a decision.

I am sure though that once someone is off strike that the mods check in from time to time to see if a lesson was learned and look to see if their is any overt behavior offensive to guidelines.

No, it's definitely inconsistency. This moderation team makes many decisions based on how they feel about the poster(s) involved, rather than adhering to a standard set of rules that is just and treats everyone impartially.

How else do you explain the fact that one member can call another member a "first class buffoon" and a "mess-stick", have the post be reported (many weeks ago), and yet not removed? Whomever it was on the moderation team decided that was an acceptable post, and so it remains to this day, despite being about as clear and blatant a violation of the board's "rules" as anything.

lol

Is RMA referring to you? That sounds like your lingo. I am going to try and work in "mess-stick" into a sentence today. lol

No it was F_T. I instantly knew the quote. I just find it funny because RockMyAmadeus has posted frequently that no one should ever let another person's words affect them. :ohnoez:

That's quite correct. No one should let another person's insults bother them. "Sticks and stones" and all that.

And a member insulting another member in that manner is against the board's stated rules, and has no place here.

I suppose you imagine those two concepts are mutually exclusive. They are not.

Go play in traffic.

lol - just kidding

What's Cal's list? Is this thread becoming the "ask dumb question" thread?

I threw that out just to noob ya! :baiting:

Do you know Calamerica, or are you too new to have experienced what he has to offer?

First reference I ever saw to it was years ago in Michael Lewis's book "Liar's Poker," so I assume it was originally a Wall Street expression.

I recently reread Lewis's book and although it's now a bit dated, it's still a great read.

CAL is like Gandalf. He comes and he goes, he's off on an adventure and will be back at the exact moment when we need him to yell at people and wave his arms around.

I've yet to see a strike where the poster was innocent.

You have the members who genuinely believe that they did not deserve their strikes; that's because they lack the ability to see themselves. These members are usually characterized by their criticism of the system being unfair and unjust and never admitting wrongdoing. They believe that because others do similar things, their actions are acceptable and shouldn't be punished.

:gossip: Stop being a martyr and realize there is a reason that the mods don't like certain members. You think it's because you wear funny clothes, or you have a tangy yeast smell? While clearly perfectly acceptable reasons, it's most likely because you are a bigger d bag than most and make their job more difficult.

Yeah I know you Cal is, he actually purchased some books from me when I first joined. Just didn't know what his "list" was.

I guess it can't be good. GULP!

It is just some list of people he will and will not sell too. He brings it up and tells people they are on the list, but we've never officially seen the list. It is a mystery.

The hope was it would be revealed at the momentous occasion of his 10,000 posts. Instead he bait and switched us into reading a list of his favorite boardies. It was a huge let down.

Sometimes I do not think it is a consistency issue. I believe it all has to do with the button hump. If no one is offended by the post then there is no reason for a mod to conduct an investigation into the matter. If someone is offended or claim that a post is in violation of the rules, they hump the button and the mod renders a decision.

I am sure though that once someone is off strike that the mods check in from time to time to see if a lesson was learned and look to see if their is any overt behavior offensive to guidelines.

No, it's definitely inconsistency. This moderation team makes many decisions based on how they feel about the poster(s) involved, rather than adhering to a standard set of rules that is just and treats everyone impartially.

How else do you explain the fact that one member can call another member a "first class buffoon" and a "mess-stick", have the post be reported (many weeks ago), and yet not removed? Whomever it was on the moderation team decided that was an acceptable post, and so it remains to this day, despite being about as clear and blatant a violation of the board's "rules" as anything.

lol

Is RMA referring to you? That sounds like your lingo. I am going to try and work in "mess-stick" into a sentence today. lol

No it was F_T. I instantly knew the quote. I just find it funny because RockMyAmadeus has posted frequently that no one should ever let another person's words affect them. :ohnoez:

That's quite correct. No one should let another person's insults bother them. "Sticks and stones" and all that.

And a member insulting another member in that manner is against the board's stated rules, and has no place here.

I suppose you imagine those two concepts are mutually exclusive. They are not.

Go play in traffic.

I'm sorry you were hurt by my decisions.