• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ultimate Golden Records Reprint Set- All 9.4 ow/w with records

32 posts in this topic

I listened to all four records recently. An amazing time capsule. The voices are great and they are very dramatic renderings of the books. The sound effects are great too. If there's an UGH it's pronounced UGH. Every word, every caption is read. A couple of gaffs make them priceless. In the Avengers record, Sub-Mariner is called Sub-mahreener throughout the record and Namor is Namer. It's a steal at $2200 for the whole set.

Kinda late to the party here, but some tips for the new owner from someone who worked in a collectible records store:

Unless factory sealed, DO NOT store records in their cardboard sleeves. Even if they are just sitting on a shelf, over time they will develop ring wear, which is the circular outdentation (as opposed to indentation) the record makes on the sleeve by pushing outward from inside the sleeve.

Also, while original shrink wrap seems cool, if it's been opened it can warp records over time. If there are any significant stickers on the wrap I would save them inside the now-empty record sleeve.

Caveat: I know the way people handle their collectibles can change over time (like how it wasn't that big a sin to color touch), so my advice may no longer be the norm, but this is how we handled collectible records back in the '80s.

I listened to all four records recently. An amazing time capsule. The voices are great and they are very dramatic renderings of the books. The sound effects are great too. If there's an UGH it's pronounced UGH. Every word, every caption is read. A couple of gaffs make them priceless. In the Avengers record, Sub-Mariner is called Sub-mahreener throughout the record and Namor is Namer. It's a steal at $2200 for the whole set.

I still call him the Sub-Mareener! Could you could possibly MP3s of the records for the boardies?

Kinda late to the party here, but some tips for the new owner from someone who worked in a collectible records store:

Unless factory sealed, DO NOT store records in their cardboard sleeves. Even if they are just sitting on a shelf, over time they will develop ring wear, which is the circular outdentation (as opposed to indentation) the record makes on the sleeve by pushing outward from inside the sleeve.

Good advice. They make blank cardboard record sleeves. Take the records out of the original sleeve and store them separately in a blank sleeve.l They also make mylar to fit the record sleeves that you could use use on the originals.

139874.jpg

my evil plot to have these records are foiled again!

is

plots

I think he did when he saw the books had sold.

Also, while original shrink wrap seems cool, if it's been opened it can warp records over time. If there are any significant stickers on the wrap I would save them inside the now-empty record sleeve.

Caveat: I know the way people handle their collectibles can change over time (like how it wasn't that big a sin to color touch), so my advice may no longer be the norm, but this is how we handled collectible records back in the '80s.

Thks for the advice, (thumbs u