• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My Prize Hardcover

19 posts in this topic

Omnibus was not in my vocabulary, until I discovered this prize.

There have been some journals as of late that has reminded me of my prize hardcover. My prize? A collection containing over 800 pages and a price of $99.99, a collection called Uncanny X-Men Omnibus, Volume 1. Reprinting Giant Size X-Men #1, X-Men 94-131 and X-Men Annual 3, this book is special! The art is amazing, the introductions entertaining and the stories - timeless!

This book was released in 2006, I did not catch on until the following year, after Amazon and other online outlets stopped carrying it. I learned of the Masterworks series that collected the same material as the omnibus. I found volumes 1, 2 and 4 in hardback but I found out that 3 was no longer in print. I tried for volume 3 on eBay but the auctions I found would realize over $100. I found out through a comic store owner that most of these hardbacks were printed based on the amount of pre-orders Marvel received and once they were gone that was it. I did manage to find talesofwonder.com, a site specializing in hardcovers and other goodies. Uncanny X-Men Omnibus was still available but the price was $125. I thought about this for several days, I really wanted this book but I had three books already with the same stories reprinted. I thought that maybe I could wait for a decent used copy of the Masterworks edition I needed, but the price would have been almost the same as the omnibus -- these were the aftermarket prices in the summer of 2007. After debating on this large purchase I decided to go for it, after all, it was out of print, still new in the shrink-wrap, limited quantity, and it was only $25 more than original price.

In the six years that I have had this edition I have only read it all the way through twice. It does not have to necessarily become a major event for me to read this but I do prefer to wait for the right time, to keep it special. Doing this allows me to keep a sort of freshness to a classic and well known run in comics. My first X-Men collection was the Dark Phoenix Saga paperback; I picked this up three years before I found the Masterworks and the omnibus. I also have Days of Future Past, so I can read the run all together when I'm ready.

Several months after I got my omnibus, Marvel released a second print. I could not believe this when I checked Amazon one day to find that a book I paid $125 for was back in print and selling for $60. The second print eventually ran out and prices went back up. Shortly after buying Uncanny X-Men Omnibus, I was able to sell my Masterworks volumes online for a decent price since they were out of print, this also helped to make up for the nice chunk of change I put into my omnibus. I'm not sure what aftermarket prices are now for this omnibus, I also believe the Masterworks are back and available in paperback. The difference in price no longer matters now, what matters is that I have a nice book with quality material, a keepsake to cherish for years to come.

The omnibus does reprint the original letter pages for each issue, when I first got the book I did not think I would care about this extra; I also thought the letter pages were distracting as they were just scanned off-white pages straight out of the old comics; they looked funny in between pages of restored color. Reading the first letter column changed my mind, to be able to read people's reactions at the time, not romanticized accounts several years after the fact but actual responses and questions from people who were reading the material when it was new is priceless, you really come to appreciate even more the impact these stories have on people.

One final thought, one very memorable moment from this book/run comes from a Magneto cameo in X-Men #125. Magneto is recovering on Asteroid M, where he comes across a picture of his late wife, Magda on his computer. Magneto is surprised at first, thinking to himself how he'd almost forgotten how beautiful she was. Reminding him of a time when he thought he was only human, he deletes the picture. It's little moments like these that help make this run shine.

14091.jpg

See more journals by Brandon Shepherd

It's finally getting a 3rd printing after being OOP for years.

Coming out in Spetember.

Marvel has stated that they will be changing their position on the Print status for some titles they feel should be "evergreen"

So far the evergreen titles that were OOP and have been re-solicited in the last 4 months or so

ASM (v1)

FF (v1-2)

Miller's Daredevil (v1)

Uncanny X-men (v1)

I know the Ironman (v1) and Thor (v1) Omnibuses are also OOP, but there's been no announcement about return to print on those.

Now will they keep those volumes in print, or resolicit them annually? Who knows, but they are back so if anyone missed the boat the first (or second) time, grab them now.

I would love to see a Volume 2, I remember a demand for this online years ago but many gave up on this. I'm still not familiar with X books after Issue #143. There is also a part of me that would love to have the Marvel Omnibus library but there is only so much time, money and space...

@Surfer99: Thanks!

@Miraclemet: Good to hear that Marvel is bringing some good stuff back into print.

That is one beautiful collection you are putting together.

Claremont and Byrne's run is in my mind the true Golden Age of the X-Men.

I wish I had those 9.8 you have.

I may have to buy myself an omnibus as well.

Congrats and thanks for sharing.

SW3D

That is one beautiful collection you are putting together.

Claremont and Byrne's run is in my mind the true Golden Age of the X-Men.

I wish I had those 9.8 you have.

I may have to buy myself an omnibus as well.

Congrats and thanks for sharing.

SW3D

Do it! Get the omnibus! Thanks for the kind words.

I would love to see a Volume 2, I remember a demand for this online years ago but many gave up on this. I'm still not familiar with X books after Issue #143. There is also a part of me that would love to have the Marvel Omnibus library but there is only so much time, money and space...

@Surfer99: Thanks!

@Miraclemet: Good to hear that Marvel is bringing some good stuff back into print.

So, I saw this on Amazon the other day...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0785185720/ref=s9_psimh_gw_p14_d9_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=12A3ZM3VSGHPN2A09G86&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1630083502&pf_rd_i=507846

Volume 2 will arrive in April, 2014!

:whee:

Hey, don't overlook the Classic X-Men reprint series! This was a great series that began with GS X-Men 1 and reprinted the all-new, all-different X-Men up through 206, with a few exceptions. Additionally, these books had sweet new cover art by Art Adams, Steve Lightle, and Mike Mignola and the first 44 issues have new backup stories that typically focused on one character's behind-the-scenes development. For example, the Classic X-Men that reprints X-Men 129 (1st Kitty, 1st Emma) has a backup story about what's going on in Kitty's mind under Emma's psychic attack, if I remember correctly. A good run of reader copies is usually super cheap on eBay.

Classic X-Men entry on Wikipedia

Hey, don't overlook the Classic X-Men reprint series! This was a great series that began with GS X-Men 1 and reprinted the all-new, all-different X-Men up through 206, with a few exceptions. Additionally, these books had sweet new cover art by Art Adams, Steve Lightle, and Mike Mignola and the first 44 issues have new backup stories that typically focused on one character's behind-the-scenes development. For example, the Classic X-Men that reprints X-Men 129 (1st Kitty, 1st Emma) has a backup story about what's going on in Kitty's mind under Emma's psychic attack, if I remember correctly. A good run of reader copies is usually super cheap on eBay.

Classic X-Men entry on Wikipedia

I forgot about the Classic X-Men reprint series, and the backup stories included! I think I have seen a few used trades for these over the years at my LCS. Thanks for the link.

Congrats. IMHO this is one of the best runs in team superhero comics ever and redefined how team dynamics were handled in that era.

Thanks, Logan510! You're right this being one of the best runs, I re-reading my Omnibus right now. I'm up to were the team has just left the Savage Land, at this stage, the development of Storm and Wolverine are really starting to take off. I forgot all about Wolverine having the ability to communicate with Ka-Zar's saber tooth, Zabu, the rest of the team witness this and come to appreciate Logan, now that's character development.

I can't wait to read the portion of the run after issue #143, I see where Dave Cocrum came back for several issues, this will all be new to me.

I'm just blown away by how many potential plot threads they wove into every story back then. Wolverine sharing some kind of empathic link with Zabu? I don't remember them ever touching on that again.

Congrats. IMHO this is one of the best runs in team superhero comics ever and redefined how team dynamics were handled in that era.

Thanks, Logan510! You're right this being one of the best runs, I re-reading my Omnibus right now. I'm up to were the team has just left the Savage Land, at this stage, the development of Storm and Wolverine are really starting to take off. I forgot all about Wolverine having the ability to communicate with Ka-Zar's saber tooth, Zabu, the rest of the team witness this and come to appreciate Logan, now that's character development.

I can't wait to read the portion of the run after issue #143, I see where Dave Cocrum came back for several issues, this will all be new to me.

I'm interested to see what you thoughts are on X-MEN 144-160ish. It sounds like you've never read them...but I have to assume you know some of the things that happened during that period and how they changed / impacted the characters?

I'm interested to see what you thoughts are on X-MEN 144-160ish. It sounds like you've never read them...but I have to assume you know some of the things that happened during that period and how they changed / impacted the characters?

I read #150 years ago, I also read From the Ashes, I could be wrong on the title, the story of Rachel? Like I said, it's been awhile. But for the most part you are correct on your assumption, I do know a little bit about some of the major changes and the impacts they had on the characters. I can't wait to fill in the gaps and write back next April on my thoughts.