• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

In the running for having one of the worst mis-wraps?

76 posts in this topic

That's interesting. I just did a search on ebay and every copy is miscut, with a white strip at the top. Wonder why that happened?

Do you think I'm in the running for one of worst mis-wraps for a comic?

I've had this book for years but finally dug it out and remembered the terrible mis-wrap.

8WV8Us1.jpg

WnJicK3.jpg

Got something worse? Let's see it.

Actually, I may have another book worst than this...I'll try to find it.

This one is actually not too bad. As Matt Baker fans know too well, about half of St John romance books have miswraps that are much worse than this. A lot have miscuts, as well, leaving the book trapezoidal rather than rectangular.

It's also wrong that it's sitting in a 9.6 holder.

That's interesting. I just did a search on ebay and every copy is miscut, with a white strip at the top. Wonder why that happened?

Must have been a bad production day. I searched around too, I can't find any without some degree of shift. Also checked the census, and nothing above 9.6.

hm Might be fun to collect this book just because of the production problems - find the best centering, regardless of grade.

Capture_zpsa592facd.jpg

There was an old thread somewhere (I can't find it) where someone (possibly Roy?) talked to a grader about bad miswraps and miscuts in 9.6 or 9.8 holders. I believe the gist of it was that if it's a production issue, and no better copies exist, then CGC's position is it isn't penalized until 9.9 and above.

There was an old thread somewhere (I can't find it) where someone (possibly Roy?) talked to a grader about bad miswraps and miscuts in 9.6 or 9.8 holders. I believe the gist of it was that if it's a production issue, and no better copies exist, then CGC's position is it isn't penalized until 9.9 and above.

Link?

Because it doesn't affect the comic at all. There are no structural issues, the art isn't cut off (too badly, at least) so there really is no issue until you talk about the top two tiers of grading.

That 9.8 SS with a tape-pull, that is something to wonder about.

-slym

Link?

Thanks. That's not it but I think Roy may be referring to it.

I think the title of the thread was something like, "Why is this a 9.8?" or some permutation.

Link?

Thanks. That's not it but I think Roy may be referring to it.

I think the title of the thread was something like, "Why is this a 9.8?" or some permutation.

There have been a lot of discussions about what weight should be given, if any, to production-related defects. I see both sides of the argument and have probably argued both sides as well. It only really irks me with extreme examples like this MTU 33, but then I realize that you can't really make exceptions like that unless there's another scale for production defects. And that would be a giant clusterfudge.