• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Who here is a member/former member of the CPG chat?

Are you or were you ever a member of comicspriceguide.com chat?  

120 members have voted

1. 1. Are you or were you ever a member of comicspriceguide.com chat?

26 posts in this topic

One of the slowest moving comic boards I have ever happened across. The only time it became heated was when that PGX lady started posting on multiple forums, CPG being one of the threads. But Shadow zapped that thread after a few days.

Hah!

And CPG used to be good 10 years back or so. Now... not so much...

-slym

It's not surprising when you see someone start a thread about a comic, and weeks later someone responds. Or something starts, has three to five posts, and then eases on down the non-discussion path.

Hah!

And CPG used to be good 10 years back or so. Now... not so much...

It's not surprising when you see someone start a thread about a comic, and weeks later someone responds. Or something starts, has three to five posts, and then eases on down the non-discussion path.

Isn't that every thread in CG?

:lol:

-slym

I have an account and still have about 3000 books entered in on there...but Ive been buying and selling a lot more in the past year and doesn't seem worth it to try to keep up..plus I don't agree with their prices on books so much. Site is a bit slow to navigate around as well. If you want to see what I have on there from my collection just search for Rawdawgg

CPG was an excellent board for a time. A lot of knowledgeable hobbyists posted there. FFB and Hammer would go at it and the knowledge-flow was truly staggering.

Then the Mods started deleting threads and censoring any debate. It became painfully clear CPG had become a CGC "marketing partner" and any questioning was squelched.

So a great many of its members moved right over to STL to continue the discussions. And looking back most of the controversies were slowly revealed to be true. Deleted pedigree notations, trims, disassembly, pressing...

Much of what is commonplace now was unimaginable eye-popping revelation back then, at least to average collectors.

CPG = FAIL. "You can't stop the signal, Mal."

I was but for some reason,everytime I tried to log in the little circle just kept going around and around and around and around............. never stoping. So I just gave up.

I did find some good info there I never knew about and it helped me complete my Pacific Comics collection.I also uploaded some covers but they never got used so what was the point of me going to all that trouble for nothing???

The CCL forum didn't do anything for me either although I have delt with a couple of people there in other places.Good folks but never bought from the site.(I did notice Brett has moved his pile again.)

CPG was an excellent board for a time. A lot of knowledgeable hobbyists posted there. FFB and Hammer would go at it and the knowledge-flow was truly staggering.

Then the Mods started deleting threads and censoring any debate. It became painfully clear CPG had become a CGC "marketing partner" and any questioning was squelched.

So a great many of its members moved right over to STL to continue the discussions. And looking back most of the controversies were slowly revealed to be true. Deleted pedigree notations, trims, disassembly, pressing...

Much of what is commonplace now was unimaginable eye-popping revelation back then, at least to average collectors.

CPG = FAIL. "You can't stop the signal, Mal."

Must have been section specific because I was a moderator for the Underground Comix section and never once deleted a thread. I actually started the whole section and then unexpectedly found my account cancelled and with it the moderator status. It was reactivated after I ran into the site owner when this was going on at SDCC - it was excused as being caused by a glitch. Then within a year or two, the account again went dormant and mod status was revoked - no explanation was ever given. That strangeness alone made it an easy decision to steer away from contributing. The only unfortunate part was that there were some excellent/informative threads on UG's.

The underground section on the CPG boards is the only area where I participate, but there's quite a few of the "old hands" that used to post frequently that no longer do so. We still have good conversations and there's still lots of good info being discussed, but it's quite a bit slower than in the past. It's also haunted by one poster (and his shill accounts) who is so against grading comics in general and CGC in particular that it causes a few ugly arguments from time to time.

Hey Brother J - I didn't make the connection until now. I remember you being one of the early members. Which member is it that is against 3rd-party grading? To be honest, it does not surprise me one bit as I've met quite a few UG collectors who had no time for it.

Hey Brother J - I didn't make the connection until now. I remember you being one of the early members. Which member is it that is against 3rd-party grading? To be honest, it does not surprise me one bit as I've met quite a few UG collectors who had no time for it.

Yes, you're definitely right about a lot of UG collectors being against slabbing. Howard was posting his slabbed copies from the Haight-Ashbury collection on Facebook, and it seemed the most frequent comment was something along the lines of "How can you read them in that plastic?". I guess reading a later printing or reader copy of the same book never occured to them. The collector who is so against it is Zonker from the ugcomix.info site. I appreciate all the information he hosts at his site, but the anti-grading/slabbing thing that comes up almost every time he posts gets to be a bit much.