• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So, now with Copper being HOT, is it okay to overpay for a Copper collection?

98 posts in this topic

I cut a deal yesterday for a collection that has some SA and BA, but is primarily Copper Marvel. 16 longboxes with nice runs of ASM, X-titles, Avengers, Thor and others, at a price of $1.75 per book. A bit more than I would normally like to pay, but since all of the bigger Marvel Copper keys are there, along with some nice SA/BA books (ASM #100 in VF or better, #121 in 4.0 due to unneeded piece of tape reinforcing top staple on cover of VF book :cry:, X-Men #101, plus earlier issues of both in mid to higher grade) it should be worth it.

The funny thing is, he contacted a couple of stores - one gave him a very lowball offer, two said they were not interested in looking at it. doh!

Nice find. :applause:

Thanks. These types of collections are popping up frequently now. I could probably snag a new one every month or two, but my wife would flip on the amount of space they would take up. lol

Thanks. These types of collections are popping up frequently now. I could probably snag a new one every month or two, but my wife would flip on the amount of space they would take up. lol

Which I don't get.

According to posts here the Canadian convention scene is doing great with big money being paid for all sorts of .

Why aren't shops interested in it if the market is so good up there?

Going through the list tonight, is there demand for any off the original Image titles?

Please let us know! My local shop put out a long box of this stuff, all pristine, wildcats 1, Brigade 1, Supreme 1, etc. etc. etc. 3 for $2...I ignored most of it. Were there some late Maxxs or Spawns (or early Spawns, despite being common as dirt) I'd go for them, sure.

This is a dilemna I have in bargain box hunting (nobody is offering me any collections as I am not out there hunting). The other day I'm at a shop I frequent and he has in a bunch of CA books in his dollar box -- new arrivals. I see some Hulks and hope for a 271, but of course that is gone. But he has pretty much all the 60 cent - 65 cent cover price issues there in nice shape (not 9.8s, but 9.4/9.6) and some 50 centers and he'd most likely let me have them 3 for $2 in quantity. My gut tells me I should buy these. They are 30 years old and are nice and shiney. But my colon tells me that there's a lot of this stuff out there and maybe, one day, if I'm lucky these will be $2 box books.....Were they bagged and boarded I'd probably have jumped on them...I figure saving the 10-12 cents is the deal clincher..but they weren't.

Which I don't get.

According to posts here the Canadian convention scene is doing great with big money being paid for all sorts of .

Why aren't shops interested in it if the market is so good up there?

It depends on the store you go to. lol

I told him to go to my file LCS originally as his asking price was too high for me at the time as I was picking up the other DC centric collection I posted about. They are buying and selling GA/SA/BA books like crazy. It is the best store for back issues in Western Canada, IMHO, due to the selection, grading and prices. The only problem I have with this is in the past I could usually snag the best stuff from them even if I let it sit a bit until a sale. Now, keys are gone within hours to days. :cry:

This is a dilemna I have in bargain box hunting (nobody is offering me any collections as I am not out there hunting). The other day I'm at a shop I frequent and he has in a bunch of CA books in his dollar box -- new arrivals. I see some Hulks and hope for a 271, but of course that is gone. But he has pretty much all the 60 cent - 65 cent cover price issues there in nice shape (not 9.8s, but 9.4/9.6) and some 50 centers and he'd most likely let me have them 3 for $2 in quantity. My gut tells me I should buy these. They are 30 years old and are nice and shiney. But my colon tells me that there's a lot of this stuff out there and maybe, one day, if I'm lucky these will be $2 box books.....Were they bagged and boarded I'd probably have jumped on them...I figure saving the 10-12 cents is the deal clincher..but they weren't.

If the books are not bagged and boarded, how long will they stay 9.4/9.6? This will be the problem in the end for the late 70s - early 80s books, IMHO. Print runs had dropped off then, and since they have been floating around unbagged for so long in bargain bins/overstock the amount of true NM or better material may not be as high as expected.

I usually buy dollar books like this if they are 9.4 or better, bagged and boarded and from good runs. The lack of bag and boards sometimes kill these books for me as well.

$1.75 a book is definitely paying a premium price on one of these collections. Were all the big CA keys there?

Yes, along with some SA and BA as well in the ASM (earliest issue is #34) and X-Men runs (earliest issue is #40). Some of the CA keys are Canadian newstand price variants as well. (thumbs u

I think many LCS's just don't get it, and don't understand the back issue market so well. I bought a 130 Long Box collection a few months ago, all in multiples, up to 36 copies of ASM #300, X-Men #266, NM #98's etc etc, all pristine copies, of the initial 100 I had done onsite without pressing 97 came back 9.8's, 1 a 9.6 and 2 9.9's.

I was the second person to see the collection...the first person to see it, an LCS offered $2,500 for 30,000 books, less than a penny per.

His stupidity was my gain, one I'll be thankful for, for a long, long, time.

Jim

$1.75 a book is definitely paying a premium price on one of these collections. Were all the big CA keys there?

Yes, along with some SA and BA as well in the ASM (earliest issue is #34) and X-Men runs (earliest issue is #40). Some of the CA keys are Canadian newstand price variants as well. (thumbs u

How many total SA/BA books? I always wonder how many ASM 300, NM 98 and NM 87 are sitting in 30 something people's long boxes in their parents house. It seems to me like there are A LOT of these collections out there.

We might need to start a show your copper collection purchases thread.

I think many LCS's just don't get it, and don't understand the back issue market so well. I bought a 130 Long Box collection a few months ago, 24-36 copies of ASM #300, X-Men #266, NM #98's etc etc, all pristine copies, of the initial 100 I had done onsite without pressing 97 came back 9.8's, 1 a 9.6 and 2 9.9's.

I was the second person to see the collection...the first person to see it, an LCS offered $2,500 for 30,000 books, less than a penny per.

His stupidity was my gain, one I'll be thankful for, for a long, long, time.

Jim

A LCS owner actually saw that many copies of thoe book in high grade and threw a lowball like that? doh!

Most LCS around me wont even make an offer on any books from the 80's or later, they don't care and don't want to see them.

The store that saw the collection I snagged gave the owner a diatribe on how the stuff was worthless, he did not care what guide was on New Mutants as it was all 50 cent stock, modern books are overvalued, yada yada. I guess all you have to do is look at their comic bins to see which stores keep up on trends and which do not.

The store that saw the collection I snagged gave the owner a diatribe on how the stuff was worthless, he did not care what guide was on New Mutants as it was all 50 cent stock, modern books are overvalued, yada yada. I guess all you have to do is look at their comic bins to see which stores keep up on trends and which do not.

Good business sense to let your personal collecting preferences and thoughts on the current state of the market to affect the books you buy. :makepoint:

The owner made the comments based on his preference, which is GA through Atom Age books. It is a great place to buy BA and up comics from when they get them in, though - earlier this year a collector friend landed a couple of 1st print New 52 Batman #1s for cover from them. (thumbs u

How many total SA/BA books? I always wonder how many ASM 300, NM 98 and NM 87 are sitting in 30 something people's long boxes in their parents house. It seems to me like there are A LOT of these collections out there.

We might need to start a show your copper collection purchases thread.

Wouldn't. Anyone collecting moderns in the early 90s typically have these books? Plenty out there.