• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Women in tubes

68 posts in this topic

Many years ago I traded some movie posters for a collection of hundreds of photos taken in 1939 and 1940 at San Francisco's Golden Gate International Exposition.

The photographs were taken by someone who worked at the fair and were shot over the course of the fair's run.

Here are a few snapshots of one of the attractions that would have caught my eye had I been walking down the midway.

glasstube.jpg

glasstubes.jpg

Many years ago I traded some movie posters for a collection of hundreds of photos taken in 1939 and 1940 at San Francisco's Golden Gate International Exposition.

The photographs were taken by someone who worked at the fair and were shot over the course of the fair's run.

Here are a few snapshots of one of the attractions that would have caught my eye had I been walking down the midway.

glasstube.jpg

glasstubes.jpg

What are they supposed to be? hm

glasstube.jpg

glasstubes.jpg

What are they supposed to be? hm

I think this was an exhibit to display clothing and fabric made from synthetic materials like nylon which was first used in 1938 in nylon-bristled toothbrushes and later in nylon stockings.

24337251-2ee.jpg

I think this was an exhibit to display clothing and fabric made from synthetic materials like nylon which was first used in 1938 in nylon-bristled toothbrushes and later in nylon stockings.

24337251-2ee.jpg

Thanks for the info.

Although, you have now dashed my hope that it was a come-on for The Wonderful World of Pulp Magazines exhibit. :cry:

Do square tubes count?

Batman84.jpg

WeirdSCience20_zpsf952930b.jpg

I was waiting for this one too. I have always wondered what the story was like.

It's the title story in a collection of Wally Wood EC work. It's pretty cool, although the shocking ending probably hasn't shocked anyone in 60 years. :) Artwork is fantastic.