• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amazing Spider-Man 149 red cover variant

86 posts in this topic

I'm trying to find out just how rare the Amazing Spider-Man 149 red variant is. I own a copy.

Being in the publishing business, when I spotted the book at a local comics shop, I immediately knew the blue (or cyan) process of the CMYK printing process had been removed or left out when this issue was printed.

It's the same issue as the regular book, except the cover has a yellow (instead of green) Jackal, Ned Leeds in a yellow (instead of green) suit and both Spider-Man and the Spider-clone are in costumes that are red on pink, rather than red on dark blue (dark purple in the case of the Spider-Man swinging in from above on the regular cover). The outlining of the Amazing Spider-Man logo is also a different color.

I asked the dealer about it and he said he spoke to Harley Yee at a convention and Harley told him he had seen other copies and that it is very rare.

I've e-mailed Harley to ask about it, but got no reply.

I've been watching online auctions and sales and have found no other copy of this book anywhere.

Can anyone help? Has anyone seen this issue before? How rare is it?

A similar book is the Fantastic Four 110 with the color variations.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Along with the answers to your questions, knowing this crowd, prepare for a flood of offers! You could toss a gazelle into a pit of hungry lions and get less reaction than you would tossing the word variant around here.

devil.giftongue.gif

I doesn't sound like a variant, it just sounds like the blue ink color is not fully apparent in the printing process.

The FF#110 is a color variant because the colors are different than what they actually should be.

There have been other color deficient issues mentioned on the boards, like Cal's IM/Subby with the different color hues.

I doesn't sound like a variant, it just sounds like the blue ink color is not fully apparent in the printing process.

The FF#110 is a color variant because the colors are different than what they actually should be.

There have been other color deficient issues mentioned on the boards, like Cal's IM/Subby with the different color hues.

Although after seeing the price of some of those Ultimate Spidey's with deficient ink it may not be considered a varient but may still carry a premium depending on who sees it.

I still don't understand the Ultimate Spider-man craze, so I won't even begin to speculate a reason for the price difference.

I would still like to see a scan of this color difference on this ASM #149. A Yellow Goblin would be interesting.

I still don't understand the Ultimate Spider-man craze, so I won't even begin to speculate a reason for the price difference.

I would still like to see a scan of this color difference on this ASM #149. A Yellow Goblin would be interesting.

I hear that Harry Osborn will be playing a Yellow Goblin in Spider-Man 3. 893scratchchin-thumb.gifmakepoint.gif

The colors on my Amazing Spider-Man are, as you said, "different than what they actually should be."

The Jackal, who is normally green, is completely canary yellow (no sign of blue at all here or he would be green); Ned Leeds' suit is colored canary yellow (again, no blue here or it would be colored correctly, which is green); the top Spider-Man's costume is red on pink and the bottom Spider-Man is red on lighter pink (on the cover of the regular book, the Spider-Man at top is red on very dark blue/purple, while the bottom Spider-Man is red on navy blue, the way he should be colored).

I'll try to get a scan tonight of the book. I've already confirmed that it is, indeed, a variant. I've talked with Overstreet advisors about the book and they have confirmed that it is a true variant that is not listed in the Guide.

What makes it a variant? There is NO BLUE AT ALL in the printing and it completely changes the colors on the book and makes them "different than what they actually should be." That's what I'm saying. The ENTIRE blue process has been removed or omitted. It's a mistake in printing, that's for sure. But, like the FF 110, which is a color variant also, this is a true variant.

It's not got lighter or darker colors. It has completely different colors.

I am managing editor of a newspaper that runs color front pages every single day. I know how each color is done by a certain plate (red is magenta, blue is cyan, yellow is yellow and black is black, which contains all the lines that define the pictures). When a process is removed that would change a color from yellow to green, it's easily recognizable in that you see immediately that the blue or cyan process has been left during printing.

This codswallop must stop, please show us a scan before any sale. 893whatthe.gifdevil.gif

I'm not sure how to post a scan, but I'll get the book tonight and bring it to work with me in the morning to have a scan done and sent so everyone can see it. It's quite a nice book conditionwise, a solid VF.

This codswallop must stop, please show us a scan before any sale. 893whatthe.gifdevil.gif

I'm not sure how to post a scan, but I'll get the book tonight and bring it to work with me in the morning to have a scan done and sent so everyone can see it. It's quite a nice book conditionwise, a solid VF.

thumbsup2.gif

I bought the Amazing Spider-Man 149 red variant in a comic shop in Wise, Va., along with an Uncanny X-Men 98 VF 30-cent variant. The guy had both and sold them to me at a very good price. However, he knew the red cover variant was rare, so the price wasn't cheap.

Regular Version (just so everyone knows which issue we are talking about)

602562-AS149.jpg

My copy (gosh, I wish I had it here at work with me right now so I could send the scan) has yellow outlining around the Amazing Spider-Man logo, Jackal is yellow, Ned Leeds' suit is yellow, the circle around Spider-Man at the top is yellow, and the two Spider-men have no blue in their suits at all. Only red on pink. The top Spider-Man has darker pink in his costume than the bottom Spider-Man. The words "Doomed" and "Revenge!" are also yellow on my copy.

Does anyone know anything about the rarity of this book? Or, why it's never been listed before in the Guide?

I'm curious if any variant or ASM collector knows how tough this book is to find ... Every dealer who's seen it wants it badly and tries to buy or trade it from me. Like I said earlier, it wasn't cheap, so if I sold it, I couldn't sell it cheap.

Since it's a variant without the blue process, I'd be led to believe there might be only a few hundred of these around. Maybe the rest were thrown out before they reached the stands. That's what we do at my newspaper. When something doesn't come out right on our front page, we chalk it up to spoilage and toss the bad copies and reprint.

Does anyone know anything about the rarity of this book? Or, why it's never been listed before in the Guide?

It's not in the guide because it's not a true variant.

It's a printing anomoly.

I'll dig up the post where I explained it when I get off work.

news.gif