• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Copper 100: The Most Important Marvel Comics (1984-1991)

192 posts in this topic

I'm bored. So... Top 5 Marvel comics of thy copper age.

1) ASM 300

2) NM 98

3) NM 87

4) UXM 266

5) ASM 252

Actually, these days you need to flip #2 and #1 in that list. NM 98 is the new undisputed king.

Until a 10.0 of Spiderman 300 shows up. ;)

Do I sense a poll in the near future? That would be interesting.

DD 169 and 182-184 don't need to be on the list. Neither do Punisher 2-5 or Uncanny X-Men 210-11. I don't think all of Born Again needs to be on the list; if we're going to do that, why not all of the Wolvie Ltd. Series, the entire Dark Phoenix Saga, the entire Elektra Saga, etc.? Staying on that theme, I'm not sure the entire Kraven's Last Hunt needs to be there either. These cameo appearance issues (Cap 359, X-Factor 5, ASM 299, etc.) look like overkill to me too. Not sure Cap 241 really needs to be there as well, or Death's Head. :whistle:

I'm sure you can find replacements for the list if you look hard enough. Just off the top of my head:

Elektra: Assassin #1

Alpha Flight #12 (Death of Guardian)

G.I. Joe #2 (limited distribution)

Marvel Fanfare #1

New Mutants #1

Groo the Wanderer #1

Dreadstar #1

Marvel Graphic Novel: God Loves, Man Kills (influenced the film franchise)

Marvel Age #1

Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe #1

Uncanny X-Men #165 (1st Paul Smith on X-Men)

Uncanny X-Men #171 (Rogue joins X-Men)

Uncanny X-Men #172-173 (just because they are so awesome)

Dazzler #1

Power Pack #1

Moon Knight #1

Or, heck, if you don't want to put a bunch of #1s on the list, you could expand the Byrne X-Men, Miller and Miller/Mazz DD, and McSpidey contributions to the list, as even the non-key issues in these runs are generally more collectible/desirable/valuable than many of the other books on the list anyway. (shrug)

Where were you a month ago?

Seriously though, if I were to do this list over, I'd probably agree with you. When we started, I wanted to ensure that the great stories were represented on the list, regardless of value or collectibility. In later lists, I disregarded that measure and just included whatever was more important for whatever reason. Live and learn I guess. Good thing I didn't get the list tattooed on my back like I had originally planned.

Ok, admittedly I stopped rading in the middle, but only one book from the vast byrne ff run seems tpp low. Also, if wemre in the 0s we need contest of champions and xmen ntt no?

I think you might have a typo or two here. :eek:

sorry, tiny keypad on my phone and sleepy

contest of champions (in terms of impact on future minis -- it was before wolverine 1, no? DC no doubt had minis before then, but nobody cared or read them...)

x-men/new teen titans

more than one byrne FF book (admittedly, there isn't much of the way of "keys" in his run, just a lot of well done work)

Good thing I didn't get the list tattooed on my back like I had originally planned.

lol This thread is a great read.

Where the hell have you been? :baiting:

I thought the same thing.

:popcorn:

Yea it's been a few years. Good to see the forum's still going strong.