• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Copper 100: The Most Important Marvel Comics (1984-1991)

192 posts in this topic

Ranking them would just be insane. #1 spiderman 300, #2 Mutants 98... I'm out.

lol

Those really are the easiest books to put at the top of the heap above all other Marvel books. What would be next?

- Spider-Man Platinum #1?

- New Mutants Annual #2?

- X-Factor #6?

- New Mutants #87?

- X-Factor #24?

lol

Those really are the easiest books to put at the top of the heap above all other Marvel books. What would be next?

- New Mutants Annual #2?

- X-Factor #6?

- New Mutants #87?

- X-Factor #24?

:o I gave away a lot of books last year to make some space, there would have been lots of copies of NM ann #2, XF #6 & 24 in this stuff :cry:

lol

- New Mutants Annual #2?

- X-Factor #6?

- New Mutants #87?

- X-Factor #24?

Some of those are newer additions to the top of the heap. I'd say NM 87 deserves it more for that reason. Along with Platinum 1. But again, is it a matter of significance of collectibility, or just popularity?

lol

- New Mutants Annual #2?

- X-Factor #6?

- New Mutants #87?

- X-Factor #24?

Some of those are newer additions to the top of the heap. I'd say NM 87 deserves it more for that reason. Along with Platinum 1. But again, is it a matter of significance of collectibility, or just popularity?

Isn't it one and the same? One has just been more popular, more collectible for a longer period of time.

lol

- New Mutants Annual #2?

- X-Factor #6?

- New Mutants #87?

- X-Factor #24?

Isn't it one and the same? One has just been more popular, more collectible for a longer period of time.

I didn't get that either.

Whether something is "new hot" or "old hot", if it is currently in high demand and has sustainability, then I'm not sure what else to say.

But we also all know our market is extremely fickle, and can turn on a character or title rather rapidly.

lol

- New Mutants Annual #2?

- X-Factor #6?

- New Mutants #87?

- X-Factor #24?

I didn't get that either.

Whether something is "new hot" or "old hot", if it is currently in high demand and has sustainability, then I'm not sure what else to say.

But we also all know our market is extremely fickle, and can turn on a character or title rather rapidly.

I suppose. So, it's more of the what's hot at the moment? A snapshot of what's relevant today? Maybe I'm just confusing myself, as well as everyone here, with my ramblings. :)

A book can have significance/popularity, and essentially no value. Like xforce 1. Some, like ASM 300, have both. And some have value for nothing other than rarity. Meaning only collectible, without any historic significance in the comic world. Like the pressmans. Make any sense, or should I just pack it up and take my last hit?

I suppose. So, it's more of the what's hot at the moment? A snapshot of what's relevant today? Maybe I'm just confusing myself, as well as everyone here, with my ramblings. :)

A book can have significance/popularity, and essentially no value. Like xforce 1. Some, like ASM 300, have both. And some have value for nothing other than rarity. Meaning only collectible, without any historic significance in the comic world. Like the pressmans. Make any sense, or should I just pack it up and take my last hit?

I get what you are saying now. But it is a tough one.

New Mutants 98 was not the huge it became for a long while. Deadpool was some cool character that made some appearances, and was fun to read. But then the right stories came along, and history was made. Even back in 2007-2008, you could easily pick up NM 98 for $20-$25 in very nice shape.

So do we ignore the eventual strength and success of Deadpool's 1st appearance because it took time to explode?

So, it should be a big salad of good books that have significance in a broad spectrum of ways. Just not a numbered ranking. That's when you get into trouble. To many variables, as we've been discussing. Maybe a top 5 consensus, and then leave it alone? After those top 2, I have no idea.

So, it should be a big salad of good books that have significance in a broad spectrum of ways. Just not a numbered ranking. That's when you get into trouble. To many variables, as we've been discussing. Maybe a top 5 consensus, and then leave it alone? After those top 2, I have no idea.

I think you may be right.

ASM 300 and NM 98 are the kings of Marvel Copper Age right now, unless a character really takes off larger than life.

Some of those other Liefeld characters have potential, Amazing Spider-Man always had strong potentials in and out periodically, and even someone like a Paladin in the right hands (more Bronze than Copper) could explode.

You just don't know.

I think if everyone of us were to do a list like this, our own solo project, the lists would look similar but not identical. I think we'd all make our own call on what was more important: a great story that's never been collectible in terms of "hot" or a book that's hard to find but not necessarily significant.

This list, to some degree, falls short because it doesn't list every key issue from, say, UXM or ASM, titles which could probably have another 3-5 issues on the list. At the same time, it's not a list of only those killer stories that everyone remembers from their childhood. It strives to be both but fails. Yet, at the same time, it's a pretty solid list, even if all of us could probably name 10 other issues that are more deserving.

I sort of picture these lists as a snapshot of what's hot now, plus a look at what the majority of us consider to be important to the decade overall, plus a look at what was important at the time. If we consider this more of a guide than a definitive list, it'll change overtime. For example, next year, when Silver Sable blows up... :shy:

And this is a list of the top 100. Imagine if we tried to make it a top 50 list. Sure, there's a lot of things that would easily be removed, but other things would be much harder to determine their worthiness on such a shortened list.

Top 50-75-100, in no particular order would be the way to go in my opinion. What you've already done, essentially. Like I've already said, I couldn't or wouldn't even bother with rankings. I'd have to quit my job and do this list full time. I think your initial list is great, and with a little bit of tweaking, it could win a consensus of agreement and become THE list of copper books to get. In all 3 categories you've started. A checklist for the ages.

Maybe throw in the Pressman books, when you get a chance? :foryou:

All three lists are quite impressive, and thoroughly consolidated.

But amazing how something not getting attention today could be tomorrow's huge hit. It will be interesting over the years to see what comes up as the next big hit.