• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Graded Comic Question

19 posts in this topic

Hello everyone,

I am fairly new to the CGC community, made my first graded comic purchase @ San Diego Comic Con 2013, and I just have a quick question for today

I purchased a Superman #204 graded 9.8, and I had it signed (had the case signed) by Jim Lee...does the value or grade increase? I'm assuming it does but not sure how it works

Hi.

If it was the slab (case) that was signed I don't think it's value would increase as much as if the book was now a CGC Signature Series (recognized signing of the actual book by CGC).

Grade remains the same as it was the slab that was signed. In the case of a SS signature, it would have to be re-graded by CGC. Grade might stay the same, go lower or higher ... depending on many factors )

Hello everyone,

I am fairly new to the CGC community, made my first graded comic purchase @ San Diego Comic Con 2013, and I just have a quick question for today

I purchased a Superman #204 graded 9.8, and I had it signed (had the case signed) by Jim Lee...does the value or grade increase? I'm assuming it does but not sure how it works

Welcome to the boards!

A signature on the case doesn't usually add anything to the value (and it certainly won't affect the grade).

Signatures always decrease the value.

Thanks for asking , and welcome to the boards.

Signatures always decrease the value.

Thanks for asking , and welcome to the boards.

:applause: Welcome.

Happy Birthday! banana031.gif

What if it is an Avengers 4 Pedigree ?

Actually.... I think that in some situations it actually increases the value.

Interesting question.

Suppose you had a copy of Avengers 4 (heh) that you wanted to display with a signature. Now no one in their right mind would get a high grade pedigree signed. However if you had the casing signed by Joe Simon or say, Stan Lee, then you have the signature on the case and the pedigree is untouched.

In that case, someone hunting for a high grade pedigree Avengers 4 gets the book and the signature is a bonus without the signature mucking the book, making them willing to pay more.

For someone that doesn't care about the signature it does not matter since it is only on the case.

Me? For the record, I have signatures on the books themselves.

alright since some people are taking this as a joke....

someone want to seriously answer my question?

If I had the slab signed, value pretty much stays the same, grade stays the same got it

but then if I were to get a comic signed directly onto the cover, then have it graded, that only affects value not grade yes or no?

just a comic book fellow trying to get some knowledge in this game..

but then if I were to get a comic signed directly onto the cover, then have it graded, that only affects value not grade yes or no?

Obviously you would have to put in a new holder, so you'd need to crack it out and go through CGC's Signature Series service. That is the only way to get a Yellow label. If not you get a Green Label of Death (GLOD). (Edit: or IIRC, you can request a Blue label and you'd get a drop in grade. The Yellow label grades the book as if the signature is not there, but the Blue does)

Affecting value? Depends, but let's just say sure, it'll go up a little bit. (I wouldn't think Jim Lee's sig would cause value to rise much, since there are so many out there and his sig is just terrible, but I do not know for sure either way).

Grade? There is no guarantee it will come back the same grade. The person signing it could handle it roughly, and your grade would go down. This has happened plenty of times so yes, the grade could be affected. I've seen people get a bump from 9.4 to 9.6 too though, so you never know.

alright since some people are taking this as a joke....

someone want to seriously answer my question?

If I had the slab signed, value pretty much stays the same, grade stays the same got it

just a comic book fellow trying to get some knowledge in this game..

The value will depend on whether you have a buyer willing to pay a premium for the signature. It's not guaranteed to increase value, but it very well may.

The number grade could change when you resubmit to CGC. Beyond that, you'll get a yellow label (assuming you jumped through the Signature Series hoops properly). The yellow label is a qualified grade, similar to a GLOD. The qualification is the signature. In that sense, the grade has been quite seriously affected. However, most people do not look at a yellow grade the same way they look at a green grade.

Dig?

thank you very much for the help, that makes all the sense

and for the comic i was originally asking about, i only got the slab signed b/c i didnt want to take the comic book out

Hi Welcome To The Boards and on here always expect silly answers as part of the initiation. You'll get them in general no matter what you ask because this board is full of wise guys but they can also be very helpful awesome people. Just take the jokes with a shot of bourbon and wait for the more helpful answers which will eventually come. WARNING!!! Whatever you do, don't press the hissy-fit retaliation button or it'll get ugly. (tsk)

Aside from that my only helpful (or unhelpful) bit to mention is that CGC does recommend you have your CGC books sent back in for re-holder service every 6 years or so to change out the microchamber paper as it absorbs the toxins/acids from the pages/cover. The problem is they likely won't reholder it in the original case which will be disposed of meaning your autograph will be discarded. Also, the case is more for protection. Over the life of a CGC slab, the cases get scratched, cracked, chipped, etc so the autograph may fade or be rubbed off in time. If the case cracks for any reason (shipping, storage, etc) the damage may occur to the signed part and reselling it will be tough as well since the buyer may want it reholdered in which case the signature will get discarded anyway.

So getting the slab signed is an interesting idea for purists who believe the comic should never be touched, one that has been mentioned before on these forums, but usually gets shot down by most due to the impracticality or longevity of it, not to mention lack of certification/authenticity. If you plan on keeping it and never selling it, there's nothing wrong with it. If there is a market for signed slabs out there, it's probably a very small niche market which may make it tough to sell in the future.

thank you very much for the help, that makes all the sense

and for the comic i was originally asking about, i only got the slab signed b/c i didnt want to take the comic book out

Aside from that my only helpful (or unhelpful) bit to mention is that CGC does recommend you have your CGC books sent back in for re-holder service every 6 years or so to change out the microchamber paper as it absorbs the toxins/acids from the pages/cover. The problem is they likely won't reholder it in the original case which will be disposed of meaning your autograph will be discarded. Also, the case is more for protection. Over the life of a CGC slab, the cases get scratched, cracked, chipped, etc so the autograph may fade or be rubbed off in time. If the case cracks for any reason (shipping, storage, etc) the damage may occur to the signed part and reselling it will be tough as well since the buyer may want it reholdered in which case the signature will get discarded anyway.

So getting the slab signed is an interesting idea for purists who believe the comic should never be touched, one that has been mentioned before on these forums, but usually gets shot down by most due to the impracticality or longevity of it, not to mention lack of certification/authenticity. If you plan on keeping it and never selling it, there's nothing wrong with it. If there is a market for signed slabs out there, it's probably a very small niche market which may make it tough to sell in the future.

:applause:

-slym