• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What happened to the comics you had as a kid?

111 posts in this topic

Wow great stories, I'm surprised that most of u don't have the "mom threw away my books" story, so that's lucky,that happened to a lot of people, mostly in the baby boomer age but still. I'm very cautious about that, every time my mom goes to my room that's exactly what I tell her lol

This is what happened to me. I came home from school one day, and they weren't there. My mom had donated them to a children's hospital. I remember being annoyed but not because I regarded them as valuable, just merely comic books to read. Who knew what was going to happen to the value years later?

But that is moms for you. If you can't eat it, clean it or wash it, it's classed as clutter.

Moms are like the unpaid hit men for the garbage industry.

About 20 or so of my comics were stolen when I was a kid. My mom came up with the bright idea that I should write my name on the cover. Thankfully, I didn't do it for very long. My oldest comics have my name on them and any prior to that were stolen.

DG

so somewhere out there in white box land are some books that say dgarthwaite across the top ? Now theres a niche collection for somebody to try

About 20 or so of my comics were stolen when I was a kid. My mom came up with the bright idea that I should write my name on the cover. Thankfully, I didn't do it for very long. My oldest comics have my name on them and any prior to that were stolen.

DG

so somewhere out there in white box land are some books that say dgarthwaite across the top ? Now theres a niche collection for somebody to try

The idea of putting my name on them occurred after mine were stolen. I still have the ones with my name on them. I prize them more than most of my other comics despite being in really rough condition.

DG

I still have all of mine...I started collecting mid 80s when the price went from 60 to 75 cents. Strictly Marvel, DC was unreadable back then.

I also have all the silver age comics i bought back then from conventions. Mostly early FFs (9-35) . I thought they were so cool and valuable since they were almost 25 years old. I have higher grade copies of all of those now, but keep those old Fair/Good copies in binders for sentimental value.

Along with my collection of Marvel Saga which got me hooked on the old SA stories.

Wait, isn't that the era of Alan Moore Swamp Thing and DKR??? That's like the pinnacle of comics writing. :sumo:

yeah, but as a 10 year old i wasnt reading swamp thing or frank miller. i started out collecting comics of toys i played with - mainly GI Joe, transformers, and starriors. all marvel titles which branched out into FF, spider man, iron man, xfactor and west coast avengers.

Like an insufficiently_thoughtful_person I sold my collection when I was 16 for next to nothing. I bought an ibanez guitar, rack, the whole shabang. After 6 months of playing, it still sounded like I was trying to shove a cat into a blender. I collected thousands of books 5 copies at time of each (1 reader 4 bagged and boarded for #1's or first appearances). I had some crazy idea that someday they would be worth money and every penny I could scrounge went into comics.

From age 25 through 40, every time I walked past a comic shop, I would ask myself what was I thinking. Now, It's costing me a hell of a lot more to get them back than what I sold them for. Some of the books I am looking for are embarrassing, but it's the nostalgic part of it more than anything. Some guys have a mid life crisis and find a goomah. Comics are a hell of a lot cheaper in the long run and A LOT less of a headache.

Like an insufficiently_thoughtful_person I sold my collection when I was 16 for next to nothing. I bought an ibanez guitar, rack, the whole shabang. After 6 months of playing, it still sounded like I was trying to shove a cat into a blender. I collected thousands of books 5 copies at time of each (1 reader 4 bagged and boarded for #1's or first appearances). I had some crazy idea that someday they would be worth money and every penny I could scrounge went into comics.

From age 25 through 40, every time I walked past a comic shop, I would ask myself what was I thinking. Now, It's costing me a hell of a lot more to get them back than what I sold them for. Some of the books I am looking for are embarrassing, but it's the nostalgic part of it more than anything. Some guys have a mid life crisis and find a goomah. Comics are a hell of a lot cheaper in the long run and A LOT less of a headache.

Goomahs :cloud9:

I had very few comics as a kid. Maybe 20-30 at most. I didn't get into collecting until I was in college in the early 90's. Had a roommate that was a collector and he told me how much stuff was going for. Sadly, I sold a ASM #50 for almost next to nothing before I understood the real value. So I still have 95% of my stuff left.

They are in long boxes in my shed. Need to go through them one of these days. Most of it will be 90's as I started collecting in the mid 80's as a teenager.

I stopped buying/collecting comics as a young teenager in the early to mid-1980s, after collecting pretty heavily during the late 70s...all of the comics (including a bunch of Mad magazines :baiting: ) I had acquired to that point remained in storage in my childhood home all of this time ...until last summer (kudos to my parents for not throwing any out, either). Last summer, I finally got the urge to go retrieve what was left of my childhood collections (including the comics) from my parents' home (they still live in the same house where I grew up, across the country)...this urge probably came from the fact that I have a 4 year old son and 6 year old daughter, and I want to start sharing some of these things with them.

Well, when I got the comics back and started going through them, my collecting fire reignited, and since then I've been refocusing the collection on what appeals to me now, which is heavily influenced by what I coveted as a kid (but could not afford then). As for my childhood books that no longer fit in my re-focused collecting genres....they are in short boxes in my house, "to be sold" (have already sold some of them here on the boards).

This is pretty much my story exactly. Late 70's - late 80's heavy collecting and buying new. Saved them all. Early 2000's collected my collection from my parents' house when I had space of my own. Began filling in holes, nearly completed an ASM run and bought a lot more from the 60's that I could not afford as a kid (but really wished I had saved for! It would have been a lot cheaper!)

Now I collect silver and bronze, sell or trade duplicates or de-accession items that no longer interest me.