• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question about Hardbound DC Famous First Editions

5 posts in this topic

They're rare. The retail price was $5 and most/or all of them have a dust jacket.

Certainly not something you see every day. Especially in nice shape with the dust jacket.

Action 1 and Tec 27 obviously being the most desired issues.

I wonder what the print runs were on these?

The Action 1 Hardbound popped up on my screen on ebay while I was looking at other things and I put a lowball bid on it not thinking I would win it. But I did win it and now I'm wondering how rare they actually are. You see scores of the regular ones, but never see the hardbound ones.

I'm sure this has been asked before....

How rare are the Hardbound editions of DCs Famous First Editions? In particular Action 1?

Did they make the hardbounds in large quantities like the softbounds?

has anybody ever seen the hardbound copy of Famous First Edition of Batman #1? I have never seen one in 30+ years of looking and Overstreet does list the Batman 1 in hardbound edition. EJR

Overstreet Price Guide in the 80's  stated that these are extremely rare even scarce.this was stated back then. (HARDCOVER)  Editions that is. On the COMICBOOKPRICEGUIDE web sight the values stated in 9.4 condition of these hardcovers are as follows. Detective comics #27 IN 9.4 =$320.00 9.8=$640.00 this is the most valuable of the lot. Action comics 1, Whiz Comics #1 Wonder Woman 1 , Batman 1, Sensation Comics 1 are all values at 9.4=$240.00 9.8=$480.00 .Lyle Stuart Inc.was the publisher of the Hardcovers and are referred to as such. These Hardcover books I believe are the 1st time any of these were reprinted entirely as the original books except for the larger dementions of 10' x 13' 1/2.  I personally have been looking for high grades of these Hardcovers over thirty years. I have never seen of  or heard of anyone ever having a Hardcover of the BATMAN 1 and believe that they do not exist and were never printed there are many photo's of the other Hardcovers on google images but this book has none. I believe that this book has been mistakenly listed as existing. These comments have been posted on March 31st of 2019 so prices may change.

Edited by FABIO BANCO