• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

IM55 9.8 sells for $9k

50 posts in this topic

Remember that thread on 'comic elitism'? This is a prime example. If someone shows you $9,000 in cash no one cares. Spend $9,000 on a over hyped bronze age comic book and you get a thread in comics general and one in the bronze age forum to boot!

I have yet to check out the actual book that sold, but once again movie hype helps sell another book that is anything but rare.

It's also the first appearance of Drax so it's now a double whammy. Just look at Hulk 271, Strange Tales 180, etc, etc. A lot of people are gambling on the Guardians of the Galaxy movie. And to be honest I think it's smart. I have a feeling this movie is going to hit it out of the park. Yes, please quote me.

Several times I've read people saying that Iron Man 55 should drop now that Ultron has been announced for Avengers 2. Joss Whedon has always said he's saving Thanos for Avengers 3.

Thanos will appear in GOTG and then he'll create Ultron for Avengers II.

I'm not saying it should drop. I am saying it is way overvalued and the book will be nowhere near that amount in 9.8 in twenty years. I always look long term. Feel free to quote me on that as well.

Too many copies will now start to hit the census, while pressing on 9.4 and 9.6 issues will continue as more copies gain the coveted 9.8 grade. Then the movie hype will slowly die.

It's just like the WD #1. The true test of this book will come after the show is cancelled. Same for movie hyped books.

I'm not saying it should drop. I am saying it is way overvalued and the book will be nowhere near that amount in 9.8 in twenty years. I always look long term. Feel free to quote me on that as well.

Too many copies will now start to hit the census, while pressing on 9.4 and 9.6 issues will continue as more copies gain the coveted 9.8 grade. Then the movie hype will slowly die.

It's just like the WD #1. The true test of this book will come after the show is cancelled. Same for movie hyped books.

^^

^^

Movie hyped issues are starting to bug me. ASM 194 is quickly skyrocketing in price as the movie approached. I guess I should have bought it a year ago when I had the chance. My reading copy is probably one of the worst in my collection too. It is one that needs a serious upgrade.

I posted a perfectly centered GSX #1 and a perfectly centered Cap #109, which are more significant comics in my mind. No one else seems to mind, though, because my bids have been so far. Why the love for Iron Man #55, anyway? I don't get it.

IM #55 is one of the toughest books to find well centred.

GSX #1 is also pretty tough to find perfect though.

Both are victims of poor 1970's production.

When IM 55 started taking off I remembered I had one in 9.8, went to look at it

fugly miswrapped thing, was like darn, but agree hard to find looking nice. Still did well on it when I sold mine.

I do have a perfect centered GS-Xmen 1 though (like anyone cares), holding on to that! All about wolvies claws.

^^

Movie hyped issues are starting to bug me. ASM 194 is quickly skyrocketing in price as the movie approached. I guess I should have bought it a year ago when I had the chance. My reading copy is probably one of the worst in my collection too. It is one that needs a serious upgrade.

Make a nice HG copy of ASM194 your next purchase because I guarantee you that book will only go up in value, especially in the short term. 2c

That Clink is one of the best centered high grade copies I've seen though. Probably why someone decided they wanted to pay top dollar for it.

This.

I gotta disagree and call shenanigans here! (tsk)

I'll give you guys that this is an EXTREMELY well centered copy, thats for sure. That said, no one and i mean NO ONE! is paying 9k for a MAXIMUM 4k common book because its well centered imo. That book is as common as dirt and there are other nicely centered copies that can be had for WAY less than 9k!

There is no possible way that was a legit sale because of the centering imo. Either that sale is a sham or between the old label and graders notes, the buyer thinks they have a good shot at a 9.9. WELL over double GPA for a common BA Marvel? I just aint buying it hm

True but this was just such a HUGE jump in price! Even with the movie hype, the book has been selling for between 3-4 k. Last sale was $4100 a month ago. To jump all the way to 9k, especially when now a Thanos appearance in an Avengers movie might be 5 or more years away makes zero sense to me.

Again, its a very well centered copy but still, unless the buyer thinks there is SERIOUS 9.9 potential, i just dont see it (shrug)

On a side note, now 9k is the going price apparently meh

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321178812558?afsrc=1

Make a nice HG copy of ASM194 your next purchase because I guarantee you that book will only go up in value, especially in the short term. 2c

That was my thought, then I bought a copy of 129 and that probably tapped me out for the year.

Allure or no allure, as more 9,8's pop up all 9.8's are going to be devalued simply due to increasing availability. the general public doesnt chase the quality of the grade the general public simply chases the grade itself.

That Clink is one of the best centered high grade copies I've seen though. Probably why someone decided they wanted to pay top dollar for it.

This.

I gotta disagree and call shenanigans here! (tsk)

I'll give you guys that this is an EXTREMELY well centered copy, thats for sure. That said, no one and i mean NO ONE! is paying 9k for a MAXIMUM 4k common book because its well centered imo. That book is as common as dirt and there are other nicely centered copies that can be had for WAY less than 9k!

There is no possible way that was a legit sale because of the centering imo. Either that sale is a sham or between the old label and graders notes, the buyer thinks they have a good shot at a 9.9. WELL over double GPA for a common BA Marvel? I just aint buying it hm

I don't know who bought it or why but I can tell you that there have been (and still are) comic collectors who will throw as much money as it takes to secure what they want, and stuff like centering and writing are taken into account.

So they will completely ignore a $4000 book with a defect on it that they don't like but will absolutely go after a perfect copy with guns blazing.

I'm not saying this is what happened here but it does happen.