• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Finally, The Spiderman Poster

13 posts in this topic

There were two large Spidermans 3 foot and 6 foot as well as the 3 foot hulk plus the set of 8 linked below. The set of 8 is really pretty common and often shows up still in the plastic.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=2270443383&ssPageName=STRK:MEBI:IT

Its the large posters that are tough, you had to order those seperate and I don't believe stores had them all that often. Then they got pinned or taped or beat up as most kiddie poster do. These came out in 65 or 66 and are in most of the Marvel comic ads of the day. Its nice that this is the first poster of Spider-man which is kind of cool considering all the posters out nowadays for the movies.

I think a mint poster would go for about $500 but even beaters go for $50 to $100. The large Hulk is a bit less. Pricing is tough as the supply (and demand) is fairly limited. All I wanted was a complete poster without front tape, pin holes or creases and it never came up for sale, ever. A beater came up and sold for over $100 so I thought this one was an easy buy. Not quite A-1 Mint quality but I'll take it.

The 69-70, 3 foot color posters go for $1000 for the Spidey $700-$900 for the Caps and $300-$500 for the others (FF Doom Surfer Hulk). Here's a pic of the 69 poster, always a classic with both Goblin and Doc Ock.

asmposter2.jpg

When it rains it pours. Got an email referring to my winning the 1966, 4 ft poster and this guy offers me the 6 footer for sale. I bought it and his 4 footer for $500. There is a two inch tear and 4 pin holes but it looks white and no other major flaws. Now I need something else to collect. This is only the second one I have seen for sale.

Spidey6ftLou.jpg

Spidey4ft.jpg

BTW does anyone have any info on the 1966 Spiderman poster. Look at the poster on my first post and the poster on the last post. The two 3 to 4 foot posters are different but both are labelled 1966. The first one is basically an exact replica of the 12 x 18 poster with the only difference is the copyrite info is in the bottom right corner rather than the upper right. The second one has the same image but is a slightly smaller poster (you can see in both images that the width is clearly different), it is printed on production type paper with production type coloring similar to the 1969-1970 posters. The copyrite info is dated 1966 and "personality poster" but does not list an address. While dated 1966, with the different production method, it makes me curious is it really is from 1966. There are signs that it is of age, as the tape marks are very brown as well as the wear in general seems old.

Anyway, I'm curious if anyone is aware of these two different, though similar posters. It really would be interesting if these are both posters from 1966 and try and figure out if one is more rare than the other.