• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2015 - a year overcrowded with planned comic-based movies + more

134 posts in this topic

Zachary Quinto as Namor?

Namor%20-%20Zachary%20Quinto.jpg

hm

That is definitely one to ponder. He's always played sort of socially detached characters from what I've seen (Sylar and Spock). Sometimes I don't feel like he is the best actor though. Pulling off that arrogant attitude that Namor has might just feel fake.

And it looks like Deadpool may be up for grabs soon.

Could Fox Lose DEADPOOL Movie Rights To Marvel in a Few Years?

That would be interesting. But I want Cable and Deadpool someday.

I'm sure Fox won't let that property fly away. They could just Corman FF it and retain the thing.

Reading those earlier articles about feuds over Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch, it sounds like all it takes is inserting the character even in a short scene and then the studio has met the expectations of the legal agreement.

So with Deadpool, I wonder if even inserting him in a brief scene clears out any concerns.

And it looks like Deadpool may be up for grabs soon.

Could Fox Lose DEADPOOL Movie Rights To Marvel in a Few Years?

That would be interesting. But I want Cable and Deadpool someday.

I'm sure Fox won't let that property fly away. They could just Corman FF it and retain the thing.

Reading those earlier articles about feuds over Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch, it sounds like all it takes is inserting the character even in a short scene and then the studio has met the expectations of the legal agreement.

So with Deadpool, I wonder if even inserting him in a brief scene clears out any concerns.

Maybe a brief cameo or something along those lines in a new X-Men movie. That would be the simplest way to do things.

Deadpool is becoming a part of mainstream culture in a relatively organic way. I'm thinking Fox will be jumping into a Deapool solo movie pretty soon.

I really like Quinto as an actor and I think he absolutely has the facial features of Namor. However, I can't envision him punching the Hulk in the face without snickering to myself.

Or the upcoming X-Force movie, which Liefeld says is a reality and will include Cable and Deadpool. But there is some confusion over who owns the rights to Cable in movies.

X-Force Movie: Who Owns Cable’s Movie Rights?

That would be a letdown if Cable didn't make it into an X-Force movie if it is going to be based on the characters from the original series.

It would be in Disney's best interests, by the way, to spend some of that Avengers bank to get back the rights to Spidey, X-Men and FF.

Amen to that!

But reading some of the articles this morning, there is a lot of bad blood between the studios that seems to be based on pride, spite over not being allowed to share characters, and greed.

Disney could bring a massive purse to the table to sort this out. But some mentioned tens of millions of dollars to make it happen.

I'm sure the Iron Man and Avengers (and standalone movies) franchises make it very tempting to take on that fight.

The one thing DC can stomp Marvel on right now is their own rights to their own cohesive universe.

Having 3 different movie companies own their three (of four) tent pole properties (Spidey, X-Men, FF) is absurd. Surely they see that.

I'm not sure if owning the rights to the Atom, Aquaman and Bat-Mite is something to get too excited about.

I was thinking along the lines of The Trinity plus JLA plus the GL U. That's a sweet core.

And of course, you knew that was the comparable choice. :baiting:

It would be in Disney's best interests, by the way, to spend some of that Avengers bank to get back the rights to Spidey, X-Men and FF.

Amen to that!

But reading some of the articles this morning, there is a lot of bad blood between the studios that seems to be based on pride, spite over not being allowed to share characters, and greed.

Disney could bring a massive purse to the table to sort this out. But some mentioned tens of millions of dollars to make it happen.

I'm sure the Iron Man and Avengers (and standalone movies) franchises make it very tempting to take on that fight.

The one thing DC can stomp Marvel on right now is their own rights to their own cohesive universe.

Having 3 different movie companies own their three (of four) tent pole properties (Spidey, X-Men, FF) is absurd. Surely they see that.

It is absurd but the cost of reclaiming those properties is more abusrd.

I don't think the cohesive universe argument applies beyond the comic fans. It's cool that DC owns the rights to their main characters and it stinks that Marvel doesn't. However, Marvel won't sweat it because they can just development lesser properties (GotG, Ant-Man) and still out perform Fox and Sony.

1. I'm hoping the numbers won't be absurd.

2. They can afford it.

3. They can't afford the current situation forever (not purcashing), in my humble opinion.

Amen to that!

It is absurd but the cost of reclaiming those properties is more abusrd.

I don't think the cohesive universe argument applies beyond the comic fans. It's cool that DC owns the rights to their main characters and it stinks that Marvel doesn't. However, Marvel won't sweat it because they can just development lesser properties (GotG, Ant-Man) and still out perform Fox and Sony.

1. I'm hoping the numbers won't be absurd.

2. They can afford it.

3. They can't afford the current situation forever (not purcashing), in my humble opinion.

The asking price for the Spidey and X-Men properties would be crazy money. I just don't see why Marvel would spend that kind of money when they can develop other properties without shelling out multiple billions.

I'm also not sure they could afford it or that Fox or Sony would be interested in selling.

Don't get me wrong, I would LOVE to see Marvel own all of their properties.

The asking price for the Spidey and X-Men properties would be crazy money. I just don't see why Marvel would spend that kind of money when they can develop other properties without shelling out multiple billions.

I'm also not sure they could afford it or that Fox or Sony would be interested in selling.

Don't get me wrong, I would LOVE to see Marvel own all of their properties.

This is what it boils down to, really. Why would Fox or Sony sell properties that will, more than likely, continue to bring huge amounts of money for decades to come? (shrug)

marvel-character-composit.jpg

Marvel properties screen rights as of last year

• 20th Century Fox

• Daredevil: Daredevil/Matt Murdock, Elektra (Natchios), The Kingpin/Wilson Fisk, Bullseye, Jack Murdock, Karen Page, Ben Urich
    Elektra: Christine Cord/Tatoo, Typhoid Mary/Marry Alice Walker, Kirigi, Stick, Stone

• Fantastic Four: Doctor Doom/Victor von Doom, Human Torch/Johnny Storm, Invisible Woman/Susan Storm, Mr. Fantastic/Dr. Reed Richards, The Thing/Ben Grimm, Nova/Frankie Raye, Alicia Masters, Willie Lumpkin
    X-Men Mutants: [Agent Zero/Maverick/David North], Angel/Warren Worthington III, Arclight/Phillippa Sontag, Beast/Dr. Henry Phillip “Hank” McCoy, [blob/Frederick J. Dukes], [bolt/Christopher Bradley], Callisto, Colossus/Piotr Nikolaievitch Rasputin, Cyclops/Scott Summers, [Deadpool/Wade Wilson], Emma (Grace) Frost, Jean Grey/Phoenix, Juggernaut/Cain Marko, Gambit/Remy LeBeau, Glob Herman/Herman Gardner, Iceman/Bobby Drake, Jubilee/Jubilation Lee, Katherine “Kitty” Anne Pryde, [Kestrel/John Wraith], Lady Deathstrike/Yuriko Oyama, Leech, Magneto/Erik Magnus Lehnsherr, Mastermind/Jason (Wyngarde), Multiple Man/James Arthur Madrox, Mystique/Raven Darkholme, Nightcrawler/Kurt Wagner, Phat/William Robert “Billy-Bob” Reilly, Professor Charles Xavier, Psylocke/Elizabeth “Betsy” Braddock, Pyro/St. John Allerdyce, Quill/Max Jordan, Rogue/(Anna) Marie, Sabretooth/Victor Creed, Sebastian Hiram Shaw, [silver Fox], Siryn/Theresa Rourke Cassidy, (The) Spike, Storm/Ororo Munroe, Wolverine/Logan

• X-Men Non-Mutants: Drake Family (Steven, Madeline, Ronny), Grey Family (Dr. John, Elaine), Henry Peter Gyrich, Robert Edward Kelly, Dr. Moira Kinross MacTaggert, Dr. Kavita Rao, William Stryker, Bolivar Trask, Warren Worthington II

New Line Cinema

• Vampires: Blade, Deacon Frost, Dracula/Vlad Tepes
  • Non-Vampires: Hannibal King, Abraham Whistler [uPDATE: Since the time of writing this, The Blade rights have been transferred back into Marvel's hands.]

Sony Pictures

• Ghost Rider: Ghost Rider/Johnny Blaze, Blackheart/Legion, Phantom Rider/Carter Slade, Abigor, Gressil, Mephistopheles, Wallow, Barton Blaze, Roxanne Simpson

• Spider-Man: Spider-Man/Peter Parker, Doctor Octopus/Otto Octavius, Green Goblin/Norman Osborn, (New) Green Goblin/Harry Osborn, [The Lizard]/Dr. Curt Connors, Sandman/Flint Marko, Venom/Eddie Brock Jr., Betty Brant, Dennis Carradine (Buglar), J. Jonah Jameson, Ben Parker, May Parker, John Jameson, Joseph “Robbie” Robertson, Gwen Stacy, Mendel Stromm, Flash Thompson

Lionsgate Entertainment

• Punisher: The Punisher/Frank Castle, Jigsaw/Billy Russoti, Microchip/Linus Liberman, Joan the Mouse, Maginty, Mr. Bumpo, Spacker Dave, The Russian, Maria Elizabeth Castle, Detective Martin Soap [uPDATE: Since the time of writing this, The Punisher rights have been transferred back into Marvel's hands.]

Great list! Thanks.

Daredevil and Ghost Rider are now back with Marvel and maybe Elektra

I just hope we don't see the goose laying the golden eggs killed, or sharks being jumped, or whatever your favorite metaphor for too much of a good thing would be. To be honest I'm worried about Guardians of the Galaxy. Maybe it's just me, but why the hell anyone would look at that property and think that that should be Marvel's next film is beyond me. I hope I'm wrong and its awesome, but then again I also need prices to come down on TTA #13.

This times a MILLION!!!

I want all Marvel movies and really any superhero movie to do well. For the life of me though, i dont see how they are possibly going to pull off GotG as a major blockbuster that non comic fans will flock to and enjoy. Hell, im a Marvel zombie and i dont even want to see a GotG movie!

This one DEFINITELY worries me hm

:bump: UPDATED :bump:

20th Century Fox

• Elektra: Christine Cord/Tatoo, Typhoid Mary/Marry Alice Walker, Kirigi, Stick, Stone (?)

• Fantastic Four: Doctor Doom/Victor von Doom, Human Torch/Johnny Storm, Invisible Woman/Susan Storm, Mr. Fantastic/Dr. Reed Richards, The Thing/Ben Grimm, Nova/Frankie Raye, Alicia Masters, Willie Lumpkin

• X-Men Mutants: [Agent Zero/Maverick/David North], Angel/Warren Worthington III, Arclight/Phillippa Sontag, Beast/Dr. Henry Phillip “Hank” McCoy, [blob/Frederick J. Dukes], [bolt/Christopher Bradley], Callisto, Colossus/Piotr Nikolaievitch Rasputin, Cyclops/Scott Summers, [Deadpool/Wade Wilson], Emma (Grace) Frost, Jean Grey/Phoenix, Juggernaut/Cain Marko, Gambit/Remy LeBeau, Glob Herman/Herman Gardner, Iceman/Bobby Drake, Jubilee/Jubilation Lee, Katherine “Kitty” Anne Pryde, [Kestrel/John Wraith], Lady Deathstrike/Yuriko Oyama, Leech, Magneto/Erik Magnus Lehnsherr, Mastermind/Jason (Wyngarde), Multiple Man/James Arthur Madrox, Mystique/Raven Darkholme, Nightcrawler/Kurt Wagner, Phat/William Robert “Billy-Bob” Reilly, Professor Charles Xavier, Psylocke/Elizabeth “Betsy” Braddock, Pyro/St. John Allerdyce, Quill/Max Jordan, Rogue/(Anna) Marie, Sabretooth/Victor Creed, Sebastian Hiram Shaw, [silver Fox], Siryn/Theresa Rourke Cassidy, (The) Spike, Storm/Ororo Munroe, Wolverine/Logan

• X-Men Non-Mutants: Drake Family (Steven, Madeline, Ronny), Grey Family (Dr. John, Elaine), Henry Peter Gyrich, Robert Edward Kelly, Dr. Moira Kinross MacTaggert, Dr. Kavita Rao, William Stryker, Bolivar Trask, Warren Worthington II

New Line Cinema

• Non-Vampires: Hannibal King, Abraham Whistler [uPDATE: Since the time of writing this, The Blade rights have been transferred back into Marvel's hands.]

Sony Pictures

• Spider-Man: Spider-Man/Peter Parker, Doctor Octopus/Otto Octavius, Green Goblin/Norman Osborn, (New) Green Goblin/Harry Osborn, [The Lizard]/Dr. Curt Connors, Sandman/Flint Marko, Venom/Eddie Brock Jr., Betty Brant, Dennis Carradine (Buglar), J. Jonah Jameson, Ben Parker, May Parker, John Jameson, Joseph “Robbie” Robertson, Gwen Stacy, Mendel Stromm, Flash Thompson

Lionsgate Entertainment

• Punisher: The Punisher/Frank Castle, Jigsaw/Billy Russoti, Microchip/Linus Liberman, Joan the Mouse, Maginty, Mr. Bumpo, Spacker Dave, The Russian, Maria Elizabeth Castle, Detective Martin Soap [uPDATE: Since the time of writing this, The Punisher rights have been transferred back into Marvel's hands.]

Marvel Studios - properties reverted back to Marvel control

• Daredevil: Daredevil/Matt Murdock, The Kingpin/Wilson Fisk, Bullseye, Jack Murdock, Karen Page, Ben Urich

• Ghost Rider: Ghost Rider/Johnny Blaze, Blackheart/Legion, Phantom Rider/Carter Slade, Abigor, Gressil, Mephistopheles, Wallow, Barton Blaze, Roxanne Simpson

• Namor (?)

I am glad Marvel sold off the rights to other studios - it gives us more movies & forced Marvel to create a movie universe based on their lesser characters - which they did well.

I would probably enjoy cameo crossovers from the A+ list (Spidey, FF, X-men) but I don't want to see 32 characters do the "origin recap, hero vs hero fight then team up to fight the bad guy" thing in a two hour movie - the character count in Avengers was pushing the limit in one movie....luckily Thor/Cap were bit players, Loki was established & the Hulk reboot worked this time.

Another :bump: UPDATED :bump:

20th Century Fox

• Elektra: Christine Cord/Tatoo, Typhoid Mary/Marry Alice Walker, Kirigi, Stick, Stone (?)

• X-Men Mutants: [Agent Zero/Maverick/David North], Angel/Warren Worthington III, Arclight/Phillippa Sontag, Beast/Dr. Henry Phillip “Hank” McCoy, [blob/Frederick J. Dukes], [bolt/Christopher Bradley], Callisto, Colossus/Piotr Nikolaievitch Rasputin, Cyclops/Scott Summers, [Deadpool/Wade Wilson], Emma (Grace) Frost, Jean Grey/Phoenix, Juggernaut/Cain Marko, Gambit/Remy LeBeau, Glob Herman/Herman Gardner, Iceman/Bobby Drake, Jubilee/Jubilation Lee, Katherine “Kitty” Anne Pryde, [Kestrel/John Wraith], Lady Deathstrike/Yuriko Oyama, Leech, Magneto/Erik Magnus Lehnsherr, Mastermind/Jason (Wyngarde), Multiple Man/James Arthur Madrox, Mystique/Raven Darkholme, Nightcrawler/Kurt Wagner, Phat/William Robert “Billy-Bob” Reilly, Professor Charles Xavier, Psylocke/Elizabeth “Betsy” Braddock, Pyro/St. John Allerdyce, Quill/Max Jordan, Rogue/(Anna) Marie, Sabretooth/Victor Creed, Sebastian Hiram Shaw, [silver Fox], Siryn/Theresa Rourke Cassidy, (The) Spike, Storm/Ororo Munroe, Wolverine/Logan

Sony Pictures

Marvel Studios - properties reverted back to Marvel control

• Daredevil: Daredevil/Matt Murdock, The Kingpin/Wilson Fisk, Bullseye, Jack Murdock, Karen Page, Ben Urich

• Namor (?)

• Powerman

• Punisher: The Punisher/Frank Castle, Jigsaw/Billy Russoti, Microchip/Linus Liberman, Joan the Mouse, Maginty, Mr. Bumpo, Spacker Dave, The Russian, Maria Elizabeth Castle, Detective Martin Soap

• Non-Vampires: Hannibal King, Abraham Whistler