• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic Book Museum

17 posts in this topic

I think it's about time that a comic book museum be created. Maybe a couple of the major dealers and collectors can come together and create this museum. They can all showcase their rare, hard to find books that we've never seen before instead of hiding them in their closets. Each section of the museum would be set up for the different ages and genres. For instance one section can be totally devoted to good girl or pre-code horror comic books. To entice some of the well know collectors (like Ian Levine) to participate, perhaps a plaque can be provided at the bottom of each book stating who the owner is and whether the book is a pedigree or not. For instance a banner would say this entire Captain America Comics section belongs to so and so. The people that provide their comics for viewing will probably have to sign a 1-year contract to showcase their books. This would prevent them from removing their books at any given time. I'm sure others will be wiling to take their place if that happens. For each title a book can be provided for viewing so fans can skim through and read about the history, story or cost of each book (pictured).

The books would be enclosed in air-tight glass chambers to avoid aging or wear due to outside handling. It would probably be easier to have them all CGC graded, but not necessary. Of course all SA to MA books would need to be in NM condition, while the GA or PA books can have lower grades.

Perhaps, some of the major writers and artists can make appearances and sign autographs. I realize that comic book conventions do provide a lot of these services, but something like this would be permanent where anyone can visit at any time. Plus, if you need to buy and sell books you can still go to the comic book conventions. Some of the walls can be lavished with original art, comic book movie memorabilia, posters, etc.

The one problem is that a small admissions fee would probably be required to compensate for the cost of running the place. However, it would really be interesting to view every single original comic book ever created instead of looking at a picture of one in a compilation book.

I think it's about time that a comic book museum be created. Maybe a couple of the major dealers and collectors can come together and create this museum. They can all showcase their rare, hard to find books that we've never seen before instead of hiding them in their closets. Each section of the museum would be set up for the different ages and genres. For instance one section can be totally devoted to good girl or pre-code horror comic books. To entice some of the well know collectors (like Ian Levine) to participate, perhaps a plaque can be provided at the bottom of each book stating who the owner is and whether the book is a pedigree or not. For instance a banner would say this entire Captain America Comics section belongs to so and so. The people that provide their comics for viewing will probably have to sign a 1-year contract to showcase their books. This would prevent them from removing their books at any given time. I'm sure others will be wiling to take their place if that happens. For each title a book can be provided for viewing so fans can skim through and read about the history, story or cost of each book (pictured).

The books would be enclosed in air-tight glass chambers to avoid aging or wear due to outside handling. It would probably be easier to have them all CGC graded, but not necessary. Of course all SA to MA books would need to be in NM condition, while the GA or PA books can have lower grades.

Perhaps, some of the major writers and artists can make appearances and sign autographs. I realize that comic book conventions do provide a lot of these services, but something like this would be permanent where anyone can visit at any time. Plus, if you need to buy and sell books you can still go to the comic book conventions. Some of the walls can be lavished with original art, comic book movie memorabilia, posters, etc.

The one problem is that a small admissions fee would probably be required to compensate for the cost of running the place. However, it would really be interesting to view every single original comic book ever created instead of looking at a picture of one in a compilation book.

There already is a comic book museum in NYC; it's called MOCCA or something like that.

There already is a comic book museum in NYC; it's called MOCCA or something like that.

Really? Anybody got a link to any info?

Really? Anybody got a link to any info?

Well, a google of "MOCCA" turned up this.

That's the one I meant. I believe there is also another museum in NYC devoted to some aspect of comics or cartoons, also downtown, but I forget what it's called. I read an article about them a few months ago that described which is which.

MOCCA has some pretty nice space on Broadway south of houston (yes, SOHO) in NYC. It's actually a great layout and a pretty cool space. They had a great display for the Harvey's this past summer. They also do promotional events in the space tied to different releases (two that immediately spring to mind would be the book release of Superman on the Couch by Danny Fingeroth and a viewing of the art for the Dave Cockrum benefit).

The Diamond Galleries is in Baltimore and would probably be the closest thing to a true museum of comic related merchandise including books, art, toys, busts, character rings, etc. - really if you can think of it chances are it's there.

I don't think that Diamond Galleries has any funding issues thanks to Mr. Geppi, but MOCCA does offer memberships at extremely reasonable rates.

Best,

DAM

One more thing - with regards to what seems to be more of a library filled with thousands and thousands of books I know that several universities have extensive comic book collections. I think there is one in Michigan that is outrageous and then I believe 2 brothers gave Duke a huge comic book collection in the last 2 years.

Best,

DAM

There used to be the Words & Pictures Museum in North Hampton, MA, run by Kevin Eastman. Museum history. I was lucky enough to go there several times for signings, including the Heavy Metal 20th anniversary show, which had 20 different artists (and Julie Strain!). It obviously didn't work out for Kevin, but he'd be someone to talk to about opening a Comic museum.

We have the Chuck Jones art gallery in Santa Fe. Pretty killer stuff there.

Coincidentally, there's a Cartoon Art Museum here in San Francisco too - and it's located right across from a building owned by Chuck Jones' estate (I know this because the co. I work for leased the building from Jones, and later his widow, for a number of years.)

I suspect that, like the Cartoon Art Museum in SF, the MOCCA is more focused on original art, and not even specifically comic book art.

A museum along the lines envisioned in this thread would be cool, but it would have to be a traveling exhibit - and would require a fleet of armed guards to protect the books, if in fact the items on display were "museum quality."