• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

When did pressing a comic before every sub become the norm?

923 posts in this topic

A modern assembly of vintage parts may appear identical to a vintage production assembly, but it ain't. Big numbers and certification labeling can help enhance the illusion, but it's still an illusion.

Illusions that can't be distinguished from the real thing aren't illusions.

Of course they are.

What is is. A trick is only a trick if it fools you. And this thread wouldn't exist if everyone was taken in, would it?

Huh?

If something is made to be the same as something else to the point that you can't tell that it's not the same, then isn't it the same?

Those who would argue against pressing might say 'That's the trick! That's why I hate pressing! You've unnaturally made it the same, and now I can't tell the difference, and that 'difference' was a huge part of my comic joy!"

Those who would argue for pressing my say "That's the why it's not a trick! You can't tell the difference BECAUSE it's the same!" That sameness is a huge part of this improving my comic joy!"

It's the argument that gets ridiculed and dismissed as 'purist', but it's based in reality. A comic book is a book, and a book is a production assembly. Post production re-trimming, re-pressing or re-stapling alter what was "factory". Not much way around that fact.

A modern assembly of vintage parts may appear identical to a vintage production assembly, but it ain't. Big numbers and certification labeling can help enhance the illusion, but it's still an illusion.

Illusions that can't be distinguished from the real thing aren't illusions.

Of course they are.

What is is. A trick is only a trick if it fools you. And this thread wouldn't exist if everyone was taken in, would it?

This thread has gone off the deep end and needs someone to meme-bomb it into oblivion. :ohnoez:

Where's Team Derail® when you need them? :ohnoez:

Just want to shout out all of the closet pressers who bash pressing. May the grade bumps be with you.

Who are you referring to? :popcorn:

One good (maybe great argument) against pressing, is that when all of these comics were bought, they were not pressed.

FALSE! All books are pressed during manufacturing.

..... and trimmed.

One good (maybe great argument) against pressing, is that when all of these comics were bought, they were not pressed.

..... and trimmed.

The difference (and the fact) is that books are being pressed and unpressed involuntarily, using natural processes, during their entire lives to varying degrees with very attention being drawn to it. The same cannot be said for trimmed, colour touched, pieces added, etc by the way.

Pressing is a darn near invisible process most of the time, and completely invisible much of the time, that happens in varying degrees naturally and yet now, a line is being attempted to be drawn in the sand at one of those degrees when money becomes involved.

..... and trimmed.

The difference (and the fact) is that books are being pressed and unpressed involuntarily, using natural processes, during their entire lives to varying degrees with very attention being drawn to it. The same cannot be said for trimmed, colour touched, pieces added, etc by the way.

Pressing is a darn near invisible process most of the time, and completely invisible much of the time, that happens in varying degrees naturally and yet now, a line is being attempted to be drawn in the sand at one of those degrees when money becomes involved.

Kudos on the anthropomorphization.

The difference (and the fact) is that books are being pressed and unpressed involuntarily, using natural processes, during their entire lives to varying degrees with very attention being drawn to it.

And every time it happens, the magic is gone. In much the same way that the magic disappears whenever men use "that angry tone of voice" around a woman. :sorry:

Just want to shout out all of the closet pressers who bash pressing. May the grade bumps be with you.

ha ha ha I wont open my can of speculation worms.

So it's just speculation then, no facts?

The difference (and the fact) is that books are being pressed and unpressed involuntarily, using natural processes, during their entire lives to varying degrees with very attention being drawn to it.

And every time it happens, the magic is gone. In much the same way that the magic disappears whenever men use "that angry tone of voice" around a woman. :sorry:

pressing-1.jpg

pressing-1.jpg

That looks like a mug's game.

He made it sound like he had facts in the first place. Sounded pretty definite, didn't he?

pressing-1.jpg

That looks like a mug's game.

lol

pressing-1.jpg

It is funny because there are some folks that think it is true lol

I'm a believer in "natural" pressing of a book based on how its stored/climate through its life but many have jumped on that and said it was IMPOSSIBLE to match what a press does. I always forget about all of the scientists we have on the boards. I'd love to know if it is possible for a book stored for X years under condition X with X amount of weight on it, would it yield the same results as a dry mount press.

He made it sound like he had facts in the first place. Sounded pretty definite, didn't he?

:popcorn:

:popcorn:

I guess we know the answer then.