• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

When did pressing a comic before every sub become the norm?

923 posts in this topic

Production didn't produce front and back covers so differently aligned with the interior pages.

absolutely untrue. Book was made this way.

f1e23fa8-fd17-4338-b2ed-f8c110c26a66.jpg

Can't see the back cover, so (i) does it extend all the way to the edge of the interior pages? (ii) if it does, is it from a spine roll from post-production storage?

From the little bit of the back cover one can see at the top, it appears to barely reach beyond the front cover, and fall far short of aligning with the interior pages.

Does not look to be improperly stored. Lays flat amd I know its never been pressed

da244bfd-15e2-4ed7-abf2-c43adc245a05.jpg

Apart from the fanning outer edge which make the book appear suspect, the one thing this book has going for it is the way the transverse spine creases break colour, and in the more pronounced cases, they are visible on the front and back of the cover. Which as much as we may dislike the idea of cracking open a spine, is the "natural" way a transverse spine crease should spread. Most of the spine shifted examples exposed in the spine shifting thread have migrated the defects entirely to the rear cover.

This is my reply to your original post

What a ridiculous reply lol. So youve covered reading and shelf wear. What about the 1 million other defect causing situations this book could have faced over its 50 year life?

Ive seen entire longboxes of books that werent quite full, fell over and only had ticks on the back cover.

Not to mention there are spine tiks all over the front spine that do not extent to the back. Meaning if this spine had been shifted postproduction that means there would have been spine like tiks floating an eight of an inch to the right of spine.

Lastly, how can you argue that cgc cant diagnose 'bad pressing' and then immediately diagnose my book as a 'bad press' rofl

lol

My original post (which lasted all of 30 seconds before I realized it wasn't the book I thought it was) I confused as one of the books from the "collector_comics" eBay listings namisgr posted a link to earlier.

The reply I rewrote is two posts above - I think you should reread it and maybe we can both lol about what you just wrote.

Or you could still overlook what I wrote and still try to find an argument to pick, but I can tell you that I don't care to be that person.

Bottom line is that the book is a red flag regardless of what you know about the books history/provenance. To reiterate what I covered two posts above this one, the back cover scan tells a different story from the ones Wilson was wrecking.

I didn't create the atmosphere which would question or treat the type of defect your book exhibits with suspicion, and if you have an issue or a bone to pick, go at CGC. (thumbs u

Looking at the book, I'd venture your maybe is dead wrong. The problem with seeing a "facejob" everywhere you look is you'll inevitably be unfairly denigrating others' books for sale, perhaps hurting sales prices overall, if the bleating is loud enough.

Now, if I were the cynical type, I could venture that badmouthing books is a most excellent way to discourage bidding and keep the $ "reasonable."

I'm glad I'm not often cynical. :)

Fair enough, so I'll refrain from posting other "maybes."

Screw that, dude, post whatever you want! (thumbs u

I'll just keep saying it. In the long term, pressing can't be good for the hobby. Although, I admit, I believed by now the we would have seen a backlash, I still think one day. I even wonder if someone sued CGC, that it would have a better the 50/50 chance of holding up in court.

Looking at the book, I'd venture your maybe is dead wrong. The problem with seeing a "facejob" everywhere you look is you'll inevitably be unfairly denigrating others' books for sale, perhaps hurting sales prices overall, if the bleating is loud enough.

Now, if I were the cynical type, I could venture that badmouthing books is a most excellent way to discourage bidding and keep the $ "reasonable."

I'm glad I'm not often cynical. :)

theres a 2-3 sellers that pump out constant shifted spines. I will not go anywhere near their books.

I'll just keep saying it. In the long term, pressing can't be good for the hobby. Although, I admit, I believed by now the we would have seen a backlash, I still think one day. I even wonder if someone sued CGC, that it would have a better the 50/50 chance of holding up in court.

What would be the basis for the lawsuit? hm

Third-party grading company misrepresenting to consumers information that would influence their decision to purchase comics. Another could be grading certification misleading consumers regarding the actual grade of the comic, and the decision leading consumers to purchase certified comics based on CGC's warranty of grade and the accuracy CGC uses to assign a final grade. One book passing through meets the 99% reliability criteria, but nearly a dozen books passing through wouldn't pass muster. Personally, I'm surprised there hasn't been a similar thread like the Harshen one for Ewerts books for the spine shifting.

Sorry this disappearing trick doesn't wash with me. I'd sooner stick with the license to over grading theory.

It's not an either/or. Both factors were at play, IMHO.

And, like I said, probably the best thing to come of this thread is CGC having to re-evaluate how it looks at these defects.

Third-party grading company misrepresenting to consumers information that would influence their decision to purchase comics. Another could be grading certification misleading consumers regarding the actual grade of the comic, and the decision leading consumers to purchase certified comics based on CGC's warranty of grade and the accuracy CGC uses to assign a final grade. One book passing through meets the 99% reliability criteria, but nearly a dozen books passing through wouldn't pass muster. Personally, I'm surprised there hasn't been a similar thread like the Harshen one for Ewerts books for the spine shifting.

Even in the hyperlitigous U.S., I doubt such a suit would get to first base. The disclaimer on the back of the slab notes that they are only venturing an opinion because grading is subjective. I don't see that there is any "warranty of grade" involved. The only information they offer consumers is their opinion of what the grade is. Consumers are free to accept the service as offered or not.

Now, if it were to be shown that they were in cahoots with the spine shifters and that they believed the actual grades of these books should be lower than the grades they were giving the books, you might have something. Short of that, I doubt a lawsuit would have merit.

lol

what is pressing?

Have you ever seen those Three Stooges episodes where they work in a dry-cleaners shop? They have those big steamy machines to iron your clothes in one shot. People take their books and throw them between the plates of the steam iron and press all the bad voodoo & mojo right out of their comics that way. It even makes colours brighter, whitens pages, and adds missing pieces to the cover!

In other words, as Comicopolis said, it is magic.

(:

-slym

lol

I don't think it's funny at all to think someone could have been majorly rooked, on what would have amounted to a $72K loss on that Avengers #1 9.2.

lol

I don't think it's funny at all to think someone could have been majorly rooked, on what would have amounted to a $72K loss on that Avengers #1 9.2.

Yeah, I can just imagine some hard-working guy saving up for 15 years to get his dream book, an Avengers #1, and ending up with that piece of junk. I don't think it's funny either.

lol

CGC didn't sell that book.

They gave their opinion on it, and slabbed it in plastic.

You're already losing this battle, counselor.