• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ideas to minimise shipping fees ! Anyone !

12 posts in this topic

Sitting at work here in the UK daydreaming, and a few thoughts have crossed my mind.

I'm considering selling my comic collection and having the valuable stuff CGC'd. Problem is when it comes to selling time the books will, more than likely, be bought by American collectors so will have travelled from the UK to the US to be CGC'd and then back to the UK from the US when the grading has been completed and then finally sent back across the pond to the US when a buyer has been found!

That's a lot of shipping fees, a lot of miles and a lot of opportunity for something to go wrong !!!

Any ideas if there's any trustworthy souls in the US who'd be prepared to hold onto the books after they've been graded and who'd send them on to the purchaser ? (obviously for a handling/storage fee/commission)

Not sure if the ideas a go'er or not but just thought I'd throw it out there. could be a possible cottage industry in the offing :)

Obviously there's a LOT of holes in the idea but just wondered if anyone thought that the principle of the idea held any interest or could possibly be streamlined into something sensible,

Now i'm going to sit back and wait for my stupid idea to be shot down in flames :o

Have Flaming_Telepath (Nick) broker the selling of the books for you raw. Nick is fully capable of deciding on his own the best venue, but if he decides to sell them here, his reputation and grading would be good enough to not require you the cost/hassle/risk of sending them to CGC.

If you've got anything high-grade (for SA pence copies, I'd say anything over 8.0 on semi to keyish books) maybe send those in for grading. 2c

Sitting at work here in the UK daydreaming, and a few thoughts have crossed my mind.

I'm considering selling my comic collection and having the valuable stuff CGC'd. Problem is when it comes to selling time the books will, more than likely, be bought by American collectors so will have travelled from the UK to the US to be CGC'd and then back to the UK from the US when the grading has been completed and then finally sent back across the pond to the US when a buyer has been found!

That's a lot of shipping fees, a lot of miles and a lot of opportunity for something to go wrong !!!

Any ideas if there's any trustworthy souls in the US who'd be prepared to hold onto the books after they've been graded and who'd send them on to the purchaser ? (obviously for a handling/storage fee/commission)

Not sure if the ideas a go'er or not but just thought I'd throw it out there. could be a possible cottage industry in the offing :)

Obviously there's a LOT of holes in the idea but just wondered if anyone thought that the principle of the idea held any interest or could possibly be streamlined into something sensible,

Now i'm going to sit back and wait for my stupid idea to be shot down in flames :o

One possibility may be consigning the books, after cgc grading, to mycomicshop.com. He is a board member so you could send him a pm and inquire.

Sorry for the delay in replying guys, incredibly I actually had to go and do some work! My employers are so inconsiderate... :)

some good suggestions, when I finally get some time away from work I'm going to go through everything I have with a fine tooth comb and work out exactly which books are worth sending to cgc and then make a decision from there.

Off the top of my head I do have some silver and bronze age keys in average-ish (5/6) or so condition, are these worth sending in to CGC or, as you say, offering them to board members here?

the issues in question are:

Silver Surfer 1

Giant Size Xmen 1

Captain America 100

House of Secrets 92 (more like a 7.0)

I also have a complete xmen run from 94-360 with condition varying throughout from 6 through to 9.4ish.

there are lots more issues, these are just off the top of my head

Sorry for the delay in replying guys, incredibly I actually had to go and do some work! My employers are so inconsiderate... :)

some good suggestions, when I finally get some time away from work I'm going to go through everything I have with a fine tooth comb and work out exactly which books are worth sending to cgc and then make a decision from there.

Off the top of my head I do have some silver and bronze age keys in average-ish (5/6) or so condition, are these worth sending in to CGC or, as you say, offering them to board members here?

the issues in question are:

Silver Surfer 1

Giant Size Xmen 1

Captain America 100

House of Secrets 92 (more like a 7.0)

I also have a complete xmen run from 94-360 with condition varying throughout from 6 through to 9.4ish.

there are lots more issues, these are just off the top of my head

Based on these estimated grade ranges, I'd say just sell them raw.

Agree with above, based on these descriptions I'd say nothing worth the cost of slabbing. Too bad though because, just take a vacation to Florida and bring the books with you.

I sympathize with you. Spent 6 years in London and collected while I was there. Made all sorts of contraptions to carry my books back home on the plane. Even brought home 2 large cardboard posters from the Leicester Square premiere of the Eric Bana Hulk movie.

Sorry for telling my story in your thread

Agree with above, based on these descriptions I'd say nothing worth the cost of slabbing. Too bad though because, just take a vacation to Florida and bring the books with you.

Now that sounds like a plan :)

I'm waaaaay overdue a holiday ...

Thanks comicwiz, I have communicated with Flaming_Telepath and that could be a route for me. I think the plan at the moment will be to work out exactly what I have and forward the books like J.I.M 83, Daredevil 1 and Xmen 1 (although this is a pence copy) on to CGC and then to either ask Flaming_Telepath to sell the remainder of my collection or to attempt doing so myself. The only drawback attempting to sell the books myself is that I have no track record with the boardies here, regarding accuracy of grading or general integrity. Although I am second only to Captain America for integrity :)

I suppose we all have to start somewhere though when it comes to building reputations and relationships.

If you guys have any further advice regarding any of these points I'm all ears.

And thank you all for taking the time to leave these pointers, it's greatly appreciated.

My Caf: comicartfans