• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I put a Temp and RH sensor in my safety deposit box....

12 posts in this topic

....and it took readings from Friday morning to Tuesday noon. The readings showed a steady temperature of 73.5 F which didn't vary at all - maybe half a degree. The relative humidity was always 41-43 %.

I guess I'm okay with this result. The temp is a little high I guess, but there are no fluctuations. The outdoor temp varied from 57-81 F during this time. I guess I'm just going to check it once more in the winter and once more during a hot summer stretch, and then assume the safety deposit box is good enough. I have a few high-grade comics (Church, etc) that I plan on keeping in there for a long time, so I worry some.

Any thoughts???

Definately do a summer heat check, and I'd recheck if you find out that the bank has a new manager (new manager might change the after-hours HVAC standards)

but yeah those are good numbers, what part of the world are you in (just for reference, nothing specific)

The readings showed a steady temperature of 73.5 F which didn't vary at all - maybe half a degree. The relative humidity was always 41-43 %.

I guess I'm okay with this result. The temp is a little high I guess, but there are no fluctuations. The outdoor temp varied from 57-81 F during this time.

Any thoughts???

The temp is a little high for me, but if you have them in slabs or in mylars with micro-chamber paper, hopefully the micro-chamber will compensate.

If you don't trust their climate control - for instance, when the outside temp drops below 73.5, they may not be controlling humidity (so I would check you readings in mid-October, too) - there's a product called Art Sorb that is supposed to be the bee's knees. (I've never used it myself.)

http://www.artsorbonline.com/

What is the ideal temp range and generally what is the long term impact of higher temps, tanning, brittleness, etc.?

Another boardie (West/Timely) said 68 was a good temp, so I've been trying to keep mine around there (say 66 to 70). I used to keep my books even cooler than that and may again if I learn something new. (Once upon a time, I think I heard "50 degrees, 50% humidity" stated as an ideal somewhere or other.) I never paid a lot of attention to temp variations in the past, but there seems to be a consensus among boardies that temperature fluctuations are bad.

Heat will definitely degrade page quality and (I assume) cause tanning and transfer staining as well.

Do you keep books in a separately air conditioned room? I assume you don't cool your whole house down for the sake of the books?

Ken

Actually I do, now that I'm keeping them in the 66 - 70 range. I've been fortunate (utility-bill wise) in that it's been a moderately cool summer here in Michigan.

In the past I've kept them in one room, kept cooler than the others by directing cooled air to it through the vents during the summer, and less heat (or no heat) during the winter, but it was pretty difficult to keep the temperature steady that way. I'm taking a bit of a leap of faith that a steady, slightly-warmer temperature is better than colder temps with more fluctuations.

Thanks for the responses. I'm in Minnesota, so yeah the temp varies greatly. I will check again when the temp drops, and I will keep updated on new management or whatever could affect bank procedures/temp.

Jimbo, what were you saying about micro-chamber paper? What's that? Right now I just have my comics in a safety deposit box. Nothing else is in the box except comics. All are in CGC slabs except one, which is in the typical 'mylar bag' I think it's called.

Thanks for the responses. I'm in Minnesota, so yeah the temp varies greatly. I will check again when the temp drops, and I will keep updated on new management or whatever could affect bank procedures/temp.

Jimbo, what were you saying about micro-chamber paper? What's that? Right now I just have my comics in a safety deposit box. Nothing else is in the box except comics. All are in CGC slabs except one, which is in the typical 'mylar bag' I think it's called.

CGC slabs include microchamber paper, so you don't have to worry about those. It's a thin, archival paper that's meant to absorb acids and other contaminants and protect the book. The CGC puts one sheet between each cover and the interior pages. I'd recommend getting some and using it with the book that's in the mylar bag. A lot of people put a third sheet in the center of the book.

Here is some technical info on it.:

http://www.conservationresources.com/Main/section_15/section15_03.htm

http://www.conservationresources.com/Main/S%20CATALOG/MicroChamber.htm

http://www.conservationresources.com/Main/S%20CATALOG/Archival%20Papers.htm

Do you keep books in a separately air conditioned room? I assume you don't cool your whole house down for the sake of the books?

Ken

Actually I do, now that I'm keeping them in the 66 - 70 range. I've been fortunate (utility-bill wise) in that it's been a moderately cool summer here in Michigan.

In the past I've kept them in one room, kept cooler than the others by directing cooled air to it through the vents during the summer, and less heat (or no heat) during the winter, but it was pretty difficult to keep the temperature steady that way. I'm taking a bit of a leap of faith that a steady, slightly-warmer temperature is better than colder temps with more fluctuations.

Man, if I tried to keep the whole house in that temp range through the summer, I'd end up in the poor house or divorce court -- probably both!

Ken

Man, if I tried to keep the whole house in that temp range through the summer, I'd end up in the poor house or divorce court -- probably both!

Being terminally single has kept me out of divorce court many times! :grin: