• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tales from the Database 2003

47 posts in this topic

OK, Here's another scenerio on this hypothetical situation that you might have left out: What if the "Little Old Lady" is a scum-bag (or does gender dictate that I say "person_who_is_obnoxiously_self-impressed-bag")?

Hammer! There are NO shades of gray here! She could have EATEN her son's gangrenous, amputated leg for breakfast and she would STILL be angelic and utterly without reproach, you amoral, ankle-biting, festering sore on the of society!

heh Hetty Green was slightly crazy. She actually tried to take her son to a free clinic and was kicked out when they found out who she was. Yes the great depresion helped form her mind about money, but she was also a ruthless women when it came to business. Alternately, when she died her son built up one of the greatest coin collections of all time, besides donating large sums of his inheritance (and spending gobs on crazy stuff, as he wasnt all their either, just like his mum).

I don't think the Great Depression had anything to do with Hetty Green and how she viewed money, seeing as she died in 1916 and the Great Depression started in 1929. Her son wasn't that crazy, either.

Read the Hetty Green story here.

oops now that I think of it, Hetty died before the great depresion (1916?) , so that didnt have anything to do with it, she was just miserly. crazy.gif

oops beat to it by donut crazy.gif I dunno, I think he was crazy, mostly the side effect of his mom probably. I have read a few works about Hetty and Colonel Green.

Hammer, in case you didn't understand, this old lady is quite real. The situation is not hypothetical, it really happened. I was there. Also, please ease up on the name calling. I happen to like this little old lady quite a bit. I was very much a part of a once in a lifetime situation being able to buy many of the comics I've always wanted to own in one fell swoop. Her calling me made it all possible. After everything was said and done, she did mention the money she got for the collection was really going to help out with her retirement so I don't think she has millions, or evern thousands for that matter (although now she does) Also, her son really did pass away sometime in the year 2000.When I first met her around January of 2001, she was still very much getting over her loss. Several times when she would talk about selling the books, she'd get quite teary-eyed just talking about it. It was a very emotional time for her.

As far as her having a lot of money that I don't know about, it's possible.At any rate, thanks for the question even if it was a bit mis-directed.