• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fair price for a Planet Comics 48 with a double cover?

15 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

a seller has a Planet Comics #48. It is the version where the front cover has the printing registration slightly off.

The condition of the comic from what I was able to see through the bag I was not allowed to open is an 8.0. I have several Planets in 7.0-7.5-8.0-8.5 range and this book is similar. The front is nicer than the back, the front is 8.5, the back is 7.0. The book apparently has a double cover but I was not able to open it up to verify at first review of the book.

The seller is asking for 800.00, and based on what I see in GPA and recent sales ( including the CGC 7.5 that sold on Heritage a few months ago I am thinking that is high.

Now all that said, if the inner cover is an improvement then the book is a solid purchase IMHO.

The double cover is what is throwing me off. What do you guys think is a fair price for the book without seeing a pic?

The book apparently has a double cover but I was not able to open it up to verify at first review of the book.

Huh? (shrug)

The seller told me it has a double cover but the book is inside a fortress so I couldn't open it up to look at it when I had it in hand earlier. I am going back to have another viewing this evening.

Hey guys,

The double cover is what is throwing me off. What do you guys think is a fair price for the book without seeing a pic?

To me, the value of a double cover is that it often protects the inner cover. I wouldn't pay extra for a double cover; I suppose some people might if that's specifically what they're looking for. But if the inner cover is in the VF/NM range and the page quality is nice, the price might not be too far off.

Thanks,

I appreciated the feedback. I decided to purchase the book, here is a scan and some pics:

My scanner needs to be replaced. The black lines in the scan are not on the book and the book itself is beautiful in hand, the scan is terrible.

PlanetComics48front_zpsec2cc50f.jpg

PlanetComics48doublecoverfrontA2_zps210f067d.jpg

0b512ada-c641-4510-bb26-190d8822c24d_zps66651556.jpg

Incredible color of the inner cover and bone white pages. I thin the book is a solid 9.2 possibly higher now that it is out of the fortress.

If you think that interior cover would grade out at 9.2, then $800 is more than a fair price (since it looks like a 9.0 book sells over a grand)

Personally I'm not a fan of the off-set printing registry, it hurts my eyes (literally). So to me that holds the price down while the double cover off sets any value hit the printing defect might cause.

If you think that interior cover would grade out at 9.2, then $800 is more than a fair price (since it looks like a 9.0 book sells over a grand)

Personally I'm not a fan of the off-set printing registry, it hurts my eyes (literally). So to me that holds the price down while the double cover off sets any value hit the printing defect might cause.

It is exactly how I feel. I thought the double cover feature offset the negatives from the printing defect.

It is exactly how I feel. I thought the double cover feature offset the negatives from the printing defect.

Technically speaking, a double cover is a production defect. It just happens to be a particularly cool one. :)

Technically speaking, a double cover is a production defect. It just happens to be a particularly cool one. :)

valid point.. it's the lone wide-spread production defect that I can think of that potentially increases the books value... (there are the random ones specific to a particiular comic like the Venom no-foil covers, and the Green Lantern "tear drop", but for general production errors, multi-covers are the only one that increase the value.