• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC 10.0 (with a qualifier?)

39 posts in this topic

I would imagine they're an unwitnessed signature on the FC. Probably a Linsner book or some modern.

I thought the same thing, but then I forgot about what Gemma said, above. It contradicts that theory. If anything, I figured it would be Venom books, but they are not. They say because its more than a fluke, that its almost considered variant of some sort.. It gets a blue label. How do they explain the white covered one? That's a one of a kind as of today, and not a super duper rare "variant" like the black cover. hm Shouldn't the white covered book have been a GLOD book?

I always think about that, though. Like, if a 9.8 with a sig that wasn't verified were graded, would it have gotten a 9.9 if it were yellow?

Great question.

A Qualified book that's qualified due to an unverified sig on the cover and a Signature Series book with a verified sig are graded exactly the same way - the signature is ignored. The only exception is if the signature is smudged - in which case it will affect the grade.

Guest Grails
I always think about that, though. Like, if a 9.8 with a sig that wasn't verified were graded, would it have gotten a 9.9 if it were yellow?

Great question.

A Qualified book that's qualified due to an unverified sig on the cover and a Signature Series book with a verified sig are graded exactly the same way - the signature is ignored. The only exception is if the signature is smudged - in which case it will affect the grade.

(thumbs u

I imagine its possible. 10.0 with a unwitnessed sig.

That's what I'm thinking.. And the Venom lethal protector 10.0?

Can you clarify which issue of Venom you are talking about? The Black cover?

Yep.

Great question.

(thumbs u

Ok, but why don't they use the qualifier for sigs inside the cover? I'd rather have a 10.0 green label, then that perfect book with a 9.8 blue label, with the sig on the inside of the cover. Just me.

Great question.

(thumbs u

Ok, but why don't they use the qualifier for sigs inside the cover? I'd rather have a 10.0 green label, then that perfect book with a 9.8 blue label, with the sig on the inside of the cover. Just me.

Because an interior sig is not enough of a defect to give the book Qualified status.

Yep.

The black cover gets a blue label. I didn't see any 10.0 GLODs in the census, but I have been wrong before, and could be here. I'm not wrong on the blue label, though, I'm looking at my copy.

Yep.

The black cover gets a blue label. I didn't see any 10.0 GLODs in the census, but I have been wrong before, and could be here. .

I already posted in this thread 2 different links to the two 10.0 GLODs in the census.

Yep.

The black cover gets a blue label. I didn't see any 10.0 GLODs in the census, but I have been wrong before, and could be here. I'm not wrong on the blue label, though, I'm looking at my copy.

Correct - Gemma has said the Venom LP Black gets the blue label.

I guess an error cover, such as the Cable #1 with missing gold ink could get a qulaified 10.0 but as always, I could be wrong.

-slym

Yep.

Correct - Gemma has said the Venom LP Black gets the blue label.

I guess an error cover, such as the Cable #1 with missing gold ink could get a qulaified 10.0 but as always, I could be wrong.

-slym

Right, but why did the Venom with the white cover get a blue label? They've said the black cover is more of a "variant" because of how many they've found. Hence, the blue label. What's their reasoning for the white cover?

Great question.

(thumbs u

Because an interior sig is not enough of a defect to give the book Qualified status.

Well, I strongly disagree with this policy, but that matters little in this case. A signature that is not witnessed should be treated the same, regardless of where it's at. I'm hoping that one day, all of the GLOD signatured books can be cracked and authenticated either by CGC or another party that would collaborate with them. Smell that?? That's the smell of new business!

Guest Grails
I'm hoping that one day, all of the GLOD signatured books can be cracked and authenticated either by CGC or another party that would collaborate with them. Smell that?? That's the smell of new business!

There is no signature authentication service that can guarantee a signature after the fact. Not even PSA/DNA. Though they have their own witnessing program now for current signings. They can only offer their opinion as to the authenticity of an unwitnessed signature.

PSA has been slabbing (meaning pretty certain) non graded, non witnessed, "authenticated" signatures on cards for years. Does CGC have a written guarantee? I don't think PSA does. As far as cracking comics with unwitnessed sigs, and having them authenticated to avoid downgrade or GLOD, I think it's a terrific idea. No, there's no 100% guarantee it is authentic, but it would be up to a buyer to decide whether or not the authenticators are legit, and have a good reputation. They'd never have the certainty of a SS book, but it beats getting that downgrade or green label. Compared to sports cards, and gradable cards, there's only a small amount of writers/artists etc, which would make it easier on them. It also doesn't hurt the values of SS books, or make them any less desirable.