• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So what made you start selling comics? First transaction?

58 posts in this topic

I sell to support myself while I finish college (decided to go back last year) and I sell to reinvest.

In 2 years, I see myself increasing buying and dramatically decreasing my selling unless I come across collections on craigslist.

In 2003 I decided to get rid of my collection. I dug up my comic boxes and started listing them on eBay, starting with my favorites because I thought those would be worth the most. They weren't. None of them were worth anything really that I could tell. So I stopped and decided I'd rather keep them. As I was putting them away I'd see some I never finished a story on and wanted to read the story. I didn't start buying comics for five more years though, after a friend mentioned to me he liked comics and bought them really cheap on eBay. Then I remembered the comics I wanted to read, got on eBay, and saw how cheap they were. I bought like crazy, more than I could read. I ended up selling as a necessity at that point, to keep the clutter down and to get rid of comics I didn't like or knew I would never get around to reading. I still only sell as a necessity.

In the 1980s, I had lots of debt ( to the wrong type of people)

To get out of it, I sold my sets of Silver Surfer 1-18 & X-men 1-up

To this day, I still regret it and even though I have long since replaced them, I sell and have sold next to nothing.

Since I have been on the boards, I have sold twice, after boardies PMd me about comics I had shown, that were of interest to them.

I dont feel bad about these sales at all, as I felt like it was my choice to help someone out with their collection.

The first time, I felt like I had a gun to my head ( and probably would have had soon )

I started selling just for the fun of it and hopefully to make a little extra cash. I enjoy the hobby and the LCS's around here kind of suck. The few here didn't really concentrate on comics. A couple did but were really fly by night kind of operations. So I wanted to start selling online and grow a new business here. Never got around to opening a story here but still sell online/ebay.

First started for me last year when I joined this forums and was looking at the " moderns heating up eBay" and say that revival #1 was a $15-20 dollar book, was at the LCS and saw they had about 30 of them. Just to say I went back and bought all of them, bought some nice silver age books with the profit. Figured it was easy way to buy moderns replace the money spent on the raws back in the bank account, and use profit to buy key books.

Never sold a book, and hope never to get in a pinch where I have to sell books.

The word "profit" gets thrown around a lot, but most people don't understand it. It's nice to buy a stack of books, and make $100 "profit", but if you haven't considered the hours you've spent bagging, scanning, listing, and shipping them, you have no true understanding of their cost. Your time has to be worth something. The guys that do this for a living know they not only have to cover the cost of the books, but pay themselves a salary, and account for overhead (supplies, utilities, dinner with the wife because "you're always playing with your books!")

Has anyone mentioned marriage+children yet?! :)

This was/is my motivation. Trying to sell books from my collection that I'm not attached to....for diaper money...ugh.

Also, agree with the above posters about moderns...I enjoy the occasional flip to fund my ongoing reading habits!

The word "profit" gets thrown around a lot, but most people don't understand it. It's nice to buy a stack of books, and make $100 "profit", but if you haven't considered the hours you've spent bagging, scanning, listing, and shipping them, you have no true understanding of their cost. Your time has to be worth something. The guys that do this for a living know they not only have to cover the cost of the books, but pay themselves a salary, and account for overhead (supplies, utilities, dinner with the wife because "you're always playing with your books!")

I dedicate approx 10-12 hrs a week to my HOBBY and make approx 1500 a month PROFIT (after expenses) on a slow month. Now it sure aint alot but assuming you have 30 or so more hours left for the week to dedicate to other activities and wifey it sure is great ;)

Just got a daredevil #7 7.5 cgc for 97% off GPA due to profit

Just got a daredevil 7.5 cgc for 97% off GPA due to profit

daredevil #87?

Just got a daredevil 7.5 cgc for 97% off GPA due to profit

daredevil #87?

I'm sorry a daredevil #7 7.5