• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Latest Addition to the Family!

9 posts in this topic

I just started collecting Signature Series Books this year.

So I find it a lot easier for sure to just purchase a book already signed and slabbed as well as it saves a heck of a lot of time :) I do enjoy the chase of tracking down my favorite artists to meet face to face and obtain an auto on one of my favorite works of theirs.

But man thanks to E-bay I can actually just wait for some items to arrive via USPS.

My most recent purchase and addition to the family is a CGC SS 9.8 copy of Crisis on Infinite Earths #1. This book represents what I believe was one of the most important books published by DC in the last 30 years. It totally re-defined the DC Universe

as we know it today. Not to mention the series went on to produce multiple events that would completely alter the course of the future for the company and all of its characters.

This along with a slew of others is the highest graded SS copy available at the time of purchase and as many of you know I am a huge George Perez fan.

I may attempt to complete the entire set as SS otherwise I will simply send in one of the sets I have and have them slabbed just to show the completed set.

Enjoy the pics :)

14153.jpg

See more journals by Dre

Congratulations!

Your copy looks perfectly wrapped and you also have excellent signature placement! It appears stunning against the light blue color of the earth AND is also perfectly aligned with the midline of the book and the CGC label!

Great acquisition!

-Professor Pecora

Earlier this year I sent my run to Bagofleas to get Perez to SS. I am hoping for (of course) at least 9.8's

This series has got to be one of the most detailed artwork I have seen. Great stuff.

great addition Mr. A

Thank to all you guy's, I value all of your input :D

Now the question I pose to the "League of Extraordinary Collector's".

Which route would your choose for obtaining SS books for your collection?

A. The easy way just purchase them from an online site if available such as E- bay.

B. Have raw comics signed and witnessed for submitting and wait for the grades.

or

C. Submit books that have already been graded by CGC, have them cracked and then signed and resubmitted for signature series label.

I would appreciate any input.

Thanks,

A~

Thank to all you guy's, I value all of your input :D

Now the question I pose to the "League of Extraordinary Collector's".

Which route would your choose for obtaining SS books for your collection?

A. The easy way just purchase them from an online site if available such as E- bay.

B. Have raw comics signed and witnessed for submitting and wait for the grades.

or

C. Submit books that have already been graded by CGC, have them cracked and then signed and resubmitted for signature series label.

I would appreciate any input.

Thanks,

A~

Hello A,

From my personal experiences in acquiring over 50 SS books for my previous Wolverine Sets, I did a combination of all 3 of your choices!

For me, I tended NOT to purchase SS books off of eBay, for the simple fact that I took great pleasure in designing my own custom signing templates, unique to each book's cover art and taking ownership of the signature placement and feeling "a part" of the entire process. Then, once you receive your books back from the CGC, you can't compare the level of pride and accomplishment you feel compared to simply purchasing a CGC SS copy from eBay! :) Moreover, you can look at the signature and say, "that is the exact color and location that I intentionally wanted the specific artist/writer to place his signature!"

So how did I go about it? I cracked most of my 9.8s for SS submissions. If you and the CGC SS authorized dealers handle the books properly, it is very seldom that a book will be returned as a lower grade. Out of about 45 SS submissions, I believe I had 4 return to me as an SS 9.6, but after I had them pressed by Matt Nelson of CCS, they were once again regarded as a CGC SS 9.8!

Unfortunately, one time I had one of my 9.8's mishandled by Desert Wind Comics, and it was reduced down to a CGC SS 9.4! If your books drop down 2 grades or more from a 9.8, then something definitely went wrong with the handling process, as that should NOT happen! They did in fact offer to buy me a new 9.8 and took full accountability for the grade reduction, as I had before and after scans of the book, which you could clearly see that there were no spine stresses prior to the book being cracked! Overall, cracking 9.8s open for signature placement isn't bad at all! Just be careful, and you should be fine!

In terms of having raw books signed - this is actually the most economical way to acquire signatures, as you would pay less for a high grade raw copy as opposed to it's CGC graded version. However, you really have to be extremely picky and be highly accurate when grading your raw books. My philosophy when determining whether a raw book will make the 9.8 cut, is that the book should look like it could possibly be graded as a CGC 9.9! Therefore, chances are that you will indeed receive the CGC SS 9.8 that you're looking for! I have had some success with this method as well, but I have also received a few 9.4s on the flip-side, as shipping "raw" books can become more easily damaged in the shipping process as opposed to the CGC 9.8s being protected in their slabs. Therefore, to be totally secure that you're book is a 9.8 prior to submitting for an SS, I prefer cracking the CGC 9.8 open. Also, if the book isn't that expensive, you can also start purchasing "doubles," so that just in case your book gets reduced a grade or two, you'll still have a clean Universal CGC 9.8!

Before I end this, I do want to add that although it is rare that I purchase Signature Series books from eBay, I made a few exceptions! Similar to your most recent acquisition, if the signature placement meets my personal standards in terms of its color coordination and layout, I might possibly make the purchase!

What I really can't stand is how so many collectors ruin the integrity of the original cover art by just having multiple artists/ writers sign all over it at random!! When I see the final product, I feel like the entire CGC case is now showcasing just signatures, and not the actual beauty of the comic! For me, I think there has to be a fine line as to how many signatures you add on a particular book, because once you go overboard, you kill the aesthetic appeal of the comic's artwork! So definitely get involved in taking the time out to design "custom signing templates," as it will make a HUGE difference in the overall SS presentation!

I hope that this has helped!

-Professor Pecora

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you Professor! I love the input, I thought I was being old fashioned in that I don't like a lot of signatures on the cover of a book period (not even the artist :( . In the old days it was taboo to sign the front cover unless it was a very, very special issue (Amazing Spider-man #28 all black cover) .

I view each cover as a work of art and as such one of the first things you learn as an art student is not to touch the work of another artist unless you have their permission. So their are certain lines I still will not cross, such as I would never allow anyone else sign on a cover that was done by one of the old timers like Neal Adams, Jim Steranko, Berni Wrightson or Barry Windsor Smith. I will also never have anyone sign on the cover of a Jack Kirby book out of my respect for his work.

I will definitely use your tips on placement of signature as I think that could detract more from the covers beauty if not place in a perfect spot on the book.

I don't know if I can get into having 5 signatures on a cover because it does really show more concern for the signatures than the art in my humble opinion.

I have been watching with astonishment as you assemble your X-men SS collection and living vicariously through you so please keep up the great work!

Best,

Andre