• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Reprint interest when books skyrocket

28 posts in this topic

Marvel Comics #1. The November dated books are the most expensive second prints in the hobby.

I'm guessing there's a lot of Superman #1 2nd prints out there which would test that statement. ;) (though of course, last I heard, no one has found a way to distinguish two of the three printings)

Supes #1 3rd print is definitely the most expensive third print in the hobby.

Whenever I've brought this up on the Golden Age boards it's met with telling silence.

Marvel Comics #1. The November dated books are the most expensive second prints in the hobby.

I'm guessing there's a lot of Superman #1 2nd prints out there which would test that statement. ;) (though of course, last I heard, no one has found a way to distinguish two of the three printings)

Whenever I've brought this up on the Golden Age boards it's met with telling silence.

I wonder why? hm

Also I guess Batman #1 from 1940 might have had a second print that is not acknowledged as well. One Batman had a dot,and the other didn't.

BATMAN #1 1940 dot or no dot

I googled the fire and got This article. Very interesting with pictures of water/fire damaged books.

Cool, but sold to NeatStuff? Scorched or not, everything a solid G/VG! :sick:

Met him once at a Wizard World in Boston, and those books would've had a happier fate if they'd just disappeared in the fire.

I googled the fire and got This article. Very interesting with pictures of water/fire damaged books.

Cool, but sold to NeatStuff? Scorched or not, everything a solid G/VG! :sick:

Met him once at a Wizard World in Boston, and those books would've had a happier fate if they'd just disappeared in the fire.

I believe Dan Fogel (Hippy Comix) was still involved at some level, and either was brokering them through or selling them for Michael Carbonaro. Been awhile, but I remember the two working together when neat stuff was selling UG's.

I can't think of many second printings (reprints) that are as valuable as a Donahue Zap Comix 1. Still a huge gap between first (Plymell) and second (Donahue) printings, but in 9.4, the Donahue Zap 1 is a $1500 book.

That's not the only GA key to have more than one printing. Batman 1 for sure and I'm pretty certain Superman 1 as well. Im sure ther are others. There are slight differences like "no 1" vs "no. 1" on the batman

But at the end of the day that's a little different than what we think of as a reprint today. I'd say those ga key reprintings like the marvel 1 are more like first and second "states" in the rare book trade

I wonder why? hm

Also I guess Batman #1 from 1940 might have had a second print that is not acknowledged as well. One Batman had a dot,and the other didn't.

BATMAN #1 1940 dot or no dot

That thread's gone :o