• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Black Costume Spidey

12 posts in this topic

I'm confused about his first apperance with the new costume. We all agree that Secret Wars #8 is when he gets the costume, but recently I've seen claims to Amazing Spidey #252 being the true first apperance of the costume. Can someone please enlighten me about which book is truely his first apperance with the black symboite costume?

Actually ASM #252 ties with Spectacular Spider-man #90 and Marvel Team-Up #141 for first appearance of new black costume according to OSPG 2004. Why ASM #252 is worth crazy money and SS #90 and MTU #141 are worth nothing is the question that needs to be answered? I can only assume it is just because Amazing Spider-man is the flagship title.

As Kev points out, ASM 252 was on the shelves months before Secret Wars #8. Even though it's the first "in continuity" appearance, Secret Wars #8 is something like the 29th appearance of the new costume as the books appeared on the shelves.

As for why ASM and not the other titles, all books cover dated with the same month are not released on the same day. ASM #252 was the first on the shelves beating the other Spider-Man books mentioned by a week or two.

It's funny but you can immediately tell who was collecting at this point and who wasn't by where people fall on knowledge of this issue. If you were around, you just knew, because it was as obvious as the nose on your face that the first time the black costume appeared was in ASM 252. If you weren't and continuity and cover dates are all you've got to go on, things get muddled.

It's funny but you can immediately tell who was collecting at this point and who wasn't by where people fall on knowledge of this issue. If you were around, you just knew, because it was as obvious as the nose on your face that the first time the black costume appeared was in ASM 252. If you weren't and continuity and cover dates are all you've got to go on, things get muddled.

Yup. And it's only going to get worse as time goes by.

SpideySense... ASM 252 was the first book on the stands with the black costume that month, preceeding Spectacular and Team-Up. Hence the announcement on the cover heralding the arrival of Spidey's new threads.

ASM 253 is the fourth appearance of the costume.

Story-wise it is also the first appearance of the costume in the Marvel Universe proper as he actually emerges from the Beyonder's device in Central Park in that issue in the new costume.

I was collecting at the time, but I was a youngster and didn't go to the comic shop every week. I went to the book store, drug store, local quick mart, or super market whenever my Mom took me so I could by some books. confused-smiley-013.gif I could of picked them all up at the same time.

You hit the nail on the head. Remember walking into the Million Year Picnic in Harvard Square on a Friday afternoon after classes and picked up ASM 252 the day it hit the stands. It was followed a week or two later by the other books mentioned.

Yeah, I remember going to the comic store the week after the book came out and already the owner had put it on the wall for $5 -- 8 times cover at the time. It was really a groundbreaking book at the time -- changing the costume of Spiderman. If I remember correctly, I wasn't until Secret Wars #8 did we find out the full origin of the costume.

Seeing as the current spidey titles wouldn't be the same without the costume in some form (being venom or just the symbiote) I wonder if there was a good amount of acceptance or out right protesting, fire-buring, player hater backlash that we tend to do today. heh.

At first I liked the new costume (actually I liked it more when the spider was red as they originally previewed it in Marvel Age), and then it appeared in ASM 252 and the stories were pretty good and the outfit was kind of fun and freaky (absorbing his camera and transforming into whatever clothes he needed) and then it was revealed to be a symbiote and was gone (just around the same time - possibly before - he actually got the suit in Secret Wars) and he was back in the regular suit and Mary Jane revealed that she knew his secret... which was much more important stuff!

Then his then girlfriend the Black Cat sewed him a cloth version and it became his "night" costume and it got silly. But by then Amazing was sucking pretty bad (Tom DeFalco was writing it) that I dropped the Spider-Man books altogether (Spectacular wasn't very good and Team-Up was finally put out of it's misery to be replaced by the even more lacklustre Web) and I didn't come back until ASM 298 (when the Incredible Hulk's artist moved over to ASM). I don't recall there being a lot of controversy, just a lot of suckage.

The cgc notes to Secret Wars #8 say that it is the origin of the costume not the first app.

By the way I am selling a CGC graded copy of Secret Wars #8 in 9.9 mint on comiclinkexpress in the for sale section.